Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New (?) Mini mac pics  (Read 10540 times)

Description:

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
Re: New (?) Mini mac pics
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2005, 05:49:14 AM »
Wayne:  If Hyperion or the MorphOS guys want to survive, they'd better get on board..

*Quietly seethes*

Wayne:  If you need more than a 9200 video card will offer, you really wouldn't be looking at a $499 mac in the first place.

Yeah, it's designed for day-to-day stuff.  What part of "budget" don't people get?

I still think it's dumb that the machine doesn't come with a keyboard and mouse.  PC keyboards are not identical to Mac keyboards, so most people will probably buy an Apple keyboard, anyway.  I'm sure Apple plans on that.

Heh.  I remember when the official Apple Desktop Mouse and keyboards were $80 each.  :-)

DonnyEMU:   As much as I like the fact that Apple is yet again tempting into the low-end market, my point is there is a certain level of graphics standard that most current even value pc's keep to functionality.  My point is, you can get a much nicer "value" pc at that price..

Yeah, but still not as small.  It's always tough to make a GPU choice, too, as it has to be soldered on the board and offering alternate, more powerful choices is difficult.

Still, Apple is infamous for underpowered graphics and charging WAY too much for GPU upgrades.  I remember when the Geforce3 first came out.  The PC version was just under $300, but Apple was chargine $350 *extra*, which means on top of the built-in graphics that came with the machine (much like how auto manufacturers sell automatic transmissions).  Total cost?  Way too freakin' much.

Wayne is right.  Apple is counting on people buying this and buying more Macs later.  That's the whole principle of proprietary hardware:  don't upgrade... replace the whole damn machine.  That's why I really dispise Macs.  Even the high-end tower computers can't be upgraded much or have the motherboards replaced.

With a trap-door and a PC-Card slot, even the A1200 is more expandable than the iMac.  That's progress.

Wayne:  Why would anyone (other than a system integrator like Tivo) buy a $700 motherboard when they can just buy a mini-mac and put the guts in their own case for $500 (probably much less in qty, or later as the hype settles).

This is the very reason I was mad when the AmigaOne was announced.  People think the only way to sell software is bundled with proprietary hardware, or retail.  Selling pre-built systems using off-the-shelf components is how all low-volume equipment resellers function.  Why can't Amiga do that, too?  The AmigaOne Micro is a real dog compared to this Mac Mini, and not even as small.

DonnyEMU:  The smartest thing they could ever do is just SELL OS/4 to Mac users.. Even mini-mac users..

Why do people keep suggesting this?  Apple wouldn't cooperate in the slightest.  Linux gets a chance because Apple would reap hell for stifling open-source developers (on which even Apple depends), but commercial companies like Amiga would be in for trouble.  Forget it.

HopperJF:  If that is the price of hope for a more diverse computer industry then it is ok with me for I am sick of it being nearly 100% x86/Windows.

Do you believe the reason why that is so is because of Microsoft's anti-monopolization tactics, or the fact practically the whole industry is too stupid to make something better than Windows and MacOS?  Given that Linux runs more than half the Internet but has less than 1% desktop share, I vote for that latter.

minator:  You can probably get a faster PC if you build it yourself but other big brands just offer Celerons sometimes at *higher* prices. Some of the PCs I looked at were actually lower specced.

Thank you.  What people fail to remember about cheap PCs is that you build them yourself.  You don't get the convenience of a prebuilt machine, a warantee, an OS, a software bundle, tech support, etc.

I build machines myself and think that's the best way to go, so Macs are not for me.  But for a pre-built system that someone isn't going to upgrade every year, Apple is getting much better and more competitive than they used to be.

I still wish they were more upgradable, though.  iMacs should come with at LEAST one expansion slot.

minator:  The PCs had graphics so exciting they completely failed to list them (i.e. probably built-in Intel stuff which make even low end ATI or Nvidia kit look like stellar performers).

That annoys you too, huh?  They never tell you what chipset the machine uses, or what graphics card.  "ATI 32 Megabyte" is not exactly a good indicator, other than it probably sucks.

minator:  What I find quite amazing is that this machine is priced *below* what the A500 was at at the height of it's popularity.

