Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS for the X1000  (Read 9353 times)

Description:

Offline BuzzfuzzTopic starter

• Show all replies
OS for the X1000
« on: August 04, 2011, 07:46:56 AM »
From the news post: http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58688

Quote from: Transition;652928
The AmigaOne X1000 is not like other computers. It is the natural evolution of the Amiga's PowerPC lineage and is a culmination of efforts by real Amiga enthusiasts, developers and betatesters to create powerful, modern desktop hardware for the Amiga Operating System.

That's a pretty bold statement!

Realistically, they may clap their hands if this becomes more famous than Amiga OS 3.1/3.9 and the ClassicWB versions of it.
With the price tag of the X1000 being way over even of a good 4000/3000 PPC system, "real Amiga enthusiasts" will scratch their heads a few times, before buying this.
Wishlist: A3500, A2500UX

• Show all replies
Re: OS for the X1000
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 12:01:52 PM »
Well I actually do read the little notice and the news posting is not for discussion.

What I do for the Amiga community ?
Helping people, that's my daily job also and trying to be friendly.

Quote from: Cammy;652956
Does this really need its own thread? At least Aeon and Hyperion are actually doing something to help the Amiga community, what are you doing other than hoarding computers that other people could be using?

Well it's not bashing, but we haven't seen a single bit of proof of it.

Quote from: AmigaNG;652967
Agreed, if you down like the X1000 and it statements no need to create new threads to bash it, bash it in it own thread :hammer: or how about just ignoring them. :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 12:51:51 PM »
Yep, and I actually enjoy tuning them, but it takes time, lots of time ;)

Quote from: Franko;652971
He's probably just like you Cammy (with all your Amigas) and enjoys them so much... ;)

I have 7 A1200's and use them all, as each has it's own different set up and uses... :)

But while we are at it, how about this ?

Board is ready and your X1000 is ready to rock and roll, it has OS4.2 on it (that is what it seems to be getting on it) and it all runs fine.
You can internet on it, you can play audio on it, so your favorite mp3's and all things and it can even show your video's.

And then ?

It can't play modern pc games, or any other platform like Xbox or Playstation, other than Amiga Classic, it may be able to do the ported Quake and so on, but it won't play Call Of Duty or Need For Speed for example.

At most offices they use Word and Excell, so here comes an email with a word document, you may be able to read it if that exists on OS4.1, but can you also fully edit it ?
You get a PDF also, again it might be able to read it, but can you also edit it ?

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 06:48:53 PM »
Again, I'm not bashing it, if I was, I would use words like junk and rubbish.

But it's like they say that this will replace every Amiga, while I haven't seen it playing any Amiga games.
If it's emulating a 020 then every Amiga with a 030 out there will be a tad faster, and then we haven't even gotten to the 040's and 060's.

So you tell me, at the price it will probably sell, does it the package justify the load ?

Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;653016
Any contribution to the Amiga community that isn't intel is freaking awesome, and people continue to bash it.

That is good one also, we also haven't seen or heard anything about that.

Quote from: jorkany;653028
The real question is: does OS4.2 support the XMOS chip and Xorro bus, and does it utilize the second CPU core? Because those are the features that pretty much justified the creation of the X1000 in the first place.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 07:05:20 PM »
Ok, but then it's doing the same as WinUAE or even AROS for that matter.
I can do that on my PC and even faster than the X-1000.

Besides the real Amiga's and PC / Mac people have, still remains what you could do with it ?

Quote from: tone007;653033
You're stuck in hardware land. An emulated '020 can be way faster than the fastest hardware '060, unless of course you're throttling the emulated '020 to a particular speed.

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 07:25:13 PM »
:) yeah I get that, but then we are back to square one, people still can't give me a good reason for it what to do with it.

If all it can do is internet, audio and video, then most people would rather use their PC or Mac here, or not ?
Most Amiga users want to play games, and if it can't do that either, then what ?

Quote from: tone007;653037
Run AmigaOS4.2!

