Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Thank you all who have made A.org possible  (Read 4302 times)

Description:

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
Re: Thank you all who have made A.org possible
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 04, 2014, 07:01:21 PM »
I cant see why people are leaving either. Perhaps its a bit too 'general' for some and not enough focussed on a specific flavour of amigaos (hard- or software).

For me its just the perfect blend of classic and modern Amiga topics, with just enough off-topic bits and ideas to keep it interesting, presented in a, perhaps slightly dated, but very functional layout and forum engine.

Yeah, I'll stick around.
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 11:57:41 PM »
Pancakes! :(

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 12:19:28 AM »
Quote from: rvo_nl;758430
I cant see why people are leaving either.

Maybe it's because most of the threads have a tendency to become less and less about Amiga's, and more just... *cough cough* bat-sh** crazy? :angryfire:

I wonder how long before we start discussing religion and tin-foil hats in this one?  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 04:39:04 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;758440

...I wonder how long before we start discussing religion and tin-foil hats in this one?  ;)

nah for that to happen the title of the thread had to be Amiga OS4.1 related:roflmao: but like I said for the past little while the mods have made it much friendlier around here for all camp discussions:)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline AmigaFreakTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaFreak
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 05:33:29 AM »
What's the issue with AmigaOS 4? - Why does no one like it? - I'm just curious, cause I read some of the negative comments and since I don't know much about OS4 I wonder why it's disliked so much.
-- Joshua E. Horn

"Um... I think my computer let out the blue smoke! What should I do?!?!?"

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 01:57:37 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;758429
the site is good, users good... ok, but why some important users go away from here? is just a question.

I think the day the site was intentionally taken down by it's (then) owner over a dispute with someone was a final straw for many.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 02:07:41 PM »
Quote from: AmigaFreak;758449
What's the issue with AmigaOS 4? - Why does no one like it? - I'm just curious, cause I read some of the negative comments and since I don't know much about OS4 I wonder why it's disliked so much.

It's a long story, stretching back over 10 years. Cutting out all of the campist/fanboy nonsense, valid technical arguments against OS4 can be summarised as follows:
 * Expensive entry point (unless you already have a system that can run it).
 * Incomplete support for available hardware (lack of 3D drivers for high end Radeon, for example)
 * Slow pace of development (also applies to alternatives).
 * Less than perfect backwards compatibility (again, also applies to alternatives).

That said, I rather enjoy it on my A1200/BPPC/BVision combination. Backwards compatibility is assisted by having the actual hardware and the 603 is capable of surprisingly rapid performance compared to my 040 for legacy 68K applications. And I can always reboot into OS3.1/5/9 if I need to ;)
int p; // A

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 03:32:54 PM »
@ AmigaFreak

like Karlos said it's just way too long a story to explain briefly but after the demise of Commodore in mid 90's there were various camps of how to continue the Amiga OS in the future and let's just say that politics, passion, & wars etc. ensued.

Lots of stuff on the net to search for when you have spare time but let's keep this thread on the good people that make amiga.org a great place for Amiga fans;)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline spirantho

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 04:19:58 PM »
Quote from: AmigaFreak;758449

Mostly historical reasons, or a preference of other Amiga-like OSes.

Most of the OS4 users left Amiga.org a long time ago when it was decidedly un-OS4-friendly. If you go to other sites like Amigaworld.net and Amigans.net you'll find OS4 is - by and large - looked upon much more favourably.

Luckily A.org is generally a lot more friendly towards OS4 users now, but a few years back it used to be decidely hostile.

I stuck around because I like my classics and my OS4 Miggies the same, and A.org has always been good for classics.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!