Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: South West Amiga Group Closes  (Read 3770 times)

Description:

Offline AndyMTopic starter

• Show all replies
South West Amiga Group Closes
« on: January 20, 2004, 11:05:40 PM »
It is with deep regret that I announce the closure of the South West Amiga Group, the Amiga user group based in Bristol, England.

After spending over 7 years at the helm, I am unable to provide the time, energy and enthusiasm that it rightly deserves. And after spending so much time, effort, money and myself in it, I can no longer bear to see SWAG continue on its current long and withering death.

A new head honcho had been advertised for from within its ranks, but no one has come forward to take over the complete running of the group. I have not advertised outside of the group as I do not want to risk handing it over to someone I do not know and trust - someone who may not do anything with it, or just wants some “freebies”.

What there was in the way of equipment belonging to the group (most of it was my own personal property) will eventually be sold off and any profits given to a local charity.

I have met many people, and have made many friends through SWAG, and that I shall always be grateful for, it’s just a shame that there’s no longer the interest to keep things going.

The mailing list will remain in operation for the foreseeable future at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/swag

All the best,

Andrew Mills.

• Show all replies
Re: South West Amiga Group Closes
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 01:27:20 AM »
As xeron said, SWAG had basically been in a state of limbo and just existing as an "online" group for some time, and I have been trying to find someone to take over for a while now.

The last year or so has been totally &%£% for me, and basically, I'm just "spent".

:-(

• Show all replies
Re: South West Amiga Group Closes
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 07:51:52 PM »
On occasion we have been invited over the bridge to help out Bristol Amiga owners with problems. When questionned why they contacted us for help and not their local group, SWAG, they were suprised to learn of the existance of SWAG.

I had advertised SWAG in all of the Amiga mags (when they were around), in their directories - I also believe SWAG was the first group featured in AF's page about user groups.

Then there were the online user group directories.

I also advertised in some local publications, like "Trade-It", in their computer section. All I ever got from that was one phone call from someone selling stuff.

Then there was the adverts in some local shops, notice boards and stuff.

There's only so much one person can do. And very little I was able to do over the last year and a half or so.