Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New (?) Mini mac pics  (Read 10605 times)

Description:

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
Re: New (?) Mini mac pics
« on: January 11, 2005, 09:48:56 PM »
This looks cool.  If it's quiet enough I'll probably get one for general browsing/email use.   The G4 iMacs and eMacs were fairly noisy.  I was looking for an AMD PIC but this will probably be more interesting in the long run.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 02:59:34 AM »

Wayne wrote:
Like I said, I'm not putting it down at all, I'm just trying to figure out how to buy one.

Just click the "Buy Now" button.   :lol:  I'm in the same boat.  I have to convince my wife that the computer I bought in November was "last year".  I don't think it will work.  Anyone want to buy a CSMK2?

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 03:24:01 AM »
@StormLord

Apple has never been known for it's quality. Your statement about A+ quality components and MTBF (HBF as you say it) is hogwash.  Please supply some real sources to back this up.

No viruses or exploits.  Then why is there Antivirus software and system patches?  No system is perfect, they all have flaws.

The only reasons that Macs cost more than equivilent PC are: 1) people are willing to pay, 2) Apple has a hardware monopoly, and 3) Apple uses illegal price fixing strategies to eliminate dealer competition.

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
Re: ? How you and your Amiga will benifit.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 04:54:26 AM »

Wayne wrote:
There's no indication anywhere that the CPU in the mac mini ISN'T socketed, since there are two different ones, $100 apart.

The pics I've seen show the CPU directly mounted on the board.  They just make two motherboards.  It's much more cost effective, reliable, and space concience this way.

Offline adolescent

• Show all replies
Re: ? How you and your Amiga will benifit.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 07:04:48 AM »

AmiXDel wrote:
I dunno, I am REALLY excited about getting this new piece of hardware (the dvd rom BETTER not be crap!!!!), but I will never get over the fact that by simply lifting the lid, dropping on some RAM and closing it, you break warrenty. Also Mac is royally screwing over un-aware customers by charging $300 over the 1Gb RAM stick's worth. That is INSANE!!

I don't think anyone knows the warranty yet.  In the past Apple let you install things like memory without voiding your warranty.  In fact, if you price a custom system on Apple's website they go out of their way to say that the AirPort card is dealer installed only, but don't mention this when it comes to memory.

Regarding the price, it's about $200 off based on Crucial's prices, not $300.  Although the 512MB is actually cheaper through Apple.