Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Recent site performance issues  (Read 6874 times)

Description:

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
Re: Supporting a member
« Reply #44 from previous page: July 16, 2011, 08:57:37 AM »
404 errors on some posts too that I've noticed. :-/
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: Recent site performance issues
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2011, 11:11:51 AM »
4:06 AM, MST - when I went to post this, the server hung on sending the post page for a good 45 secs:

--- snip ---
vBulletin Message

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.
--- snip ---

After the timeout/too busy msg, I hit a.org in my bookmarks and it came up immediately.  Odd stuff.

Offline paul2004v

• Show only replies by paul2004v
    • http://www.retro-kit.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2011, 11:21:48 AM »
Just to add to the information, I'm seeing slowdowns, the odd 500 error and today I saw an IIS6 style error page saying there was a Database error and to refresh. The site performance for me is achingly slow and I'm on a 50Mb/s connection and every other site I visit is almost instant...

Paul

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2011, 01:18:09 PM »
Quote from: Duce;649803
4:06 AM, MST - when I went to post this, the server hung on sending the post page for a good 45 secs:

--- snip ---
vBulletin Message

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

--- snip ---

After the timeout/too busy msg, I hit a.org in my bookmarks and it came up immediately.  Odd stuff.

LOL. I got this twice today so thought i would quote you on it and when i tried it came up the third time. Too funny!

But i did find it strange that the server was too busy with only 65 people online. What does this mean Karlos!? What does this mean??
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Tension

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2011, 02:22:10 PM »
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@amiga.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache mod_fcgid/2.3.6 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at amiga.org Port 80

Plus

The server is too busy at the moment.

Basically, the new owners are cheap bastards, have pocketed the donation money & kitty money, have re-instated ads while letting the site languish on the cheapest shittiest deal they could find.

Putting it any other way is just beating around the bush.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2011, 02:28:49 PM »
Wow I've had more errors today than a CUSA press release... :D

Thought at first it was a sneak attack on me account again, so I sharpened up the squirrels teeth and put on their little black balaclavas ready to launch and all out tickling stick attack... :madashell:

Luckily I read these posts first and it was a false alarm (stand down , Humprey, Albert, Jimmy and the rest of the SNP (that's Squirrel Ninja Platoon))... :)

Seems everything is fine and it's just the server/site falling apart... phew... ;)

Offline Franko

« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2011, 02:58:25 PM »
Wow... looks like Karlos has abandoned ship... :eek:

Posted a few moments ago on Wayne's site by Karlos...

I'm kinda gutted at the state of the place. I'm no so bothered about who is and who isn't flavour of the month over there; these things always go round in cycles from my experience.

What upsets me is the seeming lack of basic upkeep of the place. The cracks are really showing now, with frequent delays, db dropouts and associated errors.

I've done what I can for the place. First there was the migration and all the 3rd party xoops stuff to import. Since moving to vb, all 20 or so of classic users got short shrift, so I created a proxy just for them. The place was breached twice (injected php, nothing was added to or taken from the db) by automated attacks. Both times I was able to fix it, do the post mortem and plug whatever hole had allowed it in the first place. We've had various bugs crop up that I've fixed or worked around (that bloody shareads() thing was the worst, living as it did inside eval()'d code).

More recently, the site started to grind, so I reviewed all the basic performance stuff. And when fixing htaccess rules, slow queries, insert/update prority policies, on-the-fly image re-sampling and a dozen other aspects wasn't enough, I started a "donut" cache project to try and reduce the query overhead. In the end, the latter needs much more work to be reliable and robust. I was going to look into that this weekend.

And then it hit me. Why am I even bothering? It's not as if *I* own the place and as far as I can tell, there's nothing actually wrong with it that couldn't be fixed by getting a heavier duty hosting package.

So, yesterday I logged out for the first time since it migrated.

Full Link...

Karlos Abandons Ship...

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2011, 04:32:16 PM »
We will do what is required to solve the problem including moving Amiga.org to the more robust DiscreetFX servers. Problem will get resolved ASAP.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 04:35:44 PM by SysAdmin »
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
Well, the fact that the errors are really hitting us now (The weekend) seams clear that it IS usage centered.  That or the host sets the limits by the week or something...
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2011, 06:29:38 PM »
Quote from: Franko;649828
Wow... looks like Karlos has abandoned ship...