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 11:27:44 PM »
I can and I know how to, I've been around for a while!

Just give me one good reason why I should spent around 1500 euro for a machine that runs OS4.2 or whatever it will be, if you can think of more than one, please, write it down here.

Quote from: billt;653077
Uhm... If you can't figure out what to do with an Amiga (or -alike, whatever) today, what are you still doing around these parts??!

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 11:47:04 PM »
Well it's price tag isn't so much the problem, I even would (dare I say it ...) sell one of my Cyberstorms to get more funds :)

Personally I think if i were to get it, I will use it maybe for a few months and after that I think it will gather dust.

Quote from: Duce;653097
If you don't find it worth the asking price, don't buy one, lol. I love my SAM and OS 4.1, but the x1000 is far out of my pricerange and wouldn't do anything my lowly SAM 440ep wouldn't do.

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
Because, just like you I like to play games on my real Amiga's, and I like to mess around with hardware but that's it.
We also have annual meetings here, so my Amiga's are also shown out there.

But anything other than that, so internet and present games, my PC takes on that, and with a high end machine, it won't be a problem either :)

Quote from: AmigaNG;653184
My guess is if any PC or Mac fan was reading that they be asking you the very same thing, Why do you own so many outdated computers and still follow the amiga scene?

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 08:27:24 AM »
Seriously, why are you defending them so hard ?

Like Amigadave said, it's all on shaky grounds, so what, just take a leap of faith ?

Quote from: Cammy;653273

Why would a "real Amiga enthusiast" want to run Microsoft Word or Excel on an Amiga anyway? If you're so desperate to play something as complex as Call of Duty then you should probably just use a PC and stop holding your breath for a couple of guys with hardly any financial backing or support to come up with something similar for an Amiga system.

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 09:00:20 AM »
I have no intention either of doing that, I have a PC for that :)
I certainly hope that OS 4.2 can do what you are saying.

Quote from: XDelusion;653340

Now mind you, I've no intention to run OS X or Windows on any of my Amigas even if I could, but I think with that secondary programmable processor or what ever it is, coupled with the already fast hardware that is present on this board, I would think they you'd have the perfect platform to not only trick this system into thinking it has the original Amiga chip set available, but also to trick it into thinking it is all sorts of other hardware. All while leaving the main processor free to do it's thing!

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 10:11:29 AM »
Ok, I've taken it out of the quote, and now line by line.

The AmigaOne X1000 is not like other computers.

True, it's not a pc, not a Mac like PPC and nothing like an Amiga.

It is the natural evolution of the Amiga's PowerPC lineage and is a culmination of efforts by real Amiga enthusiasts, developers and betatesters to create powerful, modern desktop hardware for the Amiga Operating System.

See, Amiga Operating System.
OS 4 has never been a target platform for Amiga's, yes it could run with a PPC card, but not on a basic 030/040/060!

So that's what is bold about it, putting a claim on a OS that isn't really for the Amiga, they are saying that OS 4 is also an evolution of Workbench and it's not!
It should be called Hyperion OS instead of Amiga OS and the X1000 is no Amiga either, and their you have it.

Quote from: AmigaNG;653402
Buzzfuzz, just out of curiosity, why is this thread titled OS for the X1000, when it clearly nothing about that, it should of been titled "bold statement" or something. Just wondered.

• Show all replies
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 01:11:57 PM »
That is because it checks the hardware, if it dind't do that it could run on it, would slow to a crawl, but can be done with enough memory, every Windows still starts in DOS, although it's not called DOS anymore.

Same with OS4, if I don't have the PPC in the Amiga 4000 or 1200, it's install will fail.
I can run 3.1 on an Amiga 500 with kickstart 3.1 and even run 3.1 on 2.04 kickstart, most things won't work, but it will start Workbench.

Quote from: xeron;653524
So, Windows never ran on a 286 because Windows 95 required a 486?

Hint: OS4 is a continuation of the OS commodore shipped with the Amiga, based on the same source code base.