Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where is the Cammys thread?  (Read 5766 times)

Description:

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
Re: Where is the Cammys thread?
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 12:47:02 PM »
Wow! I just saw this post on an Amiga FB page linking to an old interview with Cammy from 2011 and then I see this topic and Cammy posting in it!

Amazing!

http://obligement.free.fr/articles_traduction/itwjackie_en.php

Nice to see you around Cammy, personally I think you make the Amiga community better (girls have that effect) and if you are ever in Melbourne please come along to the AUG meeting, we'd luv to meet you in person. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 03:02:32 PM »
Sad to hear Cammy.  You don't owe anybody anything, so you could hardly fail the Amiga community. Take care, I hope there are some people you can turn to. The beast tackles most of us at some time or another, facing it on your own is doubly hard.
 I wish you all the best, as I am sure the rest here at AORG do.

Offline Rob

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 07:06:41 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;772756
I'm struggling with depression which isn't easy because I don't have any friends or family for support. I would like to get back into the Amiga community but I don't feel welcome anymore. I feel like I have failed you all.

It sounds like a few people already replied in this thread that understand how you feel at the moment and would be there to talk if you want to.

You shouldn't feel unwelcome here, especially when people here have been missing you and wondering where you were.

You have failed nobody, you have done more for the community than many have done and you have obligation or duty to do so.

I hope we see you posting here more frequently.  Take care.

Offline Cammy

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
Thank you all for your support, you've made me feel like maybe I shouldn't be afraid to post here. I still feel like I've failed the Amiga community because I had so many ideas for how to help, and for a little while I was able to communicate with others who could help make these ideas happen, but as well as spending too much time helping people with their individual problems (the reason I wrote a few guides was because so many people were asking me to help them through things step-by-step) I was also receiving a lot of criticism and negativity from several people in the community which really got me down. My online life means a lot to me because it's impossible for me to make friends or communicate easily in real life. I ended up meeting a few guys in real life after chatting on the forums or IRC, but they seemed weirded out by me and avoided contact afterwards. A lot of people ended up dumping their old, broken Commodore and Amiga junk on me, and this stuff was already piling up here. I have no idea about soldering or hardware repairs and the only person I knew who could fix them (AmigaManiac) also got depression and had a breakdown. So I feel like I can't move with the burden of all of this junk and responsibility and broken promises and failed dreams weighing me down.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline mrmoonlight

• Show only replies by mrmoonlight
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 09:13:10 PM »
Hi Cammy I think you are very brave to come forward and say how you feel and I applaud you for your inner strength, and I am sure most people will understand only too well how you feel ,but there are no failed dreams or broken promises Cammy as you have helped for so long and tirelessly to make the Amiga dream happen and that's no failed dream my friend and they say only Amiga can make it happen and maybe you now deserve to be right along that wonderful saying, take care and you have a rest because you deserve one ,very best wishes Brian.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 09:21:08 PM by mrmoonlight »
Amiga 1200 E-Matrix 32 bit Fast-Ram 20 gb wd harddrive
Amiga 1200 Compact Flash CF IDE Back Plate Adapter

Hisoft promidi Interface
MP3 MAS player
Amiga 600
ACA620EC Accelerator Kipper/type
CF 4GB
C/F HD
 Pioneer CD/DVD
Hisoft promidi Interface

Offline rednova

• Show only replies by rednova
    • https://sites.google.com/site/rednova3d/
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 12:24:00 AM »
Dear Cammy:

You are one of the greatest amiga developers I've ever met.
I really love hearing from you.
I also think you must be a terrific gal in real life.
I always looked forward on this forum to hear from your latest projects.
Your work enriches the amiga community so much.
Please come back and develop for amiga again !!!

Love you !!!
-mobilis in mobile-

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 03:20:42 AM »
You definitely shouldn't be afraid to post. You belong as much to the forum and Amiga community as the next person. Those that disagree probably don't belong to the community (ipso facto).
This place was lessened by your absence and the missing positive, forward contributions you provided.
As to the hardware, a challenge for another day. One step at a time.
Hope to see you around more Cammy. Take care.

BTW: Dreams can't fail.  They're dreams....

