Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Next step for Amiga(like)OS?  (Read 9229 times)

Description:

Offline AeroMan

• Show only replies by AeroMan
Re: Next step for Amiga(like)OS?
« Reply #104 from previous page: July 20, 2008, 04:05:12 AM »

uncharted wrote:

There needs to be a tighter integration than just having *UAE for it to really work.  If you took a look at how OS 9 compatibility was implemented you'd see that while there was a sand-boxed copy of OS9 launched in a window when it was needed, the actual software itself ran fully integrated with OS X.  It looked different, and had a different menubar at the top, but otherwise, it was another app.  There was no need to switch between OSes to use it.

Maybe I couldn't express myself the right way. What I was thinking about is do the same way Apple did

If it is an OS 3 program, the system could launch an emulator to run it without the user notice. Pretty much like  
Apple did when they moved from 68K to PPC.

The advantage is that modern processors are capable of emulating a fast Amiga. If you tried 68K apps on the early PPC Macs, you probably noticed they were not as fast as native 68K

Regarding AROS, I'm a big fan of it, and think it is such a great idea. I don't think Win/Linux with UAE are a good solution for a modern Amiga, because Windows and Linux are not what I expect from an OS to work with.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2008, 04:25:45 AM »
Mac provided a bridge to allow new software to develop.  Classic can't run on any Mac made in the last 2 years, and no Motorola based software runs on anything made in this century.  The trouble with Amiga is that it's living in a time warp, 20 year old software is still desirable.  This is a problem, the Amiga can't make the jump in one step and in trying to take multiple steps you will use the handful of users that still exist.

Maybe we're just deluding ourselve anyway.  If someone really produced a modern Amiga OS there's still no software, nobody will care.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline codenetfx

• Show only replies by codenetfx
« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2008, 05:29:24 AM »
 :-o
===================================================
2x(A500+GVP Hard drive), A4000/VT, A3000/386SX, A1200/Blizzard 1230 50MHz, A2000/68040/GVP/SCSI/Toaster, A2500/GVP/SCSI, A3000/Toaster, G4 Mac Mac SE30, Thinkpads T40s/X41, Linux boxes...

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2008, 10:01:48 AM »

codenetfx wrote:
@amigadave

MiniMig project shows that it is possible to implement a complex hardware design (custom chipset) on a single chip.

OCS ain't a "complex hardware design" by today's standard, not even at a stretch.....
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline codenetfx

• Show only replies by codenetfx
« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2008, 05:21:35 PM »
@Kronos: Your "7 point program" (in your signature) confirms that you cannot be serious with that claim about complexity of the ECS chipset.

Kronos wrote:

codenetfx wrote:
@amigadave

MiniMig project shows that it is possible to implement a complex hardware design (custom chipset) on a single chip.

OCS ain't a "complex hardware design" by today's standard, not even at a stretch.....
===================================================
2x(A500+GVP Hard drive), A4000/VT, A3000/386SX, A1200/Blizzard 1230 50MHz, A2000/68040/GVP/SCSI/Toaster, A2500/GVP/SCSI, A3000/Toaster, G4 Mac Mac SE30, Thinkpads T40s/X41, Linux boxes...

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #109 on: July 20, 2008, 07:14:04 PM »
@codenetfx,

You completely misunderstood the meaning of my message.  Your response has nothing to do with what I was pointing out.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Jpan1

• Show only replies by Jpan1
« Reply #110 on: July 20, 2008, 08:38:35 PM »
IMO, Amiga Technologies ought to catch up with..well, err, technology and then implement a useful operating sysyem which is based on simple parameters, like the old days.
Then it could compete with the other O.S's. But who would programme such an O.S and its a catch 22 at the moment, until the hardware is updated in an 'Amiga' way, we would have to wait a while until the O.S gets updated.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2008, 01:07:18 AM »
Just making a modern OS isn't the only problem.  If there were a modern Amiga OS it still would lake applications to run on it.  There's nobody to write the OS, nobody to write the killer apps.  Face it, if you had an idea for a killer app you'd develop it to run on MS Windows and OS X too.

I can get 512 MB graphics cards from NVIDEA, you can put multiple cards and combine the processing power of the cards.  I can run dual quad core Xeons in the machine itself.  Who's going to write the OS that can handle all these processors?  And then write an app better than current sate of the art by a mile.  Even then there's no office suite unless you port OpenOffice.  The whole thing is just daunting in the extreme.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline DerekG

• Show only replies by DerekG
« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2008, 10:57:28 PM »
Late jumping in on this thread, but here goes my 2 cents:

bloodline wrote:

amigadave wrote:
This is starting to sound too much like you guys want to exclude the AOS4.x team members no matter what and I am wondering if the motives are more than just objective.

This thread was probably a bad idea anyway.

Seems that our best hope for a unified future is for AInc. to go under, just like every other Amiga owner has.  They sure aren't going to do us any good.

A Inc going under can only be a good thing... But hey why don't we forget about tainted code and propriatory operating systems and start a community based open source AmigaOS, that the community could then "own" free of any dodgy companies, legal issues and expensive hardware... Woe, woe and thrice woe, if only such a project existed... If only something like that had been started 10 years ago... Sigh... If only...

Open Source OS? Great idea. But what about Open Source Hardware? And are we talking classic Amiga hardware, Intel/AMD based hardware, Apple Hardware, or something entirely new altogether?

I for one wouldn't mind seeing something entirely new and revolutionary as the original Amiga was. A new era of hardware and software. Something more advanced than anything else out there and ahead of its time! I'll even volunteer to Beta test it all!  :-D
I\\\'m an Amiga. Hear me Roar!