Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FastFileSystem update question OS3.1.4.1  (Read 894 times)

Description:

Offline arttu80Topic starter

FastFileSystem update question OS3.1.4.1
« on: March 01, 2020, 05:23:30 PM »
Hi!

Today I finally installed AOS 3.1.4.1 update on A4000D machine. It's running from 16Gb CF card, which I use on Buddha IDE card. I have boot partition, which is 2Gb large and another partition of 13Gb. I updated FFS v.46.2 file system on both partitions (using this newest HDToolBox), when I verify my update using command "version dh0:" this output correct 46.20 version, but "version dh1:" gives me still older 46.13. The funniest or oddest thing to me, that when I boot using this same CF card from WinUAE, it will output version 46.20 for dh1: partition (which I upgraded using REAL Amiga 4000). Any ideas how it is even possible?

guest11527

Re: FastFileSystem update question OS3.1.4.1
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 05:44:18 PM »
Any ideas how it is even possible?
This is a matter of the dos type of the partition. If partition A uses a dos type that is in ROM, but not in the RDB, and is mounted before partition B, which uses a dos type that is in RDB and in ROM, then partition B gets the new FFS, whereas partition A gets the ROM FFS. There is nothing from the Os or the FFS which can enforce to use a new FFS for the earlier partition because it i the firmware of the host adapter which loads the FFS, not the operating system.

This said, the easiest way to prevent that from happening is to keep multiple FFSs in the RDB, one for each dos type that is on disk.

Offline arttu80Topic starter

Re: FastFileSystem update question OS3.1.4.1
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 06:03:19 PM »
Wow, that was awesome info! I tinkered with my HDToolBox again and yes, as I added correct DOS type identifier to File System it worked! Thank you again, Thomas!