Some words of wisdom from some video game character: ""I may fight alone, but I can always call for backup. I simply can't be beat!"
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 03:35:43 AM by gertsy »

Offline Lord Aga

• Show only replies by Lord Aga
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 04:52:40 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;772996
Thank you all for your support, you've made me feel like maybe I shouldn't be afraid to post here.

You are most welcome to post here, of course :)
Maybe start with an easy gaming review... say, a Street Fighter special :) All those versions on Amiga deserve a proper guide.

Then, about that Amiga gear pile... Try to make a listing. I am sure many Amigans would be interested. You can make yourself some nice cash too :)
Glory to the loud-mouthed Scotsman !

Offline mrmoonlight

• Show only replies by mrmoonlight
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 06:29:29 PM »
Quote from: rednova;773010
Dear Cammy:

You are one of the greatest amiga developers I've ever met.
I really love hearing from you.
I also think you must be a terrific gal in real life.
I always looked forward on this forum to hear from your latest projects.
Your work enriches the amiga community so much.
Please come back and develop for amiga again !!!

Love you !!!

Well said rednova because this just about sums it up and how we all feel ,but what I cant quite grasp is why this thread is hidden away ,as we all know Cammy and she is a dear friend to each and all of us ,and if a friend is in trouble we stand together as the Great Amiga Community that we are and not hide away in the shadows and if Cammy  feels like a natter we are here where we should be together but not hidden away , any way just my thoughts ,and come back soon Cammy ,best wishes Brian.:):):)
Amiga 1200 E-Matrix 32 bit Fast-Ram 20 gb wd harddrive
Amiga 1200 Compact Flash CF IDE Back Plate Adapter

Hisoft promidi Interface
MP3 MAS player
Amiga 600
ACA620EC Accelerator Kipper/type
CF 4GB
C/F HD
 Pioneer CD/DVD
Hisoft promidi Interface

Offline Rob

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 06:53:15 PM »
Thank you all for your support, you've made me feel like maybe I shouldn't be afraid to post here. I still feel like I've failed the Amiga community because I had so many ideas for how to help, and for a little while I was able to communicate with others who could help make these ideas happen, but as well as spending too much time helping people with their individual problems (the reason I wrote a few guides was because so many people were asking me to help them through things step-by-step) I was also receiving a lot of criticism and negativity from several people in the community which really got me down. My online life means a lot to me because it's impossible for me to make friends or communicate easily in real life. I ended up meeting a few guys in real life after chatting on the forums or IRC, but they seemed weirded out by me and avoided contact afterwards. A lot of people ended up dumping their old, broken Commodore and Amiga junk on me, and this stuff was already piling up here. I have no idea about soldering or hardware repairs and the only person I knew who could fix them (AmigaManiac) also got depression and had a breakdown. So I feel like I can't move with the burden of all of this junk and responsibility and broken promises and failed dreams weighing me down.

Certainly don't feel afraid to post here, there are certainly people here who'd much rather see you here more frequently.

I hope you could make it the AUG meeting in Melbourne some day there might be people there who can help you deal with all the surplus gear you have although try selling  or giving it away online first.  If you get the chance to meet new people try not to let past experience put you off.  Don't worry about the people who didn't remain friends, it's their loss and not yours.
Remember you're an amazing person with varied interests and real depth, anyone lucky enough to be your friend should treasure that.

In case you haven't kept up there's a couple of app stores on the way which I seem to remember was an idea first proposed by you.  Even while you've been away it would seem that your inspiration has shone brightly.

Don't ever feel you failed the Amiga community, you have done far more than many people here and you had no obligation to do so.  Just try to relax and have some fun while you're here.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 08:32:30 AM »
@Cammy

You are welcome here.  Feel free to message me on Facebook or email if you have any questions or problems.  I can't promise you I'll have all the answers, but my wife and I are both techies (I'm an Amiga techie and she's a Photoshop techie).

I hope that the AmigaE that I showed you before was helpful.  If you want, I'm trying to start a tutorial on C programming for RedNova on http://www.amigacoding.de though I haven't had much time lately.  You're welcome to join us there, if you like.

Offline wrath of khan

• Show only replies by wrath of khan
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 01:47:13 PM »

Hi Cammy darling.
I have suffered with depression and anxiety since I was a child.
I have recently done a course of Cognitive behavioural therapy and thus far it has literally turned my life around.
I cannot recommend it enough.
Medication never really worked for me.

