Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 3000D owners, do you want a better power supply?  (Read 7651 times)

Description:

Offline Zac67

• Show all replies
Re: Amiga 3000D owners, do you want a better power supply?
« on: April 19, 2007, 07:08:34 PM »
eslapion wrote:

However, I was told by a retired technician that the TICK signal may be used to synchronise the display refresh rate with the frequency of the mains to avoid wavy variations in luminance in the display when not using the built-in flickerfixer.

This is not really what it's for. The TICK signal feeds the internal system clock (CIA) which is usually fed by _VSync (Agnus) on the smaller machines.
Running it from the constant mains frequency means your clock is independent from the screen mode you're using - with ECS any screen mode different from the native one will screw up your system clock otherwise.
J350 changes this to _VSync (which I have done on my A3k 3 weeks after buying it since mains TICK was WAY off).

Offline Zac67

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 10:08:25 PM »
AMIGAZ wrote:
I'm just about to replace my fan in my A3000 PSU too....it's too damn noisy  :-o

That was something else I did when my A3k was still young. Put in a nice Papst that's still running very nicely. :-D

Offline Zac67

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 07:22:02 AM »
To be on the sure side, I wouldn't use a regulated fan. The 8412 I've been using for a long time is audible, but definitely not annoying. Its throughput is at least the same as the original fan's.

Offline Zac67

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 11:26:43 AM »
That won't do.
Truely, the standard ATX power button is a simple open push button BUT it connects to the mainboard, which in turn uses the (constant!) _PS_ON signal to turn on the PSU. Just leaving the switch function as is will make it switch the way you need.  :-)