Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AOS4 and Efika at BAC (Belgian Amiga Club)  (Read 5818 times)

Description:

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
Re: AOS4 and Efika at BAC (Belgian Amiga Club)
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 17, 2007, 04:46:45 AM »
U-Boot is "Free" and minimal.

Genesi's OF implementation used to be derived from CodeGen's product if I remember right, and even if they offer it for zero cost I doubt their license carries no strings -- of course they'd love to see it adopted.

The elegant way to do this would be to bang out implementation(s) U-Boot can load and hand it to the users (assuming any more U-Boot hardware is coming) or (gasp) sell it for a pittance.  Then it could 'win' -- or who cares if it 'wins' if it turns a profit? -- on its merits without the goad of pitching an "Open" standard whose sole available implementation (for what, disappointingly, is becoming the PowerPC ghetto) is presumed proprietary.

Does anyone still think it's a good idea to store essential driver code and configuration data on media that isn't easily updated, exchanged, or replaced?  When you can probably go out and buy a gig of Flash with standard form factor and interface at the corner store for less than a pack of smokes?

Offline Kaminari

• Show only replies by Kaminari
    • http://namida.com/kaminarimon/
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 07:33:36 AM »
Hans-Joerg Frieden said: "Actually, Hyperion doesn't have one [an Efika board]. Timothy has. And I already told him that he should not even think about sending it my way."

So now you know about the real {bleep}ty mentality of Hyperion's "key developers". If they think they can run a business by continually hating their potential partners, then I believe they should keep their OS in a safe and die a horrible (commercial) death.

Amateurs.
"Silence is the most resounding word." (Sima Qian)

Offline ssolie

• Show only replies by ssolie
    • http://www.solie.ca/
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 04:48:57 PM »
@Kaminari
You forgot to link to the source of your quotations for the full context.

@all
See the full context at AmigaWorld.net and make up your mind whether the little efika publicity stunt just backfired or not.
ExecSG Team Lead

Offline System

• Show only replies by System
    • http://amiga.org
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 09:40:25 PM »
So now you know about the real {bleep}ty mentality of Hyperion's "key developers". If they think they can run a business by continually hating their potential partners, then I believe they should keep their OS in a safe and die a horrible (commercial) death.

If it were anyone but Bill Buck, I'd agree with you.  Having had personal, and painful experience with that particular snake oil salesman, I can only politely and vehemently disagree.