There are still tough days, but now I have the tools to get through them, and there are many great days too.
I am trying to improve relations with others too as I also have a hard time making new friends; anxiety does that to a person.

D'ont think so badly of yourself, I'm sure that you are a beautiful person and Please post here whenever you like.
I think that it is obvious that this thread and the other exist only because people here really like you.

Take care.

Offline mechy

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 02:38:36 AM »
Quote from: Cammy;772756
I'm struggling with depression which isn't easy because I don't have any friends or family for support. I would like to get back into the Amiga community but I don't feel welcome anymore. I feel like I have failed you all.

Cammy, we understand the depression, its a tough thing to fight. You have not failed anyone!
Just the opposite really, the guides you have done for shapeshifter and other things have been great!
Amiga is in your blood.

Mech

Offline Cammy

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2014, 04:19:07 AM »
You guys are the best, thank you so much for cheering me up and for your great advice. I'm going to start making threads about my ideas and I really hope we can have some constructive conversations about them.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2014, 11:50:07 AM »

I for one am really glad you are back Cammy, you're a great person!
It's easy to be too friendly and help too many people. That happens to me a lot, I take on machine after machine IRL (not only Amigas, but video game consoles, arcade systems, other PC's and even dead monitors) to fix and at several points I don't even have time for my own projects.
The important thing to learn that also is hard is to say "no", it's a hard word to use sometimes, especially when you know the people, but I noticed people accepted that I didn't have time at the moment and now I only take on stuff I've got the spare time for :)

I pick up a lot of cool stuff in Sweden (not only Amiga hardware) and I meet a lot of strange people and even rude pompous know it all types of people, but now and then I actually find someone who becomes a friend and that's great.
 (bonding over retro hardware with a stranger can be really great since you know you have at least something in common)

I hid my age for several years online since people I met strangely did not respect me or take me seriously because of my age (I'm born in 1986 but grew up with older machines). In late 2012 I got contacted about my Amigas by a computer magazine for IT professionals. They wanted to make an article in the retro sections about my A1200 which I gladly accepted since I wanted more people to get back into Amiga. Tho I did not share the article for quite some time since I did not want to show people that I was a bit younger (they didn't write my age but the picture shows that I'm a bit younger), but about a year ago I went %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@! it, I know what I am capable off and I'm not letting anyone piss on me because of my age, and surprisingly most people didn't even mention it. A few guys have given me a hard time but I just don't care since I know what I am capable of and age is not that important, heck most of my real life retro friends are 10-30 years older then me, doesn't bother me or them which is great!

Also thanks a lot for posting you got me to write the above which felt kinda good to get out!

The ones that stopped talking to you are not worth your time anyways, their loss not yours! I hope you don't think everyone is like that!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 07:43:11 PM by som99 »

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 19, 2014, 04:21:27 PM »
I'm very happy to see you've checked back in, Cammy - and I certainly hope you did not take peoples' concern for you as them being disrespectful or insensitive to whatever baggage you are dealing with IRL on a daily basis.  No one here was speaking ill about you, or trying to air some form of "dirty laundry".  There's no dirty laundry to air - you're a valued member and friend here on A.org, as well as other Amiga sites, and people were concerned about you and simply wondered if you hadn't given up on us Amigans as a whole, heh.

No one, including myself in what I said in the other thread - meant any harm.

You owe nothing to anyone but yourself, and you sure as heck don't owe anything to a bunch of guys that are merely associates online because you share a passion for the thing we call "Amiga".  There are thousands of people left in this community, and many of them, including myself - don't make much of a "dent in the universe".  You certainly have had a great impact in furthering the community and bridging gaps, and don't forget that - ever.  Good people are hard to come by, Cammy - and you're good people.

What you owe yourself is happiness, and doing things in your spare time that you truly love.  If there's anything anyone here can ever do for you, just ask.  Take time for yourself to work out the things you need to, and for Heaven's sake, don't worry that you've ever owed the community here or anywhere else a darned thing.  You take care of you, that's of the most utmost importance  -  and I'll be so bold as to speak for everyone here in saying:

"If you ever need anything, or just someone to talk to, you're among friends here."