Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga First Person Shooters  (Read 5262 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Amiga First Person Shooters
« on: December 10, 2002, 04:51:23 AM »
 What FPS' were on the classic Amiga?

I remember Genetic Species which made the smart move and went open source.

Then there was Alien Breed 3D which is highly outdated, but I want a copy bad, unfortunatly it's owners are dead, and you can't find a copy anywhere.

There was Gloom, which seems available on some of the ADF sites (thank gawd).

And of course we have Quake (can't find), Quake 2 (too expensive (is only $10 for PC atm), and the legendary DOOM, but no Legacy or ZDOOM type ports. :/

Other than that, I forget what else there was, can anyone help with this list?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline R2D2

• Show only replies by R2D2
Re: Amiga First Person Shooters
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2002, 05:03:57 AM »
Alien Breed 3D 2, Gloom Deluxe, Hexen and Heretic. There were more but I can't remember them now..
\\"Se on niinkuin polkupyörällä ajo - kerran kun sen oppii ja jos ei sitä koko ajan harjoittele, niin sitä ei opi koskaan enää uudelleen.\\"

Offline Kay

• Show only replies by Kay
    • http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kayare
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2002, 05:58:47 AM »
Let's see:
Nemac IV (which I think was very good), Fears (which was quite good too), Testament (which I haven't really played), Hexen 2 (I think), Doom 2, Heretic 2, and Shogo.

Kay

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2002, 06:48:56 AM »
Breathless worked pretty fast with a good resolution. Not sure if it worked with RTG instead of just AGA.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2002, 07:59:21 AM »
 I recall there was once a ECS based FPS out there that even ran pretty well on a 68000 with some details turned off.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline JurassicCamper

• Show only replies by JurassicCamper
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2002, 08:08:37 AM »

XDelusion wrote:
 What FPS' were on the classic Amiga?

Personally i'm fed up with games on the Amiga, because appart from Wipeout 2097 and Payback (which I cant play now until i get OS4) all we have a first person shooters and real time stratergy games.

What we need are games like :-

Gran Turismo 3
Tony Hawks pro Skater
Mat Hoffman pro BMX
SSX Tricky
Fifa 2003

my 2 pence.
 :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D
A1200T PPC 330Mhz in a Custom Modified Fractal Design R3 Case

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2002, 06:11:47 PM »
 Actually the Amiga game collection was mostly made of console type games, and I was always upset at the lack of quality RPG's and FPS' out there, but ya anyhow you look at the game collection, half that crap was on the Genesis and SNES or something like that, so perhaps you'll get your wish and Amiga will some day become consoleish again in its future, that is if it does not die first.

Offline Nick

• Show only replies by Nick
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2002, 06:54:20 PM »
Well I like FPSers, but as MANY have you have heard a hundred times. I really want flightsims. Yes
things like the excellent GT3 would be cool for the Amiga, but that is asking a little much at the
moment. I actually find it quite hard to open my wallet for Amiga games. Ever since having my PSX,
then PS2 its been difficult. I have a few. Things like Napalm (WAHOO I found my CD today, Been lost
for months), Myst and Foundation DC. My PS2 games whoop anything currently available for the Amiga.
This is a shame. I REALLY do want a flight simulation though. A proper, complex flightsim. Something
to get my teeth into.

As for whats available at the moment, after playing Quake 2 at the WOASE I was impressed. I may even
get this when I have the money. Yes it costs, but we do have to buy some games. Something I hope to
do more of in the future. Breathless was a damn good game. I got to one of the last levels. I think
it was the penultimate level, then I lost the security sheet. ANNOYING!

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
Re: Frag!
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2002, 07:30:50 PM »

Offline MagicSN

• Show only replies by MagicSN
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2002, 03:16:58 AM »
About the price of Quake 2: If you compare it to the price of Heretic II for Amiga, which
was released looooong ago, you will find out that Quake 2 is *cheaper*. And it was
released just recently.

I am starting to be seriously p*ssed off with any person claiming Quake 2 for Amiga would be expensive. With dealer margin and Taxes it was really not possible to make it cheaper. The alternative would have been not releasing it at all, not even for download (I could still play it, even if I wouldn't have released it...).

If you only buy games, which are not cheaper on the PC, you won't buy many games,
BTW. Any games ported from the PC will ALWAYS be noticably cheaper on the PC
at the time the Amiga version is released.

I think 39 EUR for a new game (and on Amiga Quake 2 *is* a new game) is a fine
price. And now let's end this discussion for always.

Steffen Haeuser
Hyperion Entertainment

Offline tomfin

• Show only replies by tomfin
    • http://www.alphabetcastle.co.uk/
Re: Amiga First Person Shooters - one more for the list?
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2002, 08:22:09 AM »
Anyone remember Behind the Iron Gate?  Surely it counts, it *was* a FPS, albeit an early one in '95, and it ran on the humble A500 too.  You can get yourself an ADF from here, it seems: AP53 Disks

Don't expect huge layers of prettiness - blue bad guys on blue floors with blue walls fading into the blue distance, if i remember correctly :-)  Didn't stop us from playing the demo to death, though... I only had a 500 at that time.

- tomfin

Offline Guyver

• Show only replies by Guyver
    • http://*none*
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2002, 09:02:15 AM »
aren't you forgetting the first FPS for the Amiga. Called Deathmask, was more ugly than, a cow getting beat with a dead rat. Well i dont if that even qualifies, but it was very ugly. I haven't played it though, but i cant belive that is was any good.

Others FPS games for Amiga.....hhmm lets thimk, there was:
Death Mask
Testament 1+2
Gloom 1+2+3+Deluxe
Genetic Species
Breathless
Fears
Alien Breed 3D 1+2
Newmac IV
Doom
Heretic 1+2
Hexen
Shogo
Quake 1+2

Hope i'm not forgetting any1.

Oohh and by the way i have Alien Breed 3D 1+2 on ADF-files if any1 has an interest. Although I havent tried them much, since the only performed about 1 frames per minuter...well maybe not that slow....but it was very ssllooooooooowwwww :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D .

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2002, 10:10:23 AM »

Why was that smart? So far we're hardly innundated with games coded using the GS engine. I think more people were more interested by the fact you could download it for free. The people who really wanted it bought it at the time; by the time it was made freely downloadable it was looking rather dated, even for an Amiga game. Perhaps if more people would have actually bought it we'd have Genetic Species 2...

I'm still puzzled why people think open-sourcing is a good thing when it actually kills the project 9 times out of 10...  :-?

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2002, 10:12:11 AM »
There was also Citadel, but that was also ugly as hell and to be honest not very good.

Offline Lodbro

• Show only replies by Lodbro
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2002, 10:22:53 AM »
how many of the games mentioned in this thread can be run on a standard a3k with no expansions?
If you\\\'re looking for trouble you can find me on the internet... motherf**ker