Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: About Schmidt -- very depressing  (Read 2014 times)

Description:

About Schmidt -- very depressing
« on: March 04, 2004, 06:26:52 PM »
Hi Guys,

I know that most of you would have seen this movie last year -- if at all -- but it just came on Showtime.  I Tivo'd "About Schmidt" (Jack Nicholson, Kathy Bates) after hearing all the reviews about it being a "light hearted romp".

All I can say is that this movie is absolutely, positively depressing from beginning to end.

Has anyone else seen it?  Am I just wrong?

Offline JaXanim

• Show only replies by JaXanim
    • http://www.intuitionbase.com/waveguide/home.html
Re: About Schmidt -- very depressing
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 10:21:43 PM »
I haven't seen it and tho' Jack Nicholson is the most watchable actor around, I probably won't bother with this one, especially following your 'review'!

Cheers,

JaX

Latest: Nicholson's 'About Schmidt' bombs on the pc, thanks to the Wayne Review. 'What's this AmigaOrg setup? Who's this Wayne character anyway?' Nicholson asks. Get my attournies here now, right now!'
Be inspired! It\\\'s back!

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2004, 02:47:16 AM »
Jax,

Well, to sum up, it's about a 66 year old who is forcefully retired from a job he loved, then within a few months loses his wife to a brain hemorrage, finds out she was cheating on him all along, then goes on walkabout in a motor home to see his little girl marry into this complete back-ass redneck family from hell (including a non-sensical nude scene with Kathy Bates).  There was nothing uplifting or more than moderately humorous about this movie whatsoever, except for the occassional guffaw.

... and I normally like most Jack Nicholson movies.  That werewolf one being the exception.  I will give the actors credit, they did a good job with their parts, the movie just blew.

.... Then again, I'm probably the only person on the planet who thought that The Last Samurai was a better movie than the last 4 HOUR+ Lords of the Rings sleeper.

Wayne

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2004, 11:41:39 AM »

Wayne wrote:

.... Then again, I'm probably the only person on the planet who thought that The Last Samurai was a better movie than the last 4 HOUR+ Lords of the Rings sleeper.
Wayne

Hmm, you woke an hour after LotR 3 ended alone in the cinema wondering where everyone went? IIRC it was 3 hours and a bit :-).

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 01:42:16 PM »
Hmm, you woke an hour after LotR 3 ended alone in the cinema wondering where everyone went? IIRC it was 3 hours and a bit

Time moves in mysterious ways while you're asleep.  Actually I didn't sleep, but I simply felt like I'd gotten 4 hours sleep by the end of the movie.  Honestly?  LoTR 3 was a good movie, but definitely not worth all the hype, and in my opinion -- much like Star Wars "chapter 6" -- was the worst of the trilogy of movies.  I believe it was given 11 Oscars simply as a tribute to the 7 years spent making all three films, and judged as a whole trilogy.

Had LoTR 3 been chopped into two movies with the cut scenes back in, I'm sure I'd have liked it much better.

On the other hand, I really ENJOYED The Last Samurai, which we had seen the night before (because LoTR was sold out)

Offline Calen

• Show only replies by Calen
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2004, 01:36:46 PM »
Jack is great, i don't think i have seen that film though, latest i have seen of his is "Something's Gotta Give" funny movie :)

As for LOTR, never was a big fan but enjoyed the 3rd, Last Samurai was also a cracking movie.

Compared to the crap heap of films i have seen recently, Eg: Torgue, pathetic! very poor mans Fast and the furious and even then that wasnt a really great film either.
Last nite i feel asleep watching this hmm :insane: :-)

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2004, 04:24:55 PM »
Compared to the crap heap of films i have seen recently, Eg: Torgue, pathetic! very poor mans Fast and the furious

The trailer for Torque was collectively rejected by the entire audience in a theater I was in. A great moment in moviegoing history. ;-)

Re: About Schmidt
EXTREMELY depressing, but it's really a great drama. And it has its funny moments.