Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New AmigaOS 4.1 Classic Users  (Read 12532 times)

Description:

Offline CSixx

• Show only replies by CSixx
Re: New AmigaOS 4.1 Classic Users
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 06:15:48 AM »
I received my copy today (thanks AmigaKit!).
I was lucky and found five ESS solo-1 cards at work and brought them home for testing.

I removed my Voodoo card, and my 8139 nic, slapped in the radeon card and booted from the floppy boot disk.

The install was straight-forward, and OS4 is working fine so far.

However I cannot get any of the solo sound cards to work. In AHI prefs, the test sound button plays a nice clear tone via paula. But no sound at all through any of the solo cards. At one point, I did get some sound out of one of the cards, but it played whitenoise when the test sound button was pressed instead of the tone. When swapping through the cards a second time, I was unable to even get the whitenoise again.

Showconfig shows the model1969 card installed and lists it as working.

I haven't tried USB (Subway) yet.
(I'm glad I have a three-day weekend coming up)

I also haven't had any time to actually play with OS4, but I'm impressed with the speed so far. It runs extremely well on my BPPC, everything seems very responsive. (330mhz card from Stachu)

Hopefully I can get this sound card issue worked out, and round up a compatable nic card.
Any ideas on getting the solo card working AmigaKit?

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 06:41:08 AM »
@ J-Golden

That's the way I've been looking at it, 4.1 is just an upgrade from 4.0 ... :)

Nothing said about it on the forums until HammerD's post would have made me think it was in fact a total re-write and like I say my previous experience with 4.0 and Hyperion makes me not even bother to check out their own site anymore... :)

Reckon I'll just wait and see what real users verdicts & opinions are on it once they have had time to test it, before deciding if I should invest in this one a give it a try once again... :)

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 09:24:51 AM »
I dont own a PPC card or OS4 and I understand some people feeling when sold a perhaps incomplete  OS and being asked to do it again. But I just like to say even Microsoft does it Windows Vista (buggy, slow, badddd!) to Windows 7 (fast, stable, gooddd), plus it not like every three years you have to upgrade OS, plus this might very well be the last commercial OS for the classic Amigas if the product doesn't get supported after all its a minor miracle this update came out. It cant do miracles with the hardware and a simple OS upgrade wont make you be able to render Blender movies lighting fast, Run smooth html5 ami and web sites or enjoy hd movies etc, but at least it will allow you to run these programs then never being able to and if you upgrade to the limits of a classic machine I'm sure you might be surprised at what it can do, and being on classic amiga hardware I think that pretty neat and respect to all involved in the project.

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 11:08:38 AM »
@haywirepc

What's your config?

If you use BlizzardVision you should disable default skin and use a 3.1-like one.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline CSixx

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 03:32:19 PM »
Can the mods please prune the garbage from this thread? (and preferably the site)...

Here are a couple pics of the sound card I'm working with.
Doesn't seem to work in OS4.1C
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 03:56:22 AM by CSixx »

Offline HammerD

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 03:43:30 PM »
Quote from: CSixx;639965
Can the mods please prune the garbage from this thread? (and preferably the site)...

Here are a couple pics of the sound card I'm working with.
Doesn't seem to work in OS4.1C

Can you get me the Device ID / Vendor ID from the Ranger utility?

It should show up in Ranger, if you can either give me the numbers or give me a screenshot of the PCI output from Ranger I may be able to get support added for it.

Thanks
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 03:49:02 PM »
@CSixx

How did you get a 330Mhz 603e ? Buy it like that? Is your's a Phase 5 board or DCE?
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline amigakitTopic starter

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 03:55:21 PM »
Yes, it will be good if the Moderators can prune this thread accordingly - I originally envisaged this thread being a place to share ideas/experiences about OS 4.1 Classic - from which I can compile a FAQ technical document.

Ill place answers to questions at top of this thread in my first post.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:59:42 PM by amigakit »
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 04:03:13 PM »
Quote from: TheGoose;639969
@CSixx

How did you get a 330Mhz 603e ? Buy it like that? Is your's a Phase 5 board or DCE?

There's a couple of non-trivial upgrades you can do to the old boards to install a 330mhz processor.

(edit: Magnetic, put him in your killfile, it will make your a.org experience a lot better)
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline nicholas

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 04:04:32 PM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;639971
There's a couple of non-trivial upgrades you can do to the old boards to install a 330mhz processor.

A CSPPC with a 330MHz CPU would suit me perfectly. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 04:07:29 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;639972
A CSPPC with a 330MHz CPU would suit me perfectly. :)

I wonder if it'd help people with speed issues and OS4.1

Hey - maybe amigakit could get into the CSPPC rebuild business.  $100 bucks and you get a 330-400mhz CPU.

Might net y'all more sales...
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline CSixx

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 04:11:48 PM »
Quote from: HammerD;639967

It should show up in Ranger, if you can either give me the numbers or give me a screenshot of the PCI output from Ranger I may be able to get support added for it.

Thanks

Absolutely, I will get that this evening once I get home. Thanks.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 05:53:03 PM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;639973
I wonder if it'd help people with speed issues and OS4.1

Hey - maybe amigakit could get into the CSPPC rebuild business.  $100 bucks and you get a 330-400mhz CPU.

Might net y'all more sales...

Sounds like a plan! :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Nearly-Right

• Show only replies by Nearly-Right
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 11:54:12 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;639970
Yes, it will be good if the Moderators can prune this thread accordingly - I originally envisaged this thread being a place to share ideas/experiences about OS 4.1 Classic - from which I can compile a FAQ technical document.

Ill place answers to questions at top of this thread in my first post.

Well getting answers is always good, but you seem to have overlooked mine, YET AGAIN, both by a direct message to your webpage, and even though my questions that were posted prior to ones you have replied to - on page 1 of this topic/thread.

I asked my questions about Classic OS4.1 directly through your AmigaKit message system on 18-May-2011, but so far I've not had any reply from that message, so here it is again, 2nd time, on this forum:

Hi Matthew, or other AmigaKit staff,

QUESTIONS:

1. I bought Amiga Classic OS4.0, soon after it was released, and so I wondered if there is a trade-up discount for such owners, or a trade-in value for Amiga Classic OS 4.1, being offered on the return of the Amiga Classic OS4.0 software.

I had minimal use of it as it was such a poor Amiga OS release, THE WORST, and the only Amiga upgrade I have ever regretted buying, then I gave up, as it was so temperamental/flaky, and from what I read on various forums many people experienced the same troubles I encountered.

2. Has this version been installed by you on any of your Amiga systems, particularly an A1200 PPC system, so I know what it's functionality is likely to be like?

3. Does this release support any Soundcards successfully? - Seems not, see CSixx's comments with a SOLO card with 1938S chipset, which is supposed to work but doesn't it seems.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57842&page=2

If this is just the tip of the iceberg then I'm not going to step up and pay £100 for a new OS4.1 release and meet this stonewall, it's yet another flaky bit of coding/programming if this card does not work at the time of release when all betatesting is supposed to have been done by time of release - abysmal.

It doesn't say much for the betatesters or the company if it hasn't been tested in various setups to ensure it works flawlessly. Not stating that ALL chipsets, or only specific chipsets for the SOLO soundcards are supported/tested working was also a poor piece of communications.

I really am disappointed - that's being very polite. You should have heard what I said about it here at my home, but it's unprintable on this forum.

4. Does it support any PCI USB cards, not ZORRO or Clockport like the Subway or the Deneb - neither of which I have or can use at the moment - I mean a supported PCI USB card that can plug into a Mediator in an A1200 or A3000/A4000?

5. Is a more up-to-date NIC card supported than the RTL8029AS? - You seem to have answered that one, and the answer is no, unless the DMA HACK is allowed.

(comment: Frankly I can't see me buying OS4.1 if the DMA hack is not allowed to function as it takes away much of the benefits of owning a Mediator)

I'm sure to have more questions about this new Amiga OS 4.x release, but this will do for the time being.

Hope to hear from you soon,  (Anytime soon seems will have to do) :(

Offline CSixx

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 01:17:33 AM »
Quote from: HammerD;639967

HammerD, attached is a pic from ranger regarding my ESS card.
Let me know if anything else would help.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 03:56:22 AM by CSixx »

Offline CSixx

« Reply #29 from previous page: May 25, 2011, 01:28:14 AM »
AmigaKit: Is Subway supported?
I've tried a couple flash drives and nothing happens when I plug them in.
There's not much in the USB prefs, other than some logging info. USBInspector shows nothing.

No USB would be a deal breaker for me using OS4.