Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Minimum AROS specs?  (Read 3581 times)

Description:

Offline dammy

• Show all replies
Re: Minimum AROS specs?
« on: January 14, 2012, 02:57:51 PM »
Quote from: paolone;675752
@others

What's wrong in a question like "What are the minimum specs of an X86 machine to get a good user experience?". Persia asked a configuration "to get a GOOD experience", and you are all suggesting that AROS can run on a dustbin with a obsolete processor inside? Please stick to the question. If he wants a GOOD user experience, he NEEDS a enough-powerful & supported PC, not a scrap taken out of the junkyard.

Last time we had a poll running on AROS-exec some five or so years ago, people were finding 1.x GHz systems in the trash.  I wouldn't be shocked to hear people finding dual core systems in the trash by now.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline dammy

• Show all replies
Re: Minimum AROS specs?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 04:55:11 PM »
Quote from: paolone;675911
I'd say they're absolutely good for AROS. I just suggest to avoid anything too old or too much underpowered to give a good experience. Don't forget different processor architectures behave really different at the same core frequency. For instance, a 1.8 GHz Sandy Bridge processor will be better than a 2,4 GHz Pentium 4. But that doesn't matter at all: what I say, in the end, is just avoid to use those old 400 or 500 MHz processors. The fact that AROS can run on them doesn't absolutely mean you wish to use AROS on them.

I think the approach is wrong, perhaps focusing in on a reasonable performance gfx card that AROS supports would be better as most technoids would associate a reasonable system with that level of GPU performance. ie, if the gfx card is PCI-E and not AGP, a 233MHz pentium would not be considered.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.