Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amithlon & GFX-cards: any advice?  (Read 14269 times)

Description:

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
Re: Amithlon & GFX-cards: any advice?
« on: March 09, 2007, 04:54:11 PM »
Humppa, Gary just released a new kernel, which has support for the 6800 series. I don't have the link to it, but if you'd like, I can send you the kernel, when I get home, this evening. Has support for the Nforce2 chipset, as well.

Don't expect *ANY* Warp3D, unless you have a voodoo and so far, I was unsuccessful using it, so I just went back to my 5200.

If you're using the AC97 Codec, let me know and I can send you the AC97 mixer, so you can turn the CDRom sound on. :-D
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 05:34:00 PM »
There are no kernels that support Warp3D, that I know of, unfortunately. As for your mainboard, some versions of the AC97 codec will crash the Mixer. My old box would do that, so I had to install a SB512, just to turn on the sound. (Why it's off, by default, is beyond me.)

EDIT - Trevor listed the proper link, so you can use that. I can email you the mixer, right now, 'cos it's still sitting in my email box. Just pm me your email.

DVI does work, though I'm also using a monitor converter, but  I can affirm that it will use the dual heads of a GForce.

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 06:05:03 PM »

humppa wrote:

Ok, hope I'm lucky. Thanks for the AC97-mixer by the way.

DVI does work, though I'm also using a monitor converter, but I can affirm that it will use the dual heads of a GForce.

Ok, so the FX 5200 could be a possible alternative to my Geforce 6800 if I can't get it to work with hw-acceleration.

Are you sure about Geforce 6800 support? Would this be an inofficial kernel newer than 3.10? I'd love to do some betatesting. ;)

It's "unofficial". Gary said it should work, but doesn't mean that it will. I don't have a 6800 series, so I cannot confirm about whether it works or not. My 5200 works flawlessly and Quake268k looks *GREAT* Duke Nukem runs rather well, too.

No worries about the mixer. Glad to be of service. If you want, shoot a PM to Lo, 'cos he sent it to me, first, when I couldn't buy it.  :-D

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 03:30:32 PM »
Humppa, if it makes you feel better, I've never seen any problems with my FX5200 and I've been using it steadily for almost 4 years now. I was going to build a new Amithlon box and get a new gfx card, but seeing as I haven't had problems with the 5200, I may just save myself the cash and not build a new one.

@Bombcrater,

What's the Ram limit on Amithlon now? Did you push it to 3GB, by chance, 'cos I'd like to max my ram slots, at least, if I can.  :-D

Also, I may be able to donate an older motherboard that supports 2X AGP, if you can get yourself another Voodoo. I'd like to get some sort of 3D accelration, one day.

Shame we can't use QuarkTek for Amithlon.

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 05:57:44 PM »

humppa wrote:

I only barely know about Quarktex, but what are the reasons why it doesn't work with Amithlon?

It was a wrapper written for WinUAE that emulates 3D acceleration with Warp3d. I'm not sure how they did it, but I tested it and it worked, rather nice. Slower than dog sh!t, running Windoze *AND* UAE, but fairly impressive, nonetheless.

It won't work here, I'm sure, since the driver requires one (or something else, rather) on the Windoze side.  :-(

@ Doc

Has TV outs been tested on Amithlon or am I going to have to use a TV/Card? My thoughts were to make a low-footprint desktop case and make a 100% compatible "Amiga". I planned on using it for old school gaming and for coloring my graphic novel. (Yes, I know that photoshop is better - I use it. Yes, I know that Photogenics isn't as good. The fact of the matter is, I want to do all the colors on my Amiga, so I can brag about it.  :-D )

So far, I've just had a completely emulated RTG amiga. I've even got an old school catweasel for this project. This is the closest I'll ever get to a "Bad Ass PPC Amiga", unless they pull their heads out of their @$$e$ and give me something that I can actually purchase.

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 07:42:10 PM »
Hey, I'm just curious, but has anyone tried to use the QuarkTex 3D driver for UAE on Amithlon? I haven't tested it yet, as my Windoze drive took a puke and I had to format my Amithlon drive to use Winders for 3D. It's an Amiga-side driver, but apparently, it brute forces 3D acceleration, through the emulator.

I'm talking out of my @$$ here, but could it theoretically work? I've tested the driver in Win-UAE and it appears to work.