Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apollo 68040 how to properly install it on a 1200 and close the trapdoor ?  (Read 4824 times)

Description:

Offline scuzzb494

Hi

I am assuming we are talking about the 1240 Apollo Turbo, the sister of the 1260.

First up I have Typhoons, GVP Turbos, Blizzard Turbo, Apollo 1230s and Apollo 1260 and not one of my A1200s has the trapdoor fitted. It was the first thing I was advised and that was remove the trapdoor. Just don't move the Amiga.

Second, throw away your original A1200 PSU. They are useless. I learned this the hard way when I tried to fit a simple 3.5" drive that just never worked. I was told then that any expansion to the Amiga of a significant nature requires the better PSU. I use an A500 heavy brick on all my A1200s with accelerators.

The library is the standard 68040 that came with the Workbench disk.

The card must always be run with the fan. Only the 68060 doesn't need the fan as it has the power modulator.

The cards are a pig and I spent an age when I first had the 1260 tracking down an issue with the shielding. I would open the case and she worked. Shut the case and I'm getting the flshing green light. In the end I found a problem with the bottom left of the shielding. It will be the shielding thats an isse and you need to tape the top fo the board and fold or remove the metal cover next to the board.

I have the manual if you don't have it and I can link to my site if you need it. Apollo themselves say dump the PSU and provide the fan and the original 68040 library. Only the 68060 needs to replace the original 68040.

Also my Apollo wouldn't work with my PCMCIA and Squirrel. And  it wasn't size of memory. The Blizzard with 32MB worked just fine.

Also if you have the battery on the 1240 and its the original they leak.

Also I only change maxtransfer with IDE drives cus otherwise file transfers don't work.

Anyway probably got the complete wrong end of the stick and its another card you are talking about. If so sorry for that.

Question: Do you have the CPU command in C and if so does your startup-sequence have the line CPU CACHE ?

With CPU in C you can configure INSTCACHE, NO INSTCACHE, DATACACHE, NODATACACHE, CACHE or NOCACHE. The manual suggests CPU CACHE. This switches both caches on.

Memory: up to 32mb Standard PS/2 SIM modules. Require FastPageMode access time 70ns or less [ 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 ] More detail in the manual.

Jumpers RAM open OFF and closed ON
Jumpers SCSI Autoboot to scsi open OFF and closed ON
There is a jumper also for the 060 if installed. Jumper CLK should be in position 040.

PS I found this on my 1200 that was causing the shielding to short the Apollo. Very odd.

https://www.scuzzscink.com/amiga/scuzzblog_july18_9/car_sbd_040718_45.jpg