Well, it doesn't say that exactly...
Just that he's been working his @$$ off trying to keep this boat afloat and he's stepping back for a bit...

I can tell from what I've read of the situation and what I know of Karlos as a web guy; he's persistent, a creative problem solver, and he cares..

That last one is a great feature to have in an admin, but it's a dangerous one too.. ;-)  You don't want your best techs burning out..  

He's earned a break with all the great work he's done...
Take your time Karlos, and thanx for everything you've done so far.. (and for more when you get back!!!)
:)

desiv
"Hey, isn't desiv the guy who disagrees with Karlos alot??  What's up?"  (I hear you say)
Yes, but I respect his abilities as a Web guy.. I am not, and know how hard that is...
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2011, 06:37:18 PM »
Quote from: Franko;649828
Wow... looks like Karlos has abandoned ship... :eek:

Posted a few moments ago on Wayne's site by Karlos...

You're such a -=Moderated=- Franko.  He said no such thing.  All I see is a post about all the work he's done.  Looks like he just took a breather for a minute.  Sometimes we get really deep into something.  Looks like he sees the best decision is not software patches and repairs, but hardware.  

We all need a break sometimes.  

Stop being a -=Moderated=- troll sometimes.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 12:08:45 AM by Argo »
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline Franko

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2011, 06:47:25 PM »
@ Desiv

I sure as hell hope Karlos aint giving it up altogether, that guy works his arse off round here all hours of the day and night keeping things running as smooth as he can, hopefully he's just taking a well earned break like you say otherwise I dread to think how this place would keep afloat (technically wise I mean) without him... :)

Apart from Karlos & Argo the other so called mods don't seem to bother their arse with the site "SlvrDrgn" or whatever he's called pops in here less than Brigadoon makes an appearance, perhaps it time for some new more dedicated mods to help out who can devote more time to the site along with the new server, I vote for for Xdelusion & J_Golden as both these guys are well liked, fair & decent guys that all here would respect along with Karlos & Argo... :)

Offline Franko

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2011, 06:50:58 PM »
Quote from: AmigaHeretic;649847
You're such a -=Moderated=- Franko.  He said no such thing.  All I see is a post about all the work he's done.  Looks like he just took a breather for a minute.  Sometimes we get really deep into something.  Looks like he sees the best decision is not software patches and repairs, but hardware.  

We all need a break sometimes.  

Stop being a -=Moderated=- troll sometimes.

-=Moderated=- I never said anything bad about him -=Moderated=-... :rolleyes:

Gawd... it's -=Moderated=- like you that really need to take a bloody long hard look in a mirror and see what -=Moderated=- you are, -=Moderated=-...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 12:07:03 AM by Argo »

Offline AmigaHeretic

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2011, 06:52:47 PM »
Quote from: Franko;649819

Thought at first it was a sneak attack on me rectum again, so I sharpened up me nipples and put on me little black bra ready to launch and all out tickling dick attack... :madashell:

Luckily I read these posts first and it was a false alarm (stand down , Humprey, Albert, Jimmy and the rest of the SNP (that's Squirrel Ninja Platoon))... :)

Seems everything is fine... phew... ;)

:roflmao:
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline AmigaHeretic

« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2011, 06:55:32 PM »
Quote from: Franko;649849
God I need a life. I'm such a dunderheid, I'm sorry I'm a bad idiot... :rolleyes:

Gawd...I'm a dickhead that really needs to take a bloody long hard look in a mirror and see what an utter bawbags I am, bloody a-hole go bile yer heid...

Offline Franko

« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2011, 06:58:48 PM »
Quote from: AmigaHeretic;649850

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... so they say but in your case it's more of Imitation is just a sad wee nebbit faced jobbie who can't come up with anything original even after rubbing his two brain cells together... :roflmao:

PS: at least your last post proves you do have a slight sense of humour even though you are right wee fandan at times... ;)