Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bill Gates not a philanthropist?  (Read 16133 times)

Description:

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
Re: Bill Gates not a philanthropist?
« Reply #89 from previous page: January 20, 2014, 02:54:21 AM »
@Blanning. We have the same problem in Australia. We have excellent farming land that isn't being used. Instead we prefer to import our fruit and vegetables at a higher cost :confused:

@Iggy. What happened there?  :huh:

@Iggy. How is your quest for being self sustaining going? I remember you talking about it before.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2014, 04:17:55 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;757585
@Blanning. We have the same problem in Australia. We have excellent farming land that isn't being used. Instead we prefer to import our fruit and vegetables at a higher cost :confused:

@Iggy. What happened there?  :huh:

@Iggy. How is your quest for being self sustaining going? I remember you talking about it before.

Believe it or not, at one time I was looking at the Doctorate program in Bio-regenerative Engineering at Cal State Polytechnic in San Luis Obispo.

I have some background in aquaculture and a BS in Preveterinary Animal Science.

I actually built some hydroponic systems at a local community college about 15 years ago that were fed by a few of our smaller aquaculture tanks.

So I have some experience in closed loop agricultural systems.

That being said, I don't think it is possible for us to be completely self sustaining.

I do still like to produce my own vegetables in season though.

And I keep track of the latest creatures that are popular in aquaculture ventures (funny these are often Australian).

Edit: Now that I think about it, a word as to why I would move from computers in the '80s and '90s to agriculture moving into the new millennium is in order.
Simple, I saw an opportunity to apply technology to our oldest profession (well, second oldest), and I find biology infinitely more interesting than electronics (with structures that are considerably more complex).

So OK, is that nerdy enough for you computer geeks?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 04:27:22 AM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2014, 07:16:34 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;757562
A better place?
Naive.
Has Bill Gates and his monopoly REALLY made this world a better place?
Not from my point of view.
Certainly not in relation to the costs imposed in making Gates the richest man on the planet.

Confused.
So you don't think it's a good idea to try to leave the world in a better place?
And you don't think philanthropy is a way to achieve that?
And then you accuse me of nativity by drawing on the assertion that Gates can't be a Philanthropist because of his business exploits in the "first world"

No, I don't think my comments are naive at all. I think they consider a world view beyond the confines and limitations of a western view.

I actually find your personal accusation insulting.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2014, 08:53:54 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;757578
Only in 3rd world countries. In western countries it is more or less staying the same.

Right. Look what they are planning to do in Egypt. Really quite brilliant: http://pavelpodolyak.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/terraforming-sahara-desert.html

Sorry have to  pick up on this. Third world or developing world are not regarded as acceptable descriptions. It's now referred
To as the majority world
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 08:57:10 AM by JJ »
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline psxphill

« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2014, 12:33:54 PM »
Quote from: blanning;757580
Did you know that Qaddafi had nearly completed a huge public works project in Libya that was a huge underground aqueduct? Had it been allowed to continue, it would have transformed Libya from a desert into farm land. But we brought "democracy" to Libya. In the 1940s, Israel was a desert. Now they export fruit to Europe. Why can't this be done in, oh I don't know, Ethiopia? How about Sudan? Somalia? There's no reason why it can't. Yet it doesn't happen.

Maybe they don't have huge cash reserves to subsidise the project or water trapped since the ice age to last 100 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Man-Made_River

Solving the problem isn't easy, because anything you do just causes new problems.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2014, 04:43:25 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;757594
Confused.
So you don't think it's a good idea to try to leave the world in a better place?
And you don't think philanthropy is a way to achieve that?
And then you accuse me of nativity by drawing on the assertion that Gates can't be a Philanthropist because of his business exploits in the "first world"

No, I don't think my comments are naive at all. I think they consider a world view beyond the confines and limitations of a western view.

I actually find your personal accusation insulting.

Trust me...
First, I haven't gotten around to insulting you yet.
Ask anyone around here, if I go that course, you will notice it more than casually.
And second, your views are very western in nature. I'm not the one promoting Bill Gates (who in my opinion is little more than a thief).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline blanning

• Show only replies by blanning
    • http://www.brianlanning.com
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2014, 06:37:47 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;757584
Improve living standards? I believe the reason why we are not breeding   at the same rate is because of life pressures such as work. People are   too busy to have kids these days. But yes i see your point.

Or they could just have screwed up priorities.  

The entire feminist movement in the US was manufactured in order to get the other half of the US population working so that they could be taxed.  Those women were sold a bill of goods.  No longer did they need family and children to be fulfilled.  Now they can have a career!  Just think of what you can do with all that extra money!  In other words, they sold out.  They sold out their children for "a higher standard of living", whatever that is.  Later, the two income household was required just to make it.  This is because women in the workforce drove down wages (real wages I mean, taking inflation into account).

It's no accident that this had a negative effect on the family.  I believe this was a major contributor to the increase in infidelity and divorce.  While movies, TV, music, and other pop culture influences pushed the idea that sex outside of marriage was ok and only old prudish, behind the times people thought otherwise.  After all, if you get all the vitamin-P you want without getting married, why get married and have children?  One of the goals of Agenda 21 is to destroy the family.