True, but the Amiga came with a keyboard and mouse, and didn't need a seperate box to plug into a TV.  I tried to get a price for the TV box, but Apple didn't have it listed in the store.  :-)

DonnyEMU:  PS And you don't think people will use it for games?

To be perfectly honest, I expect people will spend a lot of time playing on the web with Flash and Java games.  I repair other peoples' computers on a regular basis, and very, very few people actually have any serious 3D games on their machines -- they have lots of IE plugins, weather tickers, and other little bits of junk, instead.  Weird.

dslcc:  What are the advantages of AOS/4 over OSX? Why would a mac user want that?

Good point.  People buy Macs to run MacOS.  So much for the "BeOS died because Microsoft controls the bootloader" theory.

Ilwrath:  It's still a small non-expandable motherboard wedged into a case that looks like it may be a ventilation nightmare

Yeah, just like all the PlayStations with choppy video problems.  The PPC is cool but not THAT cool.  I recall Apple had huge problems with Cubes overheating because the hard drive was too close to the CPU/GPU or something.  Even a 1000 RPM fan would be completely silent.

Floid:  Don't forget, that's before the student discount.

Well, lots of companies offer K12 discounts, too.

Offline Desolator

• Show only replies by Desolator
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2005, 07:05:01 AM »
Something you could set the record straight for me on is just how much RAM does OS X like to have so the OS isn't paging to the hard drive all of the time..

256MB. But that's with the whole whazzam of the Quartz graphics engine on the desktop. Still it's not slow and multitasking works just great. A little application can turn of all the eyecandy (like the shadows etc) and then you are down on memory usage under 100MB.

But different to lets say a Windows machine, adding memory to a mac actually speed things up drastically. I could barely run UnrealTournament 2004, Neverwinter nights (with all expansions) and Warcraft III on my iBook G4/800, but after plunking in a stick of 512MB RAM all of those games are VERY playable. And all are run on a 800MHz processor and one "crappy" 9200 card with 32MB RAM.

What you fail to see is that OS X doesn't do things the way Windows does, and thus can run 3D games at lower specced hardware, and ofcourse on PPC.
So don't be so quick to bash the hardware, don't underestimate what these machines can do before you've tried them out thoroughly yourself.
// Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.
// Ph.D in Amiga future optimism.

Offline 1337DOG

• Show only replies by 1337DOG
Re: Warrantee/Adding RAM
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2005, 08:20:31 AM »
Just to clear something up about the Warrantee question:

I called Apple today. I talked to a manager and he says Apple's "official position" with memory installation with the Mini is if you break the computer while installing the memory you aren't warrantee covered, but just putting memory in will not, in itself, void the warrantee. Also any authorized service provider or Apple Store could install your 3rd party RAM for you for a price.

How about a Beowulf cluster of these little babies. :-)

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2005, 08:22:43 AM »
I could see one of these in the living room as part of the entertainment center. When I first looked at this my thought was "This should be an Amiga".
To me the Mac is becoming more and more what I think the Amiga would be like if Commodore hadn't gone under due to the management.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2005, 08:31:38 AM »

Argo wrote:
I could see one of these in the living room as part of the entertainment center. When I first looked at this my thought was "This should be an Amiga".
To me the Mac is becoming more and more what I think the Amiga would be like if Commodore hadn't gone under due to the management.

You know what... if the MAC Mini was based on an Athlon64 (but everything else the same), I would have an order in today.

I agree, this is what the Amiga needed to become, but it needed to do it 6 years ago....

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2005, 09:22:26 AM »
But different to lets say a Windows machine, adding memory to a mac actually speed things up drastically. I could barely run UnrealTournament 2004, Neverwinter nights (with all expansions) and Warcraft III on my iBook G4/800, but after plunking in a stick of 512MB RAM all of those games are VERY playable. And all are run on a 800MHz processor and one "crappy" 9200 card with 32MB RAM.

The games mentioned don’t quite stress the modern DX9 PC systems e.g. UT2003's boxed requirements 733Mhz Athlon or 1Ghz Pentium III, 32MB Video Card and 256MB of RAM.  My down clocked A64 @800Mhz (via forced PowerNow) plays those games pretty well (when not searching for crazy FPS and resolutions). They are hardly the next generation DX9c class games.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Desolator

• Show only replies by Desolator
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2005, 09:48:23 AM »
The games mentioned don’t quite stress the modern DX9 PC systems e.g. UT2003's boxed requirements 733Mhz Athlon or 1Ghz Pentium III, 32MB Video Card and 256MB of RAM. My down clocked A64 @800Mhz (via forced PowerNow) plays those games pretty well (when not searching for crazy FPS and resolutions). They are hardly the next generation DX9c class games.

True, but then again the macintosh isn't really a gaming machine. It won't run games like FarCry but still it runs most mainstream games good enough.
// Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.
// Ph.D in Amiga future optimism.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2005, 09:50:26 AM »

minator wrote:
My point is, you can get a much nicer "value" pc at that price.

You can probably get a faster PC if you build it yourself but other big brands just offer Celerons sometimes at *higher* prices.  Some of the PCs I looked at were actually lower specced.

Note that HP and Lenovo offers AMD Sempr0n based systems
(renamed K7 Athlon XP T-bred/Thornton core or K8 Paris cores) at $~499 USD price target.

Includes(for AMD HP box);
AMD Sempron(TM) 3000+ operating at 2.0GHz
9 in 1 Card Reader, 3 USB, + Front Audio Ports.
3.5 in. 1.44MB Floppy Drive
64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce FX 5100, TV-Out
Keyboard & Scroller Mouse  
Microsoft(R) Works 7.0/Money 2004/MSN Encarta Plus

I recall AMD’s based PC market share is totally kills Apple’s PC share.  

The PCs had graphics so exciting they completely failed to list them (i.e. probably built-in Intel stuff which make even low end ATI or Nvidia kit look like stellar performers).

Note the NVIDIA Geforce FX 5100 with the HP box.  

Offline Hammer

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2005, 09:58:45 AM »
True, but then again the macintosh isn't really a gaming machine. It won't run games like FarCry but still it runs most mainstream games good enough.

Note, FarCry is a mainstream game i.e. sales chart breaker.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2005, 10:06:54 AM »

bloodline wrote:

Argo wrote:

You know what... if the MAC Mini was based on an Athlon64 (but everything else the same), I would have an order in today.

It would be a waste if a desktop capable CPU family is just thrown into the embedded markets due to the incompetence of its stake holders.

Price sensitive PearPC audience may actually like Apple mini-Mac...

Offline Hammer

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2005, 10:13:46 AM »

Acill wrote:
All of you bashing this as low end and the video not being up to speed need to keep in mind that its not meant to be a game machine, its a entry level, low cost Mac intended for users that want to move music to and from the ipod, surf the net, send email and work on some basic things. It can do some nice games. I have a slower iBook with the same 9200 chip in it. Its got 1.25GB of RAM sure, but I can run Unreal 2004 on it just fine. This will be a great machine for those wanting to try a Mac at a low price entry point.

Video with Steve Jobs showing the new Mac mni HERE

One could repackage it as iBOX... ;)

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2005, 10:36:35 AM »

Hammer wrote:

Acill wrote:
All of you bashing this as low end and the video not being up to speed need to keep in mind that its not meant to be a game machine, its a entry level, low cost Mac intended for users that want to move music to and from the ipod, surf the net, send email and work on some basic things. It can do some nice games. I have a slower iBook with the same 9200 chip in it. Its got 1.25GB of RAM sure, but I can run Unreal 2004 on it just fine. This will be a great machine for those wanting to try a Mac at a low price entry point.

Video with Steve Jobs showing the new Mac mni HERE

One could repackage it as iBOX... ;)

:lol:

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2005, 10:43:04 AM »
Hammer:  The games mentioned don’t quite stress the modern DX9 PC systems e.g. UT2003's boxed requirements 733Mhz Athlon or 1Ghz Pentium III, 32MB Video Card and 256MB of RAM. My down clocked A64 @800Mhz (via forced PowerNow) plays those games pretty well (when not searching for crazy FPS and resolutions). They are hardly the next generation DX9c class games.

The point to a good 3D engine is to make it versitile.  I've yet to come across ANY game that runs poorly on a GeForce3 -- with all the detail turned off.  It's not a matter of framerates, or at least it shouldn't be.  It's a matter of how good you want it to look.

