Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barry Altman and Commodore USA  (Read 65049 times)

Description:

Offline tone007

Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« on: September 02, 2010, 02:46:13 PM »
Clever idea though, instead of a Recycle Bin/Trash Can, the desktop can have a toilet icon deleted files go into.  Right click, "Flush Commode!"
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline tone007

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 12:17:30 AM »

Offline tone007

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 12:38:38 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;577423
Yup, when did branding and rebranding become something ugly? What's so different from slapping on an Amiga sticker on a Teron? Oh wait, the Teron never had Amiga stickers...

Commodore and Amiga were something original and different. Taking run of the mill PCs that don't do anything that any other PC on the market (from established vendors with real reputations and real support) can do and branding them Commodore/Amiga to play on the fond memories people have of the names from their early computing experiences (the "good old days" which most seem so eager to reclaim) for nothing but profit is very lame.

Bring on the original product, even if it's only a replica C64 case.  At least that'd show a bit more effort than doing some paperwork and ordering generic computers.

Offline tone007

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 01:44:22 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;577436
No one else even considered the possibility.

..right.  I can think of a couple.  They just all happened to fail!

Offline tone007

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 02:42:29 AM »
What if he succeeds?

Then people will have PCs with Commodore logos on them and he'll get his new sports car.

I couldn't really care less whether or not he got the rights to do it legally, but provided he does of course he has the right to try.  The basic idea of throwing a Commodore or Amiga logo on some generic piece of hardware that doesn't do anything different than any other is just cheesy.

You may have noticed my signature contains a couple of "Commodore" items that are rebranded imports.  I happily bought them for far less than retail value for a laugh when the vendor who was attempting to market them stopped for whatever reason.  Should that happen in this case, I can't say I won't be tempted again!

Offline tone007

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 02:51:27 AM »
Quote from: dammy;577457
@tone007

Funny, I seem to remember saying the same thing about a rebadged Teron MOBO pretending to be an Amiga not too long ago.  Or am I getting that confused with the embedded SoCs based mobo of present and future? ;-)

Not really sure what you're getting at, but the Terons, X1000s, and SAMs actually do something different than a generic x86 PC and have a place, running OS4.1.  Call them whatever you want, but they're required hardware if you want OS4.1.

There are millions upon millions of PCs capable of running Windows, Linux, and AROS.  A few of those will be relabeled Commodore, apparently.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 02:53:32 AM by tone007 »

Offline tone007

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 05:51:20 PM »
Quote from: dammy;577549
So what's the difference between them and x86_64 except you pay a huge price to run OS4 on a PPC mobo that is inferior.

Read veeery carefully.  

Call them whatever you want, but they're required hardware if you want OS4.1.

The x86 will not run OS4.1.  This is the difference.  This is why the PPC systems exist, whether or not they're "Amigas," they run AmigaOS.  Obviously, if you don't want to run OS4.1, you don't buy one of the overpriced PPC systems.

Offline tone007

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 06:21:28 PM »
Quote from: dammy;577564
Maybe not today, tomorrow you never know.

Maybe you don't, but I think most people have a pretty good idea that OS4.1 won't be ported to x86 by tomorrow!  As for years down the road, who knows, doesn't make any difference to people who want to do this stuff today.

However, last I heard,  doesn't MOS have a OS4 emulator?

Maybe.  Linux has a Windows emulator too.  Still not OS4, and still running on PPC (sorry, x86!)

Offline tone007

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 03:10:34 AM »
Quote from: Digiman;671617
Well the VIC20 looks nicer due to colour IMO but it also originally came with an awesome feeling PET style keyboard too so if they did it properly then it ould need a different keyboard.

Only the very earliest came with that PET style keyboard, I have a couple and they feel like crap. Good luck duplicating that!

The look of the keyboard, however, is definitely appealing, and I couldn't help putting one of the PET style keyboards in my Educator64.  That PET case just didn't look right with a standard C64 keyboard.