Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WiFi signal strength and amplitude  (Read 4993 times)

Description:

Offline motorollinTopic starter

• Show only replies by motorollin
WiFi signal strength and amplitude
« on: December 07, 2008, 11:02:32 AM »
Please, somebody settle a debate ;-)

I think that the signal strength of WiFi is a measurement of the amplitude of the wave-form, because the more power you put in to the signal, the stronger it is and thus the further it will go and the stronger it will be when it arrives at the receiver. My other half doesn't believe me, because he thinks that this would result in potential distortion if the transmitter and the receiver are too close to each other (because the amplitude would be too high).

My argument was that distortion (in the audio sense) occurs because the amplitude of a signal is too high for the speaker to produce it. His response was that if that were the case, the volume of audio would get louder the closer you get to the transmitter, and that it would eventually distort. The only explanation I have for this is that a radio receiver attenuates the signal if necessary to avoid distortion when it is amplified and driven through the speaker. That would mean that something like a crystal radio would in fact experience changes in volume as it moves closer to the transmitter, and potentially distort when it outputs. This wouldn't be a problem for WiFi since the received signal is converted to electrical energy not kinetic energy.

Can anyone clear this up for us? ;-)
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline Oliver

• Show only replies by Oliver
Re: WiFi signal strength and amplitude
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 11:05:47 AM »
You are both partly correct.

In analogue free space transmission, it is possible to have too strong a signal, and for distortion to occur. Radios have ways of managing this, however. Receivers can control the attenuation and gain of the received signal, to maintain signal level within an acceptable range. Weak signals will still have a degraded signal to noise ratio.

The physical layer of a digital receiver is still subject to similar issues, though distortion is usually less of a factor. A simple digital receiver, with no signal conditioning, and no filtration, will severely suffer from the kind of distortion you are talking about. Of course, it's not done that way in practice.

If enough radiated power were received, then distortion can still occur. This can be seen quite clearly with a 1kW transmitter adjacent to an average receiver of the same frequency.

Using a speaker to convert electrical waves to sound waves is not the only possible source of distortion in an audio system. All devices have nonlinearities, and generally when overdriven, will introduce distortion.

Hope that's clear enough, without going into details.
Good good study, day day up!

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 11:44:02 AM »
@Moto

I think you should use a particle model for this one... Then signal intensity is just the number of photons :-P :lol:

Offline Oliver

• Show only replies by Oliver
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 12:24:52 PM »

bloodline wrote:
@Moto

I think you should use a particle model for this one... Then signal intensity is just the number of photons :-P :lol:

Not a bad suggestion really, thinking in terms of power. Usually signal levels are an expression of power, which scales with amplitude sqaured. Not sure what the signal strength indicators are really representing though.

I forgot to mention that above.
Good good study, day day up!

Offline motorollinTopic starter

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 06:10:17 PM »
Cheers guys. A lot of that was over my head (for now...) but I get the general gist.
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 08:57:25 PM »

motorollin wrote:
Cheers guys. A lot of that was over my head (for now...) but I get the general gist.

The wave/particle duality nature of light is a weird thing to get your head around :-)