Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Vampire 600 boards for the Amiga 600 on the way  (Read 8088 times)

Description:

Offline ChaosLord

• Show all replies
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
Re: Vampire 600 boards for the Amiga 600 on the way
« on: September 10, 2013, 07:03:35 AM »
Quote from: matthey;747375

I too am skeptical of the performance increases over the TG68k given the limited resources. The MIPS test will probably give good results if the code fits in the ICache but the Phoenix will have smaller caches than the 68060 or even the 68040. Many of the timings are better than the 68040 but I expect overall performance similar to a 68040. There isn't any way a Cyclone 2 is going to outperform a 68060. Perhaps SysInfo will give 100MIPS result but that is meaningless.

Why is Majsta using such an old and slow FPGA?
Is it tremendously cheaper?

The Apollo needs a complete rewrite to be squished down into the Cyclone 2.

That means it has to be re-debugged all over again.  This takes time.

Then it will need to be rewritten again when someone makes a version for a newer, bigger and faster FPGA chip.  Which means it will need to be redebugged all over again.  Jens will have really a lot of work to do :)
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline ChaosLord

• Show all replies
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
Re: Vampire 600 boards for the Amiga 600 on the way
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:05:18 AM »
Quote from: matthey;747492
You must be referring to the integer 68060 ISA only. Do you really want to drop the integer 64 bit MULS/MULU instructions in hardware just to be 100% compatible with the 68060? This is silly.

+1

An MMU is not planned in the near future. The 68060 has a Cadillac of an MMU that would be expensive and difficult to duplicate and test. A simpler MPU would be more likely at first.

I really think they should / have to include the simple MMU that the EC060 version has.  Iirc it works on 16MB blocks of memory and marks them as cacheable or not.  I think that is all it does.  No VM stuff.

If they include that then it will be really and truly "060 compatible" so AmigaOS can boot up out of the box.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA