Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: One unified OS for the future?  (Read 8512 times)

Description:

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: One unified OS for the future?
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 10:33:30 PM »
Quote from: Niding;777411
INDIEGO Appstore seems to cather for all platforms. AmigaStore focuses 100% on AOS.
Ill let people with expirience with INDIEGO Appstore give details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FhieAkeh2M&list=UUUzG5OUZ3TNHSzjab9ENVjg

My mistake, I thought that AmiStore was going to support all developers of any Amiga or Amiga inspired platform.  I'll have to check into it more closely and see if it actually prohibits developers of software for other platform to submit their programs for sale on the site.  Since AmiStore is an application that only runs on AmigaOS4.x, it does not make much sense to market software for other platforms from that store.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 10:39:12 PM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 10:39:18 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;777403
Edit: Yasu, you beat me to the punch.

I have my moments :)

Offline Niding

• Show only replies by Niding
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 10:39:49 PM »
Yasu sorting us both out I see ^^

Matthew alluded to he might look into getting a minimized version of AmigaStore to work for the lower end Amigas (68030 range or lower?).
At the moment he mentioned the Store to run crippling slow on even a 060.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 10:42:51 PM by Niding »

Offline Faerytale

• Show only replies by Faerytale
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 10:45:23 PM »
There is already a unified OS! Its called windows!

We hipsters like to be special! The more obscure the better :)

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 10:58:41 PM »
Quote from: Faerytale;777423
There is already a unified OS! Its called windows!

We hipsters like to be special! The more obscure the better :)

We have a winner. Now let's go home and drink homebrew! :drink:

Offline matt3k

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 11:02:02 PM »
Well Dave you are much more in the 'know' than I am, so I will defer to your thoughts on the matter.

I did state it would be a long shot, but apparently that is even being optimistic.

Stopping the back and forth between the camps with one OS is appealing bit not realistic apparently...

A shame really and a waste of resources, but it is what it is.  Perhaps the only solution is for a big investor to buy it all up and reorganize.  With the minimal potential return that would be near to impossible...

Oh well I thought it was a well thought out idea at the time... :)

Now for my own comments on this topic.

It will never happen!  At this point in time I am not convinced that it would be the best thing for us even if it could be accomplished, but I understand the desire to have our limited resources all working on the same OS, to improve the speed of progress.  It is just not possible, unless one person or group could buy out all of the groups, and even then there is no guarantee that the community would follow the new path and decisions made by this one person or group who had gotten control of all existing Amiga and Amiga inspired platforms.

There are too many differences of opinions on which direction is the best for any one of those choices to be considered the ONLY right choice for all of us.  Each choice has it's own life now, it's own user base (though many users are involved in more than one of these choices), it's own developers, and it's own vision for the future.

Nice dream, but a waste of time dreaming of something that can never happen.

Edit: Yasu, you beat me to the punch.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 11:24:12 PM by matt3k »

Offline Niding

• Show only replies by Niding
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 11:26:34 PM »
matt3k; I did actually link your post to Olaf (AROS), commenting "good post, but it will never happen".

I left the Amiga Classic platform when I joined the army in Norway mid 95s, and suddenly 10-14 years passed until I started browsing Amiga forums again. I was kinda suprised about the fragmatation and the relative hostile tone some had (and still have). But I think its the loud minority tbh. Maybe I shouldnt have been suprised. When people have no news or anything to do, people get frustrated and that energy seemed to be turned inwards.

For the most part I try to stay away from the noise, and actually find myself posting private messages more than public posts :P

Anyhow, I think AOS, AROS and MorphOS have been developing their own teams for so long that I dont see anyone willing to give up their vision. Cant say I blame them tbh, given the amount of effort they have put in.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 05:08:55 AM »

Quote from: amigadave;777397
And another reply moved to this thread.

That's all I'll say, otherwise it'll all go red vs. blue again - but that osnews article is misleading because for one thing MOS devs had more information than AmigaOS devs about the Peg-II, and also because the osnews article is measuring speed differences between MorphOS 2.3 and AmigaOS 4.1 beta - it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know that comparing a beta to a mature 4-year old product is a little unfair.

Spirantho is wrong. If they are selling beta OS to consumers that is the product then they are selling beta OS to consumer. Beta OS is what you get.

Besides, there is no hidden information about Pegasos 2. Its hardware is documented and it is available to developers.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline itix

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 05:21:04 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;777414
Not being an NG user or a programmer, I'm wondering, how hard is it to code an application that works under both OS4/MorphOS? That I see different versions for things on Aminet is about the most knowledge I have on the subject. From what I understand, they both can run non hardware-banging 3.1 compatible applications natively, correct? And both can run native Amiga hardware-banging code through some form of JIT compiler or built-in UAE, correct? So beyond that, how difficult is it to write things to run on both?

If you use OS 3.1 API then you are source compatible with each other. If you compile to 68k target you are binary compatible with each other.

But problem is that you cant use any new stuff.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2014, 05:33:26 AM »
Quote from: Yasu;777400
Let's stop advocate stuff that simply aint gonna happen. It's better to strive for better cooperation in areas we actually have a shot at succeeding.

+1
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline toRus

• Show only replies by toRus
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2014, 05:38:27 AM »
The question is not whether AmigaOS is a better OS/platform than MorphOS or vice versa. The question is whether a unified platform would be better than both.

Offline itix

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2014, 05:51:21 AM »

There are too many differences of opinions on which direction is the best for any one of those choices to be considered the ONLY right choice for all of us.  Each choice has it's own life now, it's own user base (though many users are involved in more than one of these choices), it's own developers, and it's own vision for the future.

MorphOS and AmigaOs 4 lack common interests.

- MUI 4 / Reaction
 - CGX / P96
 - Ambient / Workbench
 - Netstack / Roadshow
 - Poseidon / other

And many more if we go deeper.

AHI is probably only one of common interest.

Offline Everblue

• Show only replies by Everblue
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2014, 07:19:56 AM »
Let's be serious.... Amistore for Morphos won't happen because that won't increase X1000 sales. Maybe if Morphos is ported to X1000, then yeah, it will happen.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2014, 07:30:26 AM »
Quote from: itix;777473
Spirantho is wrong. If they are selling beta OS to consumers that is the product then they are selling beta OS to consumer. Beta OS is what you get.

Besides, there is no hidden information about Pegasos 2. Its hardware is documented and it is available to developers.

My point was that comparing a mature OS of several years with a beta version of another OS isn't a fair benchmark of speed. I don't think I was wrong.

Plus there are some very low level bits of documentation that the AmigaOS devs did not have access to, which the MorphOS devs did.

Anyway, this is now off-topic, this thread isn't a "my OS can beat up your OS" thread.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline itix

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2014, 08:24:38 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;777482
My point was that comparing a mature OS of several years with a beta version of another OS isn't a fair benchmark of speed. I don't think I was wrong.

Soon it should be possible to compare AmigaOs 4.1.7 against MorphOS 3.7 on Pegasos 2 hardware and later AmigaOS 4.1.7 against MorphOS 3.8 on SAM460.

Plus there are some very low level bits of documentation that the AmigaOS devs did not have access to, which the MorphOS devs did.

Care to mention what bits of documentation Hyperion did not have access to?

Offline ddniUK

• Show only replies by ddniUK
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 15, 2014, 08:42:25 AM »
Where is this 4.1.7 coming from? It is 4.1 Final Edition.