Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Thank you all who have made A.org possible  (Read 4447 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: Thank you all who have made A.org possible
« on: February 05, 2014, 01:57:37 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;758429
the site is good, users good... ok, but why some important users go away from here? is just a question.

I think the day the site was intentionally taken down by it's (then) owner over a dispute with someone was a final straw for many.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: Thank you all who have made A.org possible
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 02:07:41 PM »
Quote from: AmigaFreak;758449
What's the issue with AmigaOS 4? - Why does no one like it? - I'm just curious, cause I read some of the negative comments and since I don't know much about OS4 I wonder why it's disliked so much.

It's a long story, stretching back over 10 years. Cutting out all of the campist/fanboy nonsense, valid technical arguments against OS4 can be summarised as follows:
 * Expensive entry point (unless you already have a system that can run it).
 * Incomplete support for available hardware (lack of 3D drivers for high end Radeon, for example)
 * Slow pace of development (also applies to alternatives).
 * Less than perfect backwards compatibility (again, also applies to alternatives).

That said, I rather enjoy it on my A1200/BPPC/BVision combination. Backwards compatibility is assisted by having the actual hardware and the 603 is capable of surprisingly rapid performance compared to my 040 for legacy 68K applications. And I can always reboot into OS3.1/5/9 if I need to ;)
int p; // A