Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Guesses on amount of people related to amiga.(this includes all ages and all countries)  (Read 5251 times)

Description:

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
Re: Guesses on amount of people related to amiga.(this includes all ages and all coun
« Reply #59 from previous page: January 06, 2004, 05:11:15 AM »
Africa/Australia/.... :not worth a mention

Australia/New Zealand (and Oceania region) was a good market for Amigas (so is Commodore branded X86 PCs).
I recall, TAFE** (tertiary level*) has some courses (probably part of Multimedia courses) centred around Amiga/Scala back then.  

**TAFE is a State government funded colleges with framework compatible with Aussie Universities (Federal funded).  
*Eduction Institution after high-school (secondary level).
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer

mikey2001 wrote:
Does anyone know how other systems fair today in terms of sales (Xbox, PS2, GameCube, Mega Drive, SNES etc). Is there a website someone could point me in the direction of that has these figures? Im just curious thats all....  :-?  :huh:

For AMD's case i.e. in the second quarter of 2001 it sold more than 7.7 million processors (mostly Athlons) .
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline amigakid

• Show only replies by amigakid
HARD TO CONFIGURE COMP SALES DUE TO ALL THE PC CLONES OUT THERE, UNLESS YOU ROUNDED  THEM BY PROCCESSORS, BESIDES A PC THAT FLOPS STILL SELLS MORE THAN A MIGGY THAT BEAT EXPECTATIONS:)  ANYWHO LETS GET ONTO SOMETHING MORE FUN LIKE GAMES, IS WASTED DREAMS 2 STILL COMING OUT OR IS THAT ONE AXED?  WHAT ABOUT THE CLAWS OF THE DEVIL (I THINK ITS CALLED), AND EVILS DOOM?  nICE LOOKING EARLY PICS AND DEMOS THEN NOTHING ( WELL LIKE A LOT OF THINGS OUT THERE FOR US I GUESS :boohoo:  

Offline AmFreak

• Show only replies by AmFreak
Does anyone know how other systems fair today in terms of sales (Xbox, PS2, GameCube, Mega Drive, SNES etc). Is there a website someone could point me in the direction of that has these figures? Im just curious thats all....  

Gamecube: about 10  mill
XBox:           about 10 mill
PS2:             about 30 mill
PS1:             about 100 mill

Offline mikey2001

• Show only replies by mikey2001

PS2: about 30 mill
PS1: about 100 mill

:-o  :-o  :-o Thats alot of Playstations!
Mike

Offline AmFreak

Thats alot of Playstations!

Yes only the Gameboy sold better (120 mill i think)

Offline sir_inferno

• Show only replies by sir_inferno
what about the psone?

Offline AmFreak

what about the psone?

Look 2 posts higher

Offline Liluh

• Show only replies by Liluh
In reply to your comment.

You`re right. I can guess that in early 90`s there were around 100.000 or more Amiga users in Poland, but that can be hard to verify as it was also the time when whole computer market here grew in its early days of capitalism freedom and everyone bought everything produced in the west ;) That doesn`t mean Amiga was not a beloved and noble one of course, as plenty of tv stations, companies and even in some cases government used Amiga computers. As for TV stations, including the most powerfull at that day Public TV. It`s a know history when sometime in early 90`s this TVP showed some championship in football and during that high-time of viewers something went wrong in the studio and Scala screen apeared. Someone from Scala or their dealers seen it and looked up all the info about customers finding that no one from TVP every bought a single copy. Few heads fell. Anyway, I don`t quite remember but Poland didn`t yet have, or had it for a very short time anti-piracy law. Everyone copied every software or game and sold it where ever they wanted to. I remember big computer shops selling games this way by just adding a paper bag and sometimes color printed screen from the game. Golden days of piracy ;P

But getting to the point, I`m completly sure that there were around 60.000-70.000 Amigans in 1996 and still at least 40.000-50.000 in early 1998. The ammount decreases eversince and now I`d guess there`s no more than 3.000 of active Amiga users + 15.000 of users with Amiga under their beds, in wardrobes etc. That`s becouse there`s no Amiga printed magazine since ACS which went down in 2002 and therefore people have no access to news, contact with other users and being abondoned in such state they go for PC or Mac. All that remains is community gathered in internet around various sites, IRC channels and such, as only there they can get known of still prospering companies, other users and fresh news from Amiga world. I believe that also a number of those without net access remain hidden in the shadows of unknown market territories ;)

Offline sir_inferno

• Show only replies by sir_inferno
not psx, psone hand held, anyway

about piracy in poland, you didn't always get a screenshot of the game  :-D . of course that was in the good old days when some1 said:

person1: Hey i'm thinking of getting an amiga 1200
person2: That's kool, now what you should get is a 200mb harddrive that will give you enough space, barely
person1: Thanks for the advice!
*person 2 walks off*
person3 (person1's friend): ARE YOU CRAZY, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH 200MB!!!

copied games and programs were easy to get. you either went into a friends house, with another game and there was a bit of bargaining, like a darkseed is worth tv basketball and deluxe paint IV. or you went into an amiga shop, the owner waited until everyone left and then "follow me" then you got a list, and then in about half an hour a dodgy non vertabix or tdx
diskette with many cylinders missing and you just wasted 60 pln (zloty) :-D

anyway, back to london  ;-)

Pete wrote:

Am I the oldest Amiganoid on here?

DoB March 1951

Am i the youngest? DoB April 1989?  :-P

Offline Liluh

• Show only replies by Liluh
Oh, that had to be in later years. I mean the stuff with top secret operations like games list in the back of the shop. In my days they just put it up on the shelfs with a brief description and picture. Some of the more decent shops, living from hardware mainly, had real original software and games, not many though. I always wondered becouse all those boxes stood there for years covering with dust and just rarely someone bought it. Nevertheless, there were few companies, with the biggest IPS (big games dealer and producer now, under different name though) which published original titles under licenses in original boxes and they even made it to earn for living and further investments in the future. Anyway, I remember buying pirated  Lightwave on sth around 16 diskettes, with xero`ed manual togheter with my A1200, these were the last days when piracy wasn`t prohibited.  About that 200mb HD. I had 120mb in my a600 2mb ram and I really couldn`t fill it to the limits back then. Later it appeared usefull, as around 1999 I took that amy from wardrobe and thanks to early miami, connect it to internet. I could use amirc, yam and ibrowse, just one at a time though :) Other thing is, that when I wrote something (and I write pretty fast)  and finished, I could sit back and observe how for at lest 30 seconds more it appeared on the screen letter by letter :D

Offline mikey2001

• Show only replies by mikey2001
maybe these sales figures are correct.  :-)
Mike