What I would call the "correct" business model is for people to have a family with maybe 2 to 6 children where everyone including the father works at home.  They produce most of their own food and clothes.  They have several small businesses for some income to buy the things they can't or don't want to make for themselves.  And the parents and grand parents educate the children.  With this model, families spend more time together.  Kids aren't brainwashed by the state.  And if one of the businesses fails, they have others.  And if they all fail, they still have a place to live and food to eat.  This is what I'm trying to create now.  I hope I finish it in time.

Offline blanning

« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2014, 06:42:47 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;757585

... and pay farmers not to plant like in the US?  The cynic in me says this is on purpose so that we're dependent.

Here in Uruguay, food is supposed to be cheap and plentiful, since there are a lot of farmers and a relatively small population.  They export much more food than they consume.  The problem is that a farmer can choose to sell to the locals or export the food.  So that means that the locals have to compete with other, wealthier countries for the food grown across the street.  But salaries aren't any higher.  The end result is that food is really expensive.  Actually, it's about the same price as the US.  But that makes it expensive here.

When the economic crash comes, there will be a lot less demand since many places won't be able to pay for the food, and transport might be expensive or impossible.  So I expect food prices to crash here.  So in that sense, an economic collapse would be a good thing for the people here.

Offline blanning

« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2014, 06:49:46 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;757605
Maybe they don't have huge cash reserves to subsidise the project or water trapped since the ice age to last 100 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Man-Made_River

Solving the problem isn't easy, because anything you do just causes new problems.

Well they had the cash at one point.  The second thing the "liberators" did upon toppling Qaddafi was to steal the countries gold reserves.  I believe it was all sent to London.  It's hard to setup a gold dinar without any gold.

The first thing they did was to setup a foreign controlled central bank.  That's telling.  Let's see.... who still doesn't have a foreign controlled central bank?   That would be Syria, Iran, and North Korea.  What a coincidence!

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2014, 07:00:35 AM »
I'm an evil overlord, of course I want to breed as many followers as possible to extract as much resources as possible for me and work for me to beat all the other evil overlords.
The higher population density the easier it is to divide and conquer.
Don't you people play strategy games?

Now I'm of to invade Poland before Bill Gates beats me to it...
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2014, 12:43:09 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;757550
I think most people are blissfully ignorant of the evil that western civilisation imposes on the rest of the world to supply the things that make our lifestyle what it is.

Ignorance is a choice IMNSHO.

Yes Nicholas because with Islam in control of things would be soooo much better for us all...

Offline nicholas

« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2014, 03:11:24 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;757670
Yes Nicholas because with Islam in control of things would be soooo much better for us all...

Shut up you fcuking muppet.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Iggy

« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2014, 08:38:42 PM »
I'd rather have Nicholas (or another member of the Nation of Islam) looking out for me than a member of the US Republican Party.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2014, 09:27:53 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;757670

And that kids is what grown ups mean when they say "Ad hominem"...
int p; // A

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2014, 09:36:21 PM »
Quote from: blanning;757625
Or they could just have screwed up priorities.  

The entire feminist movement in the US was manufactured in order to get the other half of the US population working so that they could be taxed.  Those women were sold a bill of goods.  No longer did they need family and children to be fulfilled.  Now they can have a career!  Just think of what you can do with all that extra money!  In other words, they sold out.  They sold out their children for "a higher standard of living", whatever that is.  Later, the two income household was required just to make it.  This is because women in the workforce drove down wages (real wages I mean, taking inflation into account).

It's no accident that this had a negative effect on the family.  I believe this was a major contributor to the increase in infidelity and divorce.  While movies, TV, music, and other pop culture influences pushed the idea that sex outside of marriage was ok and only old prudish, behind the times people thought otherwise.  After all, if you get all the vitamin-P you want without getting married, why get married and have children?  One of the goals of Agenda 21 is to destroy the family.

What I would call the "correct" business model is for people to have a family with maybe 2 to 6 children where everyone including the father works at home.  They produce most of their own food and clothes.  They have several small businesses for some income to buy the things they can't or don't want to make for themselves.  And the parents and grand parents educate the children.  With this model, families spend more time together.  Kids aren't brainwashed by the state.  And if one of the businesses fails, they have others.  And if they all fail, they still have a place to live and food to eat.  This is what I'm trying to create now.  I hope I finish it in time.

OMFG did you really just say that about feminism. Honestly. Let me guess your wife is one of these old school people who just wants to look after their children and husband. Who is brainwashed again. Women are equal to men they can do as they please. Women having choices has nothing to do with the breakdown in families. Men not pulling their weight is a more likely cause.  I really don't know what to say in flabbergasted.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Iggy

« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2014, 09:38:45 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;757692
And that kids is what grown ups mean when they say "Ad hominem"...

@ 53 years old, with over 160 College credits, I thought I was a grown up, until I read that.
WTF are you talking about Karlos?