Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First Contact : AmigaOne X1000 Limited Edition  (Read 24511 times)

Description:

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show all replies
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: First Contact : AmigaOne X1000 Limited Edition
« on: October 21, 2011, 10:29:25 AM »
Ouch, talk about sticker shock.

I suspect ACube will be selling quite a few 460's in light of this to guys that had hoped the X1000 would be a little more sanely priced.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 12:24:20 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;664351
Sure it may be "expesive" but compared to the $2700 whatever you pay for a 27" imac piece of crap it's a bargain.

Uhh, 27" iMac is $1600, lol.  I should know, I just bought one a week ago for a family member. 2.7ghz quad core, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 6770M gfx card, keyboard, mouse and of course the included 27" display.  And has a established software base of thousands of software titles.  I'm no Mac fanboy, but get your facts straight, lol.  Not to mention it's an apples vs. oranges argument, pardon the obvious pun.

The X1000 won't run anything any better than my lowly SAM 440ep will, it's slim pickings on the software end that's the major problem at any price or HW spec.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 04:07:07 PM »
The onboard NIC and sound not having drivers, or otherwise having to be circumvented due to them not working with add on cards whatever the cause is irrelevant.  What happens when something else doesn't "work" under certain conditions?  Sit around with your thumb up your ass waiting for a fix?

Smoke and mirrors - ship stuff when it is a full featured product, don't half ass it just to make deadlines.

This is a market where we all saw the A1, another thing that was promised as the Holy Grail for us.

Would you purchase a car that came from the factory with a sticker saying "additional heater taped down in trunk, despite the fact your car already has a heater you paid for but it seemingly is not being used or may not work".

No, lol.  If the drivers aren't ready, don't ship the thing, don't even consider taking preorders.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 04:40:38 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;664408
Speaking for myself, I'd MUCH rather have an X1000 that needed an ethernet card, than have no X1000 for a few months while they finish the drivers.

So you need to use a plug-in card for a bit instead of the on-board? Would it stop me enjoying it? Nope.

Work on the critical drivers, THEN work on the optional ones.

Are you high, lol?  You would seriously pay that kind of money to fix what is inoperable at ship date on the mainboard that you have already paid for?  What if it turns out the MB stuff just doesn't work at a HW level, EVER?  What if the board is chock full of bad traces?  

I suppose we should wait for a reply out of them as to why the tacked on cards are needed, but seems to me if I'm shelling out nearly 3 grand for a computer I shouldn't have to buy twice for the functionality of one system.

I'm a SAM user.  I'm fine with overpaying for underpowered HW.  But the thought that people aren't questioning the reasons behind this, or worse yet - justifying it...  Wow.

Explain to me sanely why this thing has tacked on ethernet and sound cards when it has them onboard.  Wait!  I'll answer that!

1 - the drivers aren't done.  Sorry, don't release it then.  All due respect, if the drivers are not there for the baseboard, you dropped the ball already bringing this to market.  Would you buy a PC from a store if it had a sticker saying "MB NIC will work  in 2-4 months, buy a PCIe card if you want to use the Internet!".  Fair enough if the drivers are not there, don't put a band aid on a bullet wound and sell a kludge of a product.  If you are not ready, you aren't ready.

2 - the HW is hosed and they are circumventing it with add on cards.

I wish Hyperion would just quit dicking around with this cobbled together newfangled/embedded HW lock in crap and just roll out OS 4 for the PPC Mac's.  Pains me to see them try and maintain some silly exclusivity nonsense with "built for OS 4" hardware that sees its' way into the hands of hundreds at best, not thousands.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 04:45:12 PM »
Quote from: TCMSLP;664345
Why the criticism regarding the RAM?  Would a next gen Amiga use anywhere near 1GB?

Yes, Blender can chew thru RAM quite quickly.  Seeing as my SAM 440ep can't be upgraded from 512 MB, I bought a SATA SSD to make it more bearable for virtual ram usage.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 06:45:44 PM »
So what people are saying is that everyone should be fawning over a $3000 system that has nonfunctional hardware on the mobo, requiring additional investment just to get "the basics", just because it's a "new Amiga"?  There's a valid concern that said onboard hardware might never work, don't you think?  After the A1 fiasco with build quality and nice promises, I think people do have a right to be leery, IMO.

It's not common industry practice to ship products without drivers, not by a long shot, lol.  This is not "beta", this is a matter of having 2 very important motherboard chips simply being useless and they must be replaced by add ons.  Stuff is being shipped that doesn't work until you buy additional cards.

It's like buying a car and finding a hand drawn picture of an engine on a slab of paper under the hood that says "call us in 2 months and you'll be able to use this thing, maybe!"  It's even more of an onion in the ointment that you can add cards to get this working on your dime.  The drivers are there for the add-ons, after all this time why not for the onboard?  If I am paying for a NIC/Sound on the board, then being forced buy add on cards to get very basic functionality, that's just insane.  You are being forced to spend more money if you want audio or networking.  A computer is a doorstop without networking out of the box in basic form in my books.  The acceptance by the community in regards to half arsed solutions is a major part of the problem - I haven't bought a computer in 15+ years that hasn't had functional networking out of the box.

Shipping kludge products may be sadly common on the current Amiga machines, but it's not industry standard by a remote stretch in the the big scheme of computing.

As was said, no skin off me if people want to spend this kind of cash, but it's zero progress for the Amiga community in my books when you factor in price vs. performance, but that's nothing new.  I suppose that's also why there's so much interest in the grassroots (cheaper) solutions coming like Natami and Mike's FPGA board.  I paid $800 for my 440ep/OS 4 kit, so I guess I'm as guilty as the next dude - but $800 is a far cry from $3000.  That being said, to Hyperion's credit - I have never hit a single driver issue on my SAM 440ep, zero USB problems either.  I hope people that buy these machines enjoy them, sincerely - I simply wouldn't buy one at half the price when the 460 is a viable option.

Said it 1000 times before, will say it again - Hyperion could sell 25 times the number of OS 4 copies if they supported PPC Mac's, but they seem to stick to this ideal that proprietary high buck solutions are the way to go.  The PPC mac's don't have a widely varying amount of HW configs, it just makes no sense to me why Hyperion as a SW company would not try to broaden the audience by supporting the most wide base of HW.

Offline Duce

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 04:30:51 PM »
Anything that will run on the X1000 will run on a lowly SAM 440ep unless it specifically hits that custom hardware or has extended resource requirements.

I've never had an issue in 3 years with anything off the major OS 4 channels like os4depot.net not running on my SAM 440ep anyways, even stuff written many years ago that could technically be seen as stuff from the "A1" days.

Software wise, OS 4 is a pretty good pig no matter what you run it on in regards to the modern native PPC boards.