Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS on Power Mac G5  (Read 47021 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: MorphOS on Power Mac G5
« Reply #44 from previous page: August 05, 2010, 08:15:11 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;573500
Yes, I should have qualified my comment as I was thinking outside of this thread, which for me anyway, is a thread only about MorphOS on the G5 PowerMac, so I have pretty much tried to forget any references about the X1000 and PA6T running AmigaOS4.1.2 (even though I did make a few comments where I stated that the X1000 and PA6T w/AmigaOS4.x, is in the same, or similar situation as MorphOS2.x on the G5 PowerMacs).  I was thinking that I had not seen a similar reaction toward the X1000 being announced.  Yes, many people, from both camps, have made comments that the X1000 may not be a good idea, but for the most part every one of those dissenters have used the price as the number one reason that they are not interested in the X1000, not the argument that the X1000 is not needed because there is no AmigaOS4.x software that needs the power that will come with the production of the X1000.  Maybe I have just missed such threads and there really several such threads and complaints out there, just like the complaints made in this thread.

Actually, most of the posts I made about the PA6T being underutilised by software were in this thread, side by side with the G5.

However, I must reiterate that I'm not actually against G5/PA6T, I actually think it's pretty cool that they are options. The whole issue came up as a consequence of earlier posts in the thread that were attempting to start another red v blue fight on the point of the G5 2GHz outperforming PA6T. As I said, so what? It isn't as if you can actually leverage the full potential of either with current amiga software.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: MorphOS on Power Mac G5
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2010, 12:15:56 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;573717
I doubt we'll see OpenCL support under MorphOS because of the GPU requirements. Even once G5 support is released, the majority of Powermac G5s have an AGP video slot.

Actually, I'm pretty sure there are AGP versions of SM based Radeon cards.
int p; // A