Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: flight sims fans, give your opinion !  (Read 3119 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: flight sims fans, give your opinion !
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2003, 09:08:30 PM »

Nick wrote:
Hehe I forgot TFX. Good graphics yeah. Best on the Amiga, by far. VERY buggy. The F117 in that game could do some strange things at times. :-) TFX was quite simple though. I mean, I landed the F22 on an aircraft carrier (which by the way is not possible, as the F22 is land based :-)) on my first attempt. Correct me if I`m wrong, but thats no much of a challenge! I`ve got Approach Trainer, which is basically A320. Doesn`t work on any of my system for some reason. Well when it works I have to press fire on my joypad to make it advance each frame. WEIRD! I always wanted that game! Looks good. For back then at least.

I want a complicated flightsim. Doesn`t have to be modern jets. I`d love a really good WWII or 60/70s jet, flightsim. Saying that a modern day jet/helicopter one would be just as good. WWI is too simple, unless the planes are as challanging to fly as the real things. If there is no challange to a flightsim it really isn`t much of a simulation. Thats why Jetpilot is probably the best flightsim on the Amiga, even if there isn`t much game to play. The actual flying is the most realistic.

I started writing an Avro Vulcan B2 Flight sim... but never finnished it... it got too complex  :-(

Offline commodore_jim

• Show only replies by commodore_jim
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2003, 09:24:22 PM »
Wow. I can't believe hardly anyone has mentioned F-18 Interceptor. I know it's old and doesn't quite match later flight sims for features/depth/technical prowess, but it was so damn playable!

And the first time I went outside the plane and flew under the Golden Gate Bridge was one of those "I'm really glad I bought an Amiga" moments.

Offline Nick

• Show only replies by Nick
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2003, 09:32:40 PM »
F/A-18 was the first flightsim I ever saw....I think. It was on my next door nieghbour`s A500. I borrowed it, but could only get it to work once :-(. I seem to remember it had a cardbord thing, for copy protection and it only worked once for me. Looked quite good, from what I saw (if it was F18 that is).

Somebody mentioned Bird of prey. I had that years ago on my A500+. "Good in theory", describes that game. Pretty damn turd. Loads of planes to choose from and pretty good weapons selection too. Bad control system though. Never managed to do that much in that game.

Offline AntonioX

• Show only replies by AntonioX
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2003, 09:34:30 PM »
Looks like we might be needing a top 10 best Amiga Flight sims  :-D  :-D

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2003, 09:44:54 PM »

AntonioX wrote:
Looks like we might be needing a top 10 best Amiga Flight sims  :-D  :-D

Biplanes is going to be number one... I defy any one to not love it!!! :lol:

Down load it for your miggy here Clickity click

Offline Damion

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2003, 10:25:35 PM »
Depends...if you want a realistic flight sim,
Jet Pilot is the absolute best...it destroys
TFX in terms of realistic flight modeling...I
still play it often, in fact. It's a shame
Vulcan never released the update pack for
it.

@Bloodline

I'll check out Biplanes...the style looks a
bit like Wings of Fury, one of my old time
favorites. :)

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2003, 12:09:35 AM »
@ nomore
Birds of prey was that game. 40 planes to fly.
still one of my fav's, played all the time

Chris

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2003, 02:07:37 AM »
Well, he did ask for "old" flight sims, so I'd have to say Battlehawks 1942 from Lucasarts.  Wow, what a great game.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2003, 03:38:38 AM »
Man... I gotta side with Prmetime...  Fighter Duel Pro.

Play it over the null-modem link.  Great game.  Good graphics, fast framerate, pretty good handling on the planes, good control....  What more is there to want.

My gripe with so many of the Amiga flight games was the framerate....  They'd play too slow on an A500, and then crash on a faster machine.  :-(  

Offline ottomobiehl

• Show only replies by ottomobiehl
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2003, 05:03:37 AM »
Battle of Britian: There Finest Hour, which was by Lucasarts (or was it LucasFilm Games).  Loved the game and it seemed to consume many hours of my time. :-D

Offline Cerpheus

• Show only replies by Cerpheus
    • http://www.facesofmars.tk
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2003, 06:32:41 AM »
If you like civil planes, there is still the Airbus A320 Vol.2. This simulation is still available on cd-rom, incl. all manuals.

Faces of Mars
Always believe in the Faces of Mars. http://www.facesofmars.tk

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2003, 01:05:24 PM »
The bes flight sim I've played was F-19, but I assume that the planes ain't old enough... :-)
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline Zidz

• Show only replies by Zidz
    • http://www.linux-solutions.se
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2003, 02:30:13 PM »
The best flight sim is F/A-18!

Offline Loki1

• Show only replies by Loki1
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2003, 02:48:58 PM »
I vote for F/A-18 as #1

Falcon as #2

Loki
Amiga - Resistance was Futile! :-(

Offline Jope

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2003, 04:08:05 PM »

Glorix wrote:
I quite fondly remember a game, not really a flight sim, in which you flew wire-framed planes (amongst which a paper plane). It was one-windowed multiplayer, and you could dogfight the others with various weapons amongst which a boing-ball :-)

Skychase.. I still have it as an one-file version on the HD of my Amigas. It's a pity that it doesn't work on much more than an 1.3 OCS machine. :-(

Offline FuZion

• Show only replies by FuZion
    • http://www.deceptiveaudio.co.uk
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 01, 2003, 08:37:46 PM »
I'd have to say I have 3 faves (In alphabetical order):

- Birds of Prey, offers plenty of aircraft, places to fly & is stunning on an 060 with it's light shading (I hadn't seen this before on an Amiga), day time, night time, balls for undercarridge ;-) Never liked the cockpit view, too much dashboard & not enough sky view & shame it didn't have a shadow for the aircraft.

- F/A-18 Interceptor, literally THE pick up & play flight sim, fast smooth, simple, addictive. I only wish Jet Fighter 2 (The almost follow up) had been converted to the Amiga. Never done the Sub mission but still loved it. Even flying up to the "roof" :-D

- TFX, gorgeous looking with it's colours, shades, vapour trails & flying up into & down out of the clouds feels strangley satisfying. Quite smooth on a low-mid GFX quality setting with my 060 & plays just how I like my sims. Love it using a mouse & the free look camera in the cockpit... Is ANYONE out there able to create a WHD installer for this, stablising it a touch & maybe smoothing out the frame rate as it was kinda not quite finished & probably contains a messy routine? But who am I to know?) I know there's some clever bods out there. I found a so called update for this but it wasn't any safer to use than the CUAmiga release.

To me at least, these 3 actually play quite similar, they all have that kinda pick up & play feel, even BOP in a fashion.

I miss fun sims...