Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pentti Kouri has passed away today  (Read 5191 times)

Description:

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
Re: Pentti Kouri has passed away today
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 23, 2009, 07:31:30 AM »

Jope wrote:
Well.. Shady dealing. Lots of coverage in the press when he did his infamous "Kouri deals" in Finland back in the 80s.

Might be hard to be too sympathetic.

Speaking of shady deals, was he the one responsible for offering $10Million for an Amiga-named sport stadium, then backing out?

Offline ffastback

• Show only replies by ffastback
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2009, 04:02:55 PM »

orb85750 wrote:

Speaking of shady deals, was he the one responsible for offering $10Million for an Amiga-named sport stadium, then backing out?

Since Bill was claiming at the time to be acting President in addition to his role as VP and Pentti is believed to have been Chairman it would stand to reason he had approved the deal in some form.  Later it was said that some investor traveling in Europe was unreachable (or at least not easily reachable) that they needed to get approval from late in the game near the deal deadline.  But some of the speculation I think was more that that might have been Ryszard Krauze than Pentti as Ryzsard was I believe having some legal issues back in Poland around that time (which have since been resolved).

Here are a couple of links:
"Shady Amiga company: naming rights for Kent event center"
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/kent-wa/T6TE3BB2QIOPAK8OT

"The Kent Events Center - Just the facts"
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=22928&forum=16#469237

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2009, 05:57:41 PM »
:-( My heart-felt condolences to Mr. Kouri's family.  That's too young an age to pass on.

-And it is shameful and disappointing, though not surprising, that Amiga, Inc.'s detractors have taken this as an opportunity to bash Bill McEwen and those who believed in him.

I'd venture to opine that Mr. Kouri was far from misguided by Bill McEwen regarding Amiga, Inc. and their plans and situation.  To the contrary, I'd say he knew more about such things than what has been shared on Internet message boards.

Offline orb85750

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2009, 07:59:47 PM »

Quixote wrote:
:-( My heart-felt condolences to Mr. Kouri's family.  That's too young an age to pass on.

-And it is shameful and disappointing, though not surprising, that Amiga, Inc.'s detractors have taken this as an opportunity to bash Bill McEwen and those who believed in him.

I'd venture to opine that Mr. Kouri was far from misguided by Bill McEwen regarding Amiga, Inc. and their plans and situation.  To the contrary, I'd say he knew more about such things than what has been shared on Internet message boards.

This is an Amiga message board.  I don't think that anyone is mocking Kouri or his family.  Rather, this board is a venue for gaining a better understanding of all aspect of Amiga -- past, present, & future -- the good and the bad.

Using your words, "shameful and disappointing,"  I think they may be more applicable toward describing AI's procurement of a once cutting edge trademark and using it to market tip calculators for Windows mobile devices.

Offline ffastback

• Show only replies by ffastback
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2009, 09:45:57 PM »

orb85750 wrote:

@Quixote

This is an Amiga message board.  I don't think that anyone is mocking Kouri or his family.  Rather, this board is a venue for gaining a better understanding of all aspect of Amiga -- past, present, & future -- the good and the bad.

Using your words, "shameful and disappointing,"  I think they may be more applicable toward describing AI's procurement of a once cutting edge trademark and using it to market tip calculators for Windows mobile devices.

Well said!   :-)

Offline tone007

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2009, 09:50:57 PM »

He looked like a fat rich {bleep} who probably ate too much bacon, pâté and caviar, did too much cocaine and gave himself a heart attack.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline orb85750

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2009, 03:04:56 AM »

tone007 wrote:

He looked like a fat rich {bleep} who probably ate too much bacon, pâté and caviar, did too much cocaine and gave himself a heart attack.

C'mon, that's not cool.  This guy just passed away.  How would you feel if a family member of his read your post?  Plus, you have just voided my earlier comment about nobody on this board mocking him.  

Offline amiga4ever

• Show only replies by amiga4ever
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2009, 03:35:59 AM »
it is a life. i may be old fashioned but I tend to respect it. he was just a business man, good or bad. RIP, and especially condolences to his family.

Offline da9000

• Show only replies by da9000
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2009, 04:46:07 AM »
@orb85750:

Well said!

@Quixote:

Very appropriate nickname, based on your comments... :-) Still "tilting at windmills", I guess, huh?

So, anyone know more about this guy's involvement with the Amiga? There's certainly little logic in investing in Amiga anything when there were so many better investments to be made. What drove this guy to the Amiga grounds? Was he once a user? Or did he simply know Bill McEwen?

Offline Bamiga2002

• Show only replies by Bamiga2002
    • http://rutinskiband.net
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2009, 06:23:50 AM »
DiscreetFX to rescue! They made an offer to AInc earlier, so now could be that time again :)
CD32
A500

Offline da9000

• Show only replies by da9000
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2009, 06:35:06 AM »
That would be excellent news! Discreet's Bill is cool, unlike the other Bill.

Offline asian1

• Show only replies by asian1
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2009, 03:52:20 AM »
> Reviving Amiga

It will be very difficult to revive Amiga in present economic crisis.
Perhaps in 2011 or later, people will start to buy Computers and gadgets again. Many tech companies will not survive the global economic crisis, including NORTEL (Canada). Some analyst predicted other tech companies may not survive such as AMD, Palm, Sun, Freescale etc.

The Japanese IC companies also had financial problems:

http://email.semiconductor.net/cgi-bin2/DM/y/hA0Ej8Af0Xjk0DqTP0Ey&rid=1608828953

What happen to Amiga OS if the suppