Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 1000 (PAL) CIA issues  (Read 353 times)

Description:

Offline SpaceFlightOrangeTopic starter

• Show only replies by SpaceFlightOrange
Amiga 1000 (PAL) CIA issues
« on: May 10, 2024, 12:01:50 AM »
Hi. I recently got my old A1000 back from my friend. This machine was given to me nearly 20 years ago. I have honestly only turned it on once, when i was given it, and i vaguely recal there being an issue of some kind. it pretty much got used as a monitor stand for about 6 years before ending up in the loft until i gave it away about 3 years ago. My friend did nothing with it either and returned it.

It's time to get the old girl working so i pulled it apart and tested the PSU first. Under 1amp load on the 5v rail, all voltages look good and stable and i got a good stable tick. connecting the board brings up the the Kickstart logo, albeit in magenta. something had gone out of spec, but is back now, and it's starting up in the correct colours and the drive is ticking fine. However, when it loads kickstart and resets, it sticks on a white screen. swapping the CIAs, didnt work, it wouldnt startup at all.

I fitted a PiStorm with a plain install, just mapping KS1.3, and again, with the CIA's in the original position, i just get a white screen. Swapping the CIA's iget further, to the 1.3 boot screen, however the floppy doesnt work.

I got it to boot Caffeine but it reports the drive as bad and the mouse doesnt work (well, at least the right button does. I dont have a keyboard to test.

I figure i have at least one faulty CIA. can I replace these with A500 CIA's or are there limitations on the versions it will take?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 12:54:23 AM by SpaceFlightOrange »

Offline Castellen

Re: Amiga 1000 (PAL) CIA issues
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 01:50:42 AM »
The 8520 CIAs from A500, A2000, A3000 are compatible with the A1000.

You could also run a copy of the DiagROM binary on the PiStorm and see what the CIA test reports.
https://www.diagrom.com/index.php/download/

The following users thanked this post: SpaceFlightOrange

Offline SpaceFlightOrangeTopic starter

• Show only replies by SpaceFlightOrange
Re: Amiga 1000 (PAL) CIA issues
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2024, 02:21:29 PM »
The 8520 CIAs from A500, A2000, A3000 are compatible with the A1000.

You could also run a copy of the DiagROM binary on the PiStorm and see what the CIA test reports.
https://www.diagrom.com/index.php/download/

Thanks! That's a brilliant Idea! I honestly never thought of trying diagram with Pistorm.