Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Directory Opus Magellan still available to purchase  (Read 4687 times)

Description:

Offline motorollinTopic starter

• Show only replies by motorollin
Directory Opus Magellan still available to purchase
« on: October 17, 2007, 04:39:07 PM »
After a recent posting which stated that DOpus Magellan is no longer available to purchase, I decided to contact GPSoft to enquire about the possibility of buying it. The response from Greg Perry was that it is still available to buy at a very reasonable price of $65 AU for a download version.

Please contact Greg using one of the methods on the contact page on the GPSoft web site if you are interested in obtaining a full licensed copy of this great software, and supporting a developer who produced some great Amiga products.
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: Directory Opus Magellan still available to purchase
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 06:44:35 PM »
This is good news, I have been looking for a legal way to purchase it and rid myself of the delay in AmiKit, but could not find anywhere to purchase.  Greg Perry should make it easier to find and purchase if he wants people to buy legal keyfiles.

It is a shame that there is absolutely no mention of the Amiga on his website and there is no way to purchase a download of the Amiga version with a keyfile.

Current quote from the Guru Meditation website "Directory Opus Magellan was bought late 2004. After a long a long time of porting this product to the latest Amiga OS, we are now closing in on the release. However, at this point in time, it is not possible to buy this product for OS 4 (and not for OS 3.x either). This is something that we are working hard to remedy."

So it appears that there is still no way to purchase DOpus Magellen from anyone. :boohoo:
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline AmiKit

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 06:50:18 PM »
WOW, is that true? I remember Greg, when asked, always redirected such a requests to GuruMeditation who's the current and the sole owner of the Directory Opus Magellan. Greg also added that GPSoftware has nothing to do with Amiga version of DOpus anymore.

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 07:58:38 PM »
amigadave wrote:
So it appears that there is still no way to purchase DOpus Magellen from anyone

You did read the story didn't you? ;-)

AmiKit wrote:
WOW, is that true? I remember Greg, when asked, always redirected such a requests to GuruMeditation who's the current and the sole owner of the Directory Opus Magellan. Greg also added that GPSoftware has nothing to do with Amiga version of DOpus anymore

Well, all I can say is that I contacted Greg and he set up a product code to allow me to pay for the license through the GPSoft web site, and he then emailed me the archives and the serial number. If you have any queries it would be best to contact Greg.

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline pVC

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 08:15:16 PM »
Cool.. btw. is there any online manuals available as the "real" product came with big books and there's sooo many features in the software, that it might be difficult to find them all by yourself ;)
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline Minuous

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 01:10:49 AM »
So let me get this straight...I pay an extortionate amount of money and get an unsupported product on no media and with no documentation?

Hmmm...sounds enticing...not...

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 02:26:31 AM »
Reasonable price? Unsupported, no manuals, no media, no docs..It should be PD

Offline jahc

• Show only replies by jahc
    • http://wookiechat.amigarevolution.com
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 03:27:35 AM »
No docs? It's not a complicated program, you should be able to figure out how to use it just by using it..

No media? You can put it on media yourself. A cd-r is only 10 cents. I backup the software and serial numbers that I buy online onto cd myself.

It may not be a good deal to you, but there are a lot of users out there who love this program and are stuck with demo limitations.

Offline ACK_h8r

• Show only replies by ACK_h8r
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 08:13:12 AM »
Brilliant wb replacement without a doubt but it`s very sad that (yet again) people have to pay premium prices for obsolete software just because it`s for the amiga.

It costs nearly 30 quid while the fully supported recent 2007 up to date feature rich opus 9 costs only 7 quid more, talk about being bent over and rammed.

No wonder people will resort to downloading pirate versions.

Offline pVC

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 11:02:41 AM »
Even if it doesn't look like that complicated program, but it has so much features under the hood, that you won't notice everything by yourself that easily. When I started to use it (without docs first) I was still finding new cool things about it after a year. Like different built-in hotkeys, qualifiers, things to rmb and d&d etc :)

But I'd buy it still even without docs at that price... but I already own it :) One of the greatest softwares written for Amiga ever. Still very useful even without new updates. I'm using it on my Amiga and Pegasos all the time.

BTW. I didn't like the original default configs or the Amikit config.. it's better for everyone to examine the program himself and configure it for own needs. And get some external modules for more features (like changing view modes from keyboard, cut/copy/paste, etc things).

Offline swift240

• Show only replies by swift240
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 11:31:19 AM »
@ ACK_h8r

I have said this before just because its an Amiga then we get ripped off.
But I WILL say that Amigakit is pretty fair with there prices.
But I have noticed others who think that they can charge what the hell they like and make us think they are doing us a favour.
So if I need to buy a USB card for the Amiga I will PAY high for it, but if I want a USB card for a PC cheap ohhh yes cheap.
Tower case for an Amiga?  Then be ready to PAY HIGH for it, a tower for a PC cheap ohhhh yes cheap.

See what I mean?

What the hell is that all about.

:pissed:  :pissed:
Amiga 1200, 82gb HD, 4 way IDE\'97, DVD Multi-Recorder, OS3.9, BB1,BB2, Apollo Turbo MkII 030/40, 32meg Fastram, 4Gb CF card PCMCIA slot, IDE CF card adaptor 4Gb CF card, HP 810C, Alba HDTV, Converted PC PSU. C128, C64, C16, Plus4, 1701, 1570, 1541MkII, ARP6.0,KCS Power Cart, FreezeFrame MK3B, Freeze Machine, Simons Basic,  PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3 HDMI and 1TB HD+ 80gb USB HD, PS3 TV add on, Sound Surround speakers for PS2,PS3,PC, and Amiga Amazing so

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 11:55:57 AM »
Wow, I never expected such a negative response to this. I thought people would be glad it was still available, rather than complaining about the price. If you think it's too expensive, there is always the option not to buy it :roll:

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline ACK_h8r

• Show only replies by ACK_h8r
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 01:10:33 PM »
@motorollin

Why shouldn't people be allowed to be disgusted? You might want to bend over and be ripped apart but many other people don`t. It is pathetic how they will sell a very old unsupported product for nearly the same price as the new 2007 version.

what's next wordsworth, dpaint, octamed and lets sell gb route for more than autoroute.

@swift240

Sadly that the way it is, they just take the piss. The worst culprit i have seen is elbox with the spider II, a $5-$10 usb 2.0 pci card sold for $73, daylight robbery.

How people can support such crooks is just shocking.

Offline pVC

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 01:22:52 PM »
65 AUD = 40e... not much today. That's cheap I'd say. Compare it any other app or games and you can't say it's too much. If you want to be shocked, compare it to console games which you only might play once, not use daily for long time ;)

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 02:40:12 PM »
Amiga I will PAY high

PC cheap

You do realise that PC manufacturers can mass produce hardware for little costs?  The more they make at the same time the less they cost.

How many PCs are there in use in the world?

How many Amigas are in use?

Okay so the prices are probably still a little too high but I can't see the companies making much profit if they don't sell for those prices.  They'd probably stop making and selling Amiga hardware full stop then what choice would we have?

Software is different.  I can't see many people spending £30 for DOpus when current software isn't much higher.

But then again, I'm not most people.  I love DOpus and would happily pay that price for it.  It's simply the best thing ever to happen to WB.
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel