Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New AmigaOS 4.1 Classic Users  (Read 12530 times)

Description:

Offline amigakitTopic starter

New AmigaOS 4.1 Classic Users
« on: May 24, 2011, 12:58:49 AM »
Users who have just purchased AmigaOS 4.1 Classic for their A1200/A4000 please ask questions here and we are happy to offer help.

Answers to questions posted in this thread are summarised here:

Hardware Questions

Question:
Will Subway USB/Poseidon 4.4 work with OS 4.1 Classic?  Answer: Yes, Subway works through the A1200 clockport.

Question:
Will Deneb USB/Poseidon 4.4 work with OS 4.1 Classic?  Answer: Yes, Deneb confirmed working

Question:
Will Delfina work with OS 4.1 Classic?  Answer:  T.B.C. (pending)

Question:
What network cards work with Mediator?  Answer: only RLT8029AS works at the moment due to DMA hack not implemented in Mediator.

Question:
What USB cards work with Mediator?   Answer:  T.B.C. (pending)

Software Questions

Question:
Where can I obtain software to run on OS 4.1?  Answer: Native software is available at OS4Depot and Aminet.  OS 4.x can also run a lot of 68K applications.

Installation Questions

None

Using OS 4.1 Questions

None
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 09:52:43 AM by amigakit »
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
Re: New AmigaOS 4.1 Classic Users
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 01:01:07 AM »
I have a question, what can you do with it except look at it?

The ppc accellerators for classic are so slow... I can't run milkytrack with it... (Well I can run it but it won't really work right)  I can't run a browser right. I can't run blender unless I want to wait 56 days for it to render something.

So I guess the question is why install 4.1 on a classic system?

Steven

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 01:57:06 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;639837

The ppc accellerators for classic are so slow... I can't run milkytrack with it... (Well I can run it but it won't really work right)  I can't run a browser right. I can't run blender unless I want to wait 56 days for it to render something.

Steven

Don't kill the messenger Steven, they're just the retailer. And actually I got milky tracker to run a lot better after reducing the buffers and setting it to 640x480 last night. I have 210Mhz PPC.

Question, do think a deal / offer could be worked out to get a discount if you wanted 4.1 for a new machine and you previously order this classic 4.x ? Might encourage some up selling / upgrading.

EDIT -----------------------------

Dual booting with 3.9 - the author of this script wrote me back and said this would still work. Can you look at it / concur? Or how would you go about it? I like the idea of a choice screen on power up.

http://aminet.net/docs/help/Dualbooting_EN.pdf
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 02:03:41 AM by TheGoose »
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline Nearly-Right

• Show only replies by Nearly-Right
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 02:46:00 AM »
Quote from: TheGoose;639842
Question, do think a deal / offer could be worked out to get a discount if you wanted 4.1 for a new machine and you previously order this classic 4.x ? Might encourage some up selling / upgrading.

It would for me.

I should also add that I asked some questions about Classic OS4.1 directly through the AmigaKit message system on 18-May-2011, but so far I've not had any reply from that message, so here it is again, on this forum:

Hi Matthew, or other AmigaKit staff,

I bought Amiga Classic OS4.0, soon after it was released, and so I wondered if there is a trade-up discount for such owners, or a trade-in value for Amiga Classic OS 4.1, being offered on the return of the Amiga Classic OS4.0 software.

I had minimal use of it as it was such a poor Amiga OS release, THE WORST, and then I gave up, as it was so temperamental/flaky, and from what I read on various forums many people experienced the same troubles I encountered.

Has this version been installed by you on any of your Amiga systems, particularly an A1200 PPC system, so I know what it's functionality is likely to be like?

Does this release support any Soundcards successfully?

Does it support any PCI USB cards, not ZORRO or Clockport like the Subway or the Deneb - neither of which I have or can use at the moment - I mean a supported PCI USB card that can plug into a Mediator?

Is a more up-to-date NIC card supported than the RTL8029AS?

I'm sure to have more questions about this new Amiga OS 4.x release, but this will do for the time being.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 03:05:28 AM »
Quote from: Nearly-Right;639846
I had minimal use of it as it was such a poor Amiga OS release, THE WORST, and then I gave up, as it was so temperamental/flaky, and from what I read on various forums many people experienced the same troubles I encountered.

Thank you for posting that Nearly-Right... :)

@ Karlos

You see Karlos, those posts we exchanged in the past about my opinions/ views on OS4.0 were not just down to my own opinion of it, others have had the same bad experience of OS4.0 as I have had... :)

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 03:19:41 AM »
I don't mean to kill the messenger, but the complete and total waste of money running os4.x on a classic machine is... No one tells the truth about it here, and someone should before people plop down hundreds and hundreds of dollars for an aging ppc accellerator card and pay for os4.x on top of that. Its totally worthless on a 200mhz processor, period.

Franko,

Your right, even with a 200+mhz ppc accellerator, os 4.? is horribly slow and almost unusable for any real world applications.

If all I want to do is load it and play with the prefs and look at my workbench fine, but doing anything like run applications to get real work done is out of the question.

Thegoose, can you do 32 channels in 16 bit stereo sound on milkytracker, even with all the buffers maxed out at 640x480 ? No you can't. Meaning a pc from 1992 beats os4.X running a music tracking program.

OS4.X is completely useless even with the fastest ppc accellerator for classics. Now if they made a 1ghz+ accellerator for classics, then and only then would I be interested in running os4.x.

Until then, 3.9 it is. Classic ppc accellerators are simply too slow for os4.x but hey, lets sell it anyway? Its ridiculous.

Steven

Offline HammerD

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 03:21:04 AM »
Quote from: Franko;639849
Thank you for posting that Nearly-Right... :)

@ Karlos

You see Karlos, those posts we exchanged in the past about my opinions/ views on OS4.0 were not just down to my own opinion of it, others have had the same bad experience of OS4.0 as I have had... :)

And you're comparing OS4.0 to 4.1 because?  For all intensive purposes it's a totally new product.  

It's running on the same hardware,yes, but with huge updates like PCI Radeon, SATA cards, Solo-1 Sound card, ZorRAM, DB 3128, disk paging, etc etc... all the AmigaOS 4.1, Update 1, and Update 2 features, plus you will get Update 3 and other things...

It's true the only 4.x OS on Classics you can compare it against is the 4.0 release, but IMHO it's a totally different product with huge differences from 4.0.  So it should be evaluated independently from 4.0, I think.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:26:59 AM by HammerD »
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline Franko

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 03:29:56 AM »
Quote from: HammerD;639852
And you're comparing OS4.0 to 4.1 because ?

Erm... dunno where you got that from... :confused:

I never said a word about comparing OS4.0 to OS4.1 here... :confused:

Offline HammerD

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 03:31:39 AM »
Quote from: Franko;639854
Erm... dunno where you got that from... :confused:

I never said a word about comparing OS4.0 to OS4.1 here... :confused:

I just feel that people who had a bad experience with 4.0 are making assumptions that 4.1 will also be bad...they are saying "4.0 was bad, so why should I buy 4.1?" (implying it will also be bad).

I think it should be thought of separately from 4.0 totally...it's a totally new product starting with the kernel.

Ok I'll shut up now :)
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline HotRod

• Show only replies by HotRod
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 03:36:21 AM »
Quote from: HammerD;639852
And you're comparing OS4.0 to 4.1 because?  For all intensive purposes it's a totally new product.  

It's running on the same hardware,yes, but with huge updates like PCI Radeon, SATA cards, Solo-1 Sound card, ZorRAM, DB 3128, disk paging, etc etc... all the AmigaOS 4.1, Update 1, and Update 2 features, plus you will get Update 3 and other things...

It's true the only 4.x OS on Classics you can compare it against is the 4.0 release, but IMHO it's a totally different product with huge differences from 4.0.  So it should be evaluated independently from 4.0, I think.

There are some info and links to videos at http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz/ that might be worth checking out.

One thing that I liked was the native driver for the FastATA card and the mention of cooperation with Elbox. It seems to be more polished than the 4.0 release but I would wait for some reviews I think.

Also, who expect Blender to be fast? It's like expecting Crysis to be fast on a Pentium 233MHz, come on!

Offline Franko

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 03:38:22 AM »
Quote from: HammerD;639855
I just feel that people who had a bad experience with 4.0 are making assumptions that 4.1 will also be bad...they are saying "4.0 was bad, so why should I buy 4.1?" (implying it will also be bad).

I think it should be thought of separately from 4.0 totally...it's a totally new product starting with the kernel.

Ok I'll shut up now :)

I see... :)

To be honest though my experience with OS4.0 and Hyperion have left me with the the same feelings towards them as haywirepc and it would take a hell of a lot to convince me (if that is possible) to ever purchase another product from them again... :)

You yourself answered the question for me in another thread that OS4.1 would not be suitable for me... :)

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 03:40:03 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;639837

Steven

Hi,

@haywirepc,

Just ordered my OS 4.1 for the classic Amiga.

I have a CF drive getting ready to run it as soon as I receive it. Why install it?
Well I bought my PPC card several years ago, waited for OS 4.0 to come out, got upset waiting, put my PPC Amiga away, missed the order window, due to Hyperion and Amiga Inc. fighting in court. Now I get to fulfill my destiny, I get to load OS 4.1 on my Amiga 1200 and finally get to look at it (when it arrives). What can I do with it, I can boot it up and look at it, again and again and again. Then one day I will get tired of booting it up and looking at it and I may try programming on it. Remember when the PPC cards first hit, this was the salvation of the Amiga. It was the way that the future was going to look.

So why install it on a classic system?  Franko I need some help, Kesa give me a hint, Amigadave help, Karlos why?

I really don't have a clue except for curiosity got the cat and besides that Mr. haywirepc who the hello are you to ask such a deliberately hard question. Why don't you just go back to the hay stack where you belong.

sheesh  some people

Have to stick their noses into everything.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline Franko

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 04:14:32 AM »
Hi Smerf... :)

I thought you'd got OS4.0 up and running a wee while back !!!
What happened (not another Snickers bar incident was it) ??? :(

Cheers

Franko

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 05:46:20 AM »
Likes and dislikes for Hyperion aside, I think what is turning a lot of 4.0 users and perspective users against the idea of 4.1 is the name itself!

After reading quite a bit about 4.1, I realized that the major error with it is its TITLE!

Supposedly 4.1 is rebuilt from the kernel up right?  I personally would call that a major change!  The title "4.1" leads to the thought that this is only an upgrade and going from 4.0 to 4.1 a minor one at that.  They can say all they want, but the first thing people will see is that version number change and say, "Oh, it's just an upgrade".

So if the title portrays the mindset that this is just an upgrade, of course people who paid good money for 4.0 will want an option to step-up to 4.1 at a discount.  It would only be fair right?

And people who installed and used 4.0 with lackluster results are easily justified in thinking 4.1 won't be any better since, again, it is just a minor up date.

I think that if this came out under a completely different number (5.0) like they do with major changers in Linux flavors or a separate name (Sorry, not feeling creative to make up a name on the spot) it MIGHT have changed the way people looked at the newest version of the OS.

Heck, 4.5 would have lent to a better idea of the major changes put into this package...

My two cents.
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline CSixx

• Show only replies by CSixx
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 06:15:48 AM »
I received my copy today (thanks AmigaKit!).
I was lucky and found five ESS solo-1 cards at work and brought them home for testing.

I removed my Voodoo card, and my 8139 nic, slapped in the radeon card and booted from the floppy boot disk.

The install was straight-forward, and OS4 is working fine so far.

However I cannot get any of the solo sound cards to work. In AHI prefs, the test sound button plays a nice clear tone via paula. But no sound at all through any of the solo cards. At one point, I did get some sound out of one of the cards, but it played whitenoise when the test sound button was pressed instead of the tone. When swapping through the cards a second time, I was unable to even get the whitenoise again.

Showconfig shows the model1969 card installed and lists it as working.

I haven't tried USB (Subway) yet.
(I'm glad I have a three-day weekend coming up)

I also haven't had any time to actually play with OS4, but I'm impressed with the speed so far. It runs extremely well on my BPPC, everything seems very responsive. (330mhz card from Stachu)

Hopefully I can get this sound card issue worked out, and round up a compatable nic card.
Any ideas on getting the solo card working AmigaKit?