Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Story of VD0 - the invention of the recoverable ram disk  (Read 12981 times)

Description:

Offline pault1

• Show all replies
    • http://www.calweb.com/~pault
Re: Story of VD0 - the invention of the recoverable ram disk
« on: March 17, 2010, 12:09:32 AM »
(if this message posts twice sorry, I got screwed by having two windows open and it wouldn't recognize the post I spent fifteen minutes typing and researching....  :(

Perry, great to see you here.  I think I must have met you at some West Coast US Amiga show, C= in SF, Amiga shows in Oakland, Sac, or Long Beach/Queen Mary?  I was never to FAUG but was active in ACCESS in Livermore and Amiga Addicts in Walnut Creek/Concord, hung out with Randy from Winner's Circle.

My A1000 was made FAR more enjoyable by use of the RRD and FACC II.  I ended up eventually using C='s RAD: for its ability to accept a Diskcopy from the WB floppy, so that after a speeded up Diskcopy noverify (sounds right anyway), the 1000 would reboot and work from the RAD: like lightning.  It was actually faster to do it that way than to boot from the floppy, too!  Then I had two physical floppies available for software + storage, which FACC II made way faster as well.  Very cool and usable solutions.  In fact IIRC, I could load FACC II and then run some games like Bard's Tale, which cut its disk accesses WAY down and made it way more responsive.

Even if I was using the Starboard 2MB instead of ASDG's memory holder.

But your software always seemed high quality.  I bought a buddy's software including ADPro when he changed platforms, used it to retouch and tile out a scan of my parents' b&w wedding photos for their 50th anniversary.  Printed out at two feet by three feet in b&w on my HP deskjet 500 and carefully pasted up, you really couldn't see from more than three feet away that it wasn't a professional poster.  So I put it behind a velvet rope that was four feet away.  :)   I _still_ think that for many tasks that the Amiga software was just _right_ and far easier to use than packages on other platforms.

Paul T.