Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What will drive the New Amiga?  (Read 22779 times)

Description:

Offline joemango

• Show all replies
Re: Nitpick alert
« on: March 22, 2004, 09:08:12 PM »
So what I haven't seen here is a suggestion to make Amiga into something that the average desktop computer isn't.

Portable.  And useful.

I'm talking about a sub-$500 handheld with wifi and possibly GPRS that runs amiga OS4 on a barebones (400 Mhz?) handheld PowerPC platform, let's say 640x480 video, 4GB microdrive, touchscreen, firewire, usb2, CF, maybe 128 MB ram.  This level of hardware would be fairly easy to implement for cheap.   No need to muck around with ARM processors, IBM and MOT have scaled the PPC down to an embedded form factor so your OS3/4 codebase will work just fine.  Make it a multi-media computer in your hand.  You'll have assloads of older games to exploit for content, plus some great lo-res graphics and fx utilities.  

Why not?  People go for Palm OS not because it is compatible, but because it works well, is easy to use and has the features they need in one package.

With the right feature set and marketing, a device like this could take off, if only marketed to the MP3/Gameboy/early adopter markets.  There's no WAY an Amiga would ever take over the business PDA market, so why try?  I for one would love to have a handheld computer that could record hi-fidelity audio or video and play games and chat over wifi.  It could be the new Walkman.

Or maybe not.
A3000D 030/30  8MB fast, 500MB SCSI, HD floppy.  Sits in a box.
Waiting patiently for my FPGA Replay.