Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Guesses on amount of people related to amiga.(this includes all ages and all countries)  (Read 5250 times)

Description:

Offline Animagic

• Show only replies by Animagic
    • http://www.pointer-digital.com

Van_M wrote:
Oh, and Veroia doesn't have the same income/person as full of tourists cities like Rodos or Athens

@Animagic
What do you mean, exactly? That we people in Veroia are, way too poor to own an Amiga?!? I was into computers and most of my childhood friends too. It's just that only one or two of them had Amigas.
No offence intended, but your argument regarding the income is purely pathetic! You are telling me that a labour or general worker has a better life in Athens than in Veroia? With a rent around 80% higher? Which are the Rhodites you are reffering to? The owners of hotels and big restaurants? Well, people with such big bucks, can have a high income/person kind of life anyway. The rest will starve wherever they live.
Regarding your 8 Amigas I have one question  to ask you --> how many of them did you get before '96 and how many afterwards? At around '98 you could buy amigas (1200's) for nothing (just because none wanted them).

I don't mean to start a personal war with you, it's just that I don't like being PATRONIZED!

Firts of all: the INCOME thing is not mine. According to Kronos "@Animagic
Looking at the size of Greece, the average income of it's population, and how
uncommon computer were in the late 80s/early 90s compared today (just like
in the rest of the world), I can only doubt that..."

Don't make this a personal or "Veroia vs Rodos" matter ok?
And btw, why didnt YOU reply to Kronos about that low income thing?  ;-)

Second: I own my 5x A2000s since 1990. My 3xA1200s bought in 1992-1993.

Third: THERE IS NO TV STATION IN GREECE THAT IS ILLEGAL !

The tv station I work has permission to broadcast since 1993. All the pirate tv stations have been shut down since 1997. All the remaining tv stations broadcast legal since 1998. Do some homework before you start the bulls*&t an offend 2000 people working in these stations!

Thank you!
Greek Amiga User Group Amiga Hellas
You can find me on #amigahellas IRC channel on GRnet.

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
5 million in the UK alone? No chance.

It was more like 2 million, and that's all the models put together.
Bill Hoggett

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
@minator:

I think 20 million is a pretty fair estimate.

From the numbers I remember Germany and the UK had 5 million *each*. Germany was the biggest for a long time but I remember the UK did eventually overtake them.

Where do you guys get your numbers from? Here are the "official" numbers for Germany:

numbers of Amigas sold in Germany until December 93

Offline Van_M

• Show only replies by Van_M
Well Animagic, the problem is, Kronos doesn't live in Greece does he? So he can safely express his impression of Greece being a uncivilized place with no electricity, filled with goats and cows. I get this bullcrap all day here in the UK. I expected better from you, being a Greek though. My main problem is with the line "Oh, and Veroia doesn't have the same income/person as full of tourists cities like Rodos or Athens".

Regarding tv stations, I can assure you there are dozens of tv station still operating illegaly throughout Greece. These stations go up and down every ten days or so.

I don't want to make it a "Veroia vs Rodos" thing, I consider myself way too mature to start such a stupid thing.
I just felt insulted by your comment regarding the ability of a person living in Veroia on buying an Amiga back in the late 80's/early 90's. You cannot deny that most of the people in Greece were considering (wrongly) the Amiga to be an expensive games machine, rather a top-notch multimedia computer. This is why the pc's were selling better. This is why, back in the early 90's most of the people I knew, went for an IBM-XT or AT. Even if you look at the computer magazines of that time, there were the gaming-computer magazines ("Pixel" , "User" - covering all platforms but maily the Amiga) and the serious magazines ("PC Master", "RAM", "Computer gia olous" - covering more serious aspects of computing and aimed strictly at PC users).    
The new Megadeth album rules!

Offline Wain

• Show only replies by Wain
The Commodore 64 is the only macine to sell even close to numbers of 20 million (reports vary from ~17-25)

Every set of numbers I've ever seen on Amiga has been ~5-8 million total worldwide.  Not every television studio, nor every person in Europe has one.  They were popular, but they were not on "top" hardly anywhere for long if at all.
Professional Expatriate

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix

numbers of Amigas sold in Germany until December 93

Hmm... Looking "usable" Amiga models:

Amiga 1200      95.500
Amiga 3000       8.300
Amiga 4000/030   7.500
Amiga 4000/040   3.800

Not much.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline amigakid

• Show only replies by amigakid
wowe didn't we go thru a thread like this just a few ago?  Anyways id place the amount in the millions, that way we can all just forget about it, and maybe think of ways that we can reach a higher number of users instead of wondering how many people use them much less heard of them in the past 10 yrs

Offline A4000Bear

• Show only replies by A4000Bear
    • http://members.iinet.net.au/~davem2/amiga.html
If I remember rightly, I understand that some 5 million Amigas had been sold up until 1990 or 1991, so the total of 7 or 8 million that has been mentioned several times could be quite accurate.

Australia was a surprisingly good market for the Amiga. I remember hearing figures of 700,000 to 1 million being quoted. Personally, I would go for the 700,000. It's worth noting that even now, there are still three active Amiga user groups here in Melbourne.

I can also recall one of the British Amiga magazines actually had an article on this matter back in the early '90s. Unfortunately, I can't remember which magazine.

Offline Brian Hoskins

• Electronics Engineer & Computer Programmer
    • Show only replies by Brian Hoskins
    • brianhoskins.uk
I use my Amiga every day as my main machine.  I have a lovely brand new Laptop PC running next to it which I do use for stuff, but mainly my Amiga gets used and certainly if I ever want to get any REAL work done it's the Amiga I turn to every time.

As it happens I AM on my PC at the moment, but that's because Im in the middle of upgrading the BPPC on my main Amiga and it isn't going to plan at the mo - normally I'd be writing this reply in IB2.3

Brian

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
@Van_M

Did I really mention goats and cows ???
An A500 did cost 1400DM when it came out, and dropped to 800 by the time
I bought mine (91). Now back in those days computers in general and especially
Amigas where mainly bought by young adults or as presents for kids, 2 market
that aren't ,likely to buy overexpensive items.

It is also a fact that the avarage income in Greece was and is significantly lower
than those in middle-europe.

Nothing more and nothing less was what I wrote ....

@itix
Atleast the A1200 still sold very good in early 94, and I still can't do more than grin
at the insane price I got for mine when I sold it that summer.
Escom also build ~200000 A1200, but it is quite unclear how many of those were
ever sold.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Animagic

• Show only replies by Animagic
    • http://www.pointer-digital.com
filled with goats and cows

Goats and cows?

-Mpeeeeeeeeeeeeee?
-Mooooooooooooooo!

:-P  :-P  :-P  :-P  :-P  :-P  :-P  :-P
Greek Amiga User Group Amiga Hellas
You can find me on #amigahellas IRC channel on GRnet.

Offline Pete

• Show only replies by Pete
    • http://sthelensphotographs.co.uk
Am I the oldest Amiganoid on here?

DoB March 1951

Offline huronking

• Show only replies by huronking
I'm quite sure there were more than 200k sold in North America.

For example the A500 was the hottest selling in the
Christmas season of 1991 bar none. As I recall one
particular chain, (now defunct) Montgomery Ward had a big dispute with C= about paying for the units they moved that year that played a part in C='s eventual demise. I dont remember the specifics. I think there was a similar dispute with AAFES who also sold tons of them.

If I remember correctly there were like 7,000,000 A500s sold.

However- since I was stationed in Wildflecken, Germany when I bought my A500 and took it home
with me your estimate of the German market is
inflated by at least 1. :)

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
in an amiga format magazine i read commodore celebrating 1 MILLION users in the UK.
this was also dated in 1992!!! when the amiga still had a lot of life left in it
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

Offline selco

• Show only replies by selco
    • http://selco.da.ru
What do all these figures say today?

Sell some millions of recent machines ASAP!

(And do not only produce a batch a 500 pieces every few months)

Offline DanDude

• Show only replies by DanDude
Re: Guesses on amount of people related to amiga.(this includes all ages and all coun
« Reply #44 from previous page: January 05, 2004, 05:01:06 PM »
~1 person owning 13 Amigas in his home

(1 being converted to a VT flyer workstation with LAN)

(1 being used for internet via LAN)

(my brother using one as an overlay graphics system)

(another using as a BIG countdown clock using displays that use the serial port)

(others to be named in use whenever possible)

donated a 2000 PSU to a friend of mine, he really needs a hard drive in his 2000.
#AmIRC
mesra.dal.net or hotspeed.dal.net
irc2.beyondirc.net