Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Site Maintenance and security updates discussion  (Read 8144 times)

Description:

Re: Site Maintenance and security updates discussion
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 26, 2005, 03:34:11 AM »
There is no inclination, desire, or need to drop MySQL, PHP, or anything outside of the poorly designed Xoops 2.x engine.

Wayne

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2005, 03:40:33 AM »
I guess I just don't understand why everyone seems to be confused about the fact that Amiga.org is not simply a forum software, and there's no desire to make it such.

If I had the time or energy to devote to the project, I'd write EXACTLY what we need.  Unfortunately with my currently available resources (none), doing so would be near impossible and unfortunately there aren't enough PHP programmers of note in the Amiga community who're REALLY interested in donating their time/energy to forming a team either.

A site COULD be written that would blow Xoops/Nuke/any other CMS engine away, but no one has the time.   There's also the fact that anything written has to be done in a crippled fashion to accommodate the 10% of Amiga-using visitors left that are stuck with retarded browsers.   That leaves us with freebie Xoops / PHP Nuke clones.  

I'm ALL for moving the current Amiga.org to another domain and starting over if it's really worth the effort (meaning Amiga actually DOES something).  Unfortunately classicamiga.org is already taken.

Wayne

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2005, 03:45:17 AM »
I don't know where this confusion comes from, but there is no interest at all in replacing the FORUM software in Xoops.  Only Xoops itself.

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2005, 09:12:34 AM »
I don't know where this confusion comes from, but there is no interest at all in replacing the FORUM software in Xoops. Only Xoops itself.

Hm. So if you had a CMS that has a newbb (xoops forum) compatible you'd be happy ?

The confusion comes from the fact that a CMS isn't a Forum, but a forum is what most people know and understand and don't realize what a CMS is.

(For comparison www.amiga.org "vs" www.spookychick.com, the first uses a CMS to hold a forum, the later, it seems, is "just a forum")
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2005, 09:14:53 AM »
Unfortunately classicamiga.org is already taken.

I'll admit I'm not entirely at home with domain names, but if you own ***.amiga.org, then anything before .amiga.org is yours as well ? (Notice the first ".")
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2005, 03:34:37 PM »

seer wrote:
Unfortunately classicamiga.org is already taken.

I'll admit I'm not entirely at home with domain names, but if you own ***.amiga.org, then anything before .amiga.org is yours as well ? (Notice the first ".")
I thought about that, but it's not particularly intuitive to people.

Offline metalman

• Show only replies by metalman
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2005, 04:44:42 AM »
==============================================================
If you own ***.amiga.org, then anything before .amiga.org is yours as well ? (Notice the first ".")
==============================================================

Many newspaper sites use "//www.name.com" as the front door, once your there, clicking on a searching link may send you to "//archive2004.name.com", clicking on a forum link will send you to "//forums.name.com" or what ever other subdomains they may use to organize articles, forums, want ads, ect... transparent to the user, who just looks for the links on the "//www.mainpage.com" that send them to whatever subdomain their interested in.
Lan astaslem
The Peacemaker

Offline Gordon

• Show only replies by Gordon
    • http://img233.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=reiasu14ci.jpg&cols=6
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2005, 10:36:11 PM »

ltstanfo wrote:
Everyone,

The security password change has been needed for some time, especially in regards to certain users who claim that their accounts have been hacked. I am glad to see that Wayne is taking action on this item.

With respect to cleaning up the forums database, it has become quite large and really should be optimized. I do tend to agree with others here about some of the forums needing to be maintained for archival purposes (AMIGA related) so I would like to suggest to Wayne that only the Coffee House forums be cleaned up, using the rule he listed.

Regards,
ltstanfo

gosh darn it, it's called CRACKING!!!!!!
look up hacking in the websters unabridged dictionary of the english langauge! :madashell: :madashell: :madashell:

Offline Plaz

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2005, 02:47:49 AM »
forums now cover almost 300 megabytes worth of database space

iz'zat all? Installing XP takes 1.2 gig. 'Course I'm used to wrestling with 120-300gig db's and their not filled with amiga vs morph vs elbox vs hyperion...... that would crash any DB  :-)

Plaz

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2005, 12:24:37 AM »
A disembodied voice from the heavens named Wayne spake ominously:

"We also need to consider pruning forum threads which have not been updated for 365 days."

PLEASE don't delete old threads!  They are a valuable source of technical information!

How would u like it if google "pruned" unpopular old threads?
(Like say, everything from all comp.sys.amiga.* which hardly anyone uses.)

At the very least don't delete anything from programming, games, hardware issues, software issues.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline Mike_Amiga

• Show only replies by Mike_Amiga
    • http://www.mp3.com.au/forefinger
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2005, 02:07:35 PM »
So as long as our e-mail addys are in check, we should recieve new passwords?
AKA ED-209 on IRC...

Offline aardvark

• Show only replies by aardvark
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2005, 07:51:13 AM »
Personally, I agree not to delete amiga specific threads, but I think you should put something like
FAILURE TO MAINTAIN A CURRENT EMAIL ADDRESS WILL RESULT IN YOU GETTING DELETED FROM THE SYSTEM
in very large type, it wasn't until I actually checked _this_ thread that I realized I should actually check my listed email address, which in fact was not current (due to the bankruptcy of that particular ISP). :pissed:

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2005, 09:08:21 AM »
gosh darn it, it's called CRACKING!!!!!!

True, but "hack" isn't a very kindly-sounding word, is it?  ;)

Offline Managarm

• Show only replies by Managarm
    • http://www.freewebs.com/robinslair
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2005, 09:11:20 AM »
I can't help but notice that the March the 31st deadline has passed and yet I seem to have been logged in automatically as usual. Am I missing something here?

Offline alx

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2005, 09:41:31 AM »
@Managarm

Remember that it's not April everywhere yet.  I'm sure that Wayne is being extra careful...

Offline boing

• Show only replies by boing
    • http://www.TribeOfHeart.org
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2005, 09:56:06 AM »
I also am concerned about deleting old postings.  Amiga.org serves an important historical function.