I get annoyed when people talk about graphics.  3DMark 2004 gives me about 5 FPS on my Radeon 9800 Pro, which is still a damned fast card, and I don't think that demo looks anywhere near good enough to be getting framerates like that.  That shows the enormous inflexibility of their 3D engine in favor of detail.  "Real" engines, like the one in Doom3, are perfectly happy running on four-year-old hardware at full speed.  The game logic accounts for only a fraction of the total power needed to run the game, so any graphics card will work.

And, no, Mac Mini people will not expect to run Doom3.  Although if they do, it will still work fine.  :-)

Hammer:  One could repackage it as iBOX... ;)

Just as a side note, I think it's interesting that the Mini uses a flat memory model for its graphics, just like the XBOX.

...or did I hear that wrong?

Offline Hammer

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2005, 11:27:12 AM »

Waccoon wrote:
Hammer:  The games mentioned don’t quite stress the modern DX9 PC systems e.g. UT2003's boxed requirements 733Mhz Athlon or 1Ghz Pentium III, 32MB Video Card and 256MB of RAM. My down clocked A64 @800Mhz (via forced PowerNow) plays those games pretty well (when not searching for crazy FPS and resolutions). They are hardly the next generation DX9c class games.

The point to a good 3D engine is to make it versitile.  I've yet to come across ANY game that runs poorly on a GeForce3 -- with all the detail turned off.  It's not a matter of framerates, or at least it shouldn't be.  It's a matter of how good you want it to look.

I get annoyed when people talk about graphics.  3DMark 2004 gives me about 5 FPS on my Radeon 9800 Pro, which is still a damned fast card, and I don't think that demo looks anywhere near good enough to be getting framerates like that.  That shows the enormous inflexibility of their 3D engine in favor of detail.  "Real" engines, like the one in Doom3, are perfectly happy running on four-year-old hardware at full speed.  The game logic accounts for only a fraction of the total power needed to run the game, so any graphics card will work.

And, no, Mac Mini people will not expect to run Doom3.  Although if they do, it will still work fine.  :-)

The strength ID’s DOOM3 licensing activities illustrates the inclination for 'effective' 3D engine for game content providers.

Hammer:  One could repackage it as iBOX... ;)

Just as a side note, I think it's interesting that the Mini uses a flat memory model for its graphics, just like the XBOX.

...or did I hear that wrong?
[/quote]
Well, Apple did state ATI Radeon 9200. As you may already know; MS's XBOX is dual memory channels based NB i.e. P6's ~1GB consumption is shared within NV2A (basically nForce IGP)’s ~6.4GB bandwidth. NV2A IGP has two Vertex Shaders i.e. just like Geforce 4 TI but clocked lower @250Mhz.

It would be nice IF the mini-Mac has a GameCube sandbox virtual machine (non-standard CD not factored).

Offline minator

• Show only replies by minator
    • http://www.blachford.info
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2005, 12:41:41 PM »
Mini ITX motherboard,
Mac Mini motherboard..
Nearly the same dimensions nearly the same cpu speed, one intel one G4.

Not quite, the VIA CPUs are very weak compared to, well, everything.  At the same clock speed the G4 will kick it's ass.

--

Something you could set the record straight for me on is just how much RAM does OS X like to have so the OS isn't paging to the hard drive all of the time..

256MB should do fine providing you're not into heavy multi tasking.
My machine is currently using 309MB and thats running Safari (8 tabs open), iTunes, mail, SETI, 2 finder windows, Activity monitor & a desktop pager.

OS X is not Windows XP...

--

Cheap HP machines:

I compared prices at an online shop and some of the machines were HP - complete with Celerons.

Levono had a Celeron with 256MB, XP Pro, CD-ROM (not DVD) and "Intel graphics" for £20 more.

I wonder if some companies have suddenly put some machines on offer because they know people will be comparing prices?

Offline Hammer

« Reply #59 from previous page: January 12, 2005, 08:31:33 PM »
I compared prices at an online shop and some of the machines were HP - complete with Celerons.

Refer to
1. HP's Compaq Presario SR1000Z series for AMD based systems (www.shopping.hp.com).
2. http://www.itfacts.biz/index.php?id=P1534

AMD already out sells Intel in certain PC desktops segments.

I wonder if some companies have suddenly put some machines on offer because they know people will be comparing prices?

HP’s Compaq Presario SR1000Z have been already been selling for awhile now i.e. before Apple's Mini-Mac.