Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barry Altman and Commodore USA  (Read 64751 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show all replies
Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« on: September 03, 2010, 12:16:08 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;577383
OK folks, here it is:

Thanks for the effort, and thanks for the info! :)

I look forward to this new Commodore Amiga, and kudos to him for actually doing what many people dreamed about for many years - bringing the Commodore and Amiga brands together again! :)

And if you can install AROS on it, it will be an upswing for AROS as well! :-)

I think 2011 might be the year of Amiga! :-)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show all replies
Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 12:24:38 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;577420
Yes, I probably should  have mentioned that in my posting, since he brought that up. The Phoenix is essentially the same as the Cybernet computer.

So, I'd have to say, not only are you right but that the pictures in both manuals appear to be exactly the same.

I don't think he'd deny that. Especially since you can compare the two documents and see where the Commodore document uses the same photos as the Cybernet document. Since both are copyrighted, unless Cybernet has a problem with this its not really an issue.

The issue is whether or not the PC 64 gets built. The Amiga could be assembled from standard computer parts, in fact could be purchased whole from another company. However, the C64's case isn't going to appear in anyone else's product. Now, if he manages to present this product for sale, he'll have at least proven he can offer something unique.

I'll give him till Christmas, and maybe even a little longer, but if he can't produce what he's announced then he's dishonest. Until then, he's just doing what plenty of other small computer resellers do.

Yup, when did branding and rebranding become something ugly? What's so different from slapping on an Amiga sticker on a Teron? Oh wait, the Teron never had Amiga stickers... ;)

Seriously, he is obviously running a pure trading company, and there is nothing wrong with this. He has now obtained the right to sell some stuff under the Amiga marks. Great! :) AFAIK he has never claimed to have been developing anything. He is putting together components from various sources, like hardware, OS and fun trademarks, in order to create something that can be perceived as something slightly more valuable than the components separately. I think people should just give him a break...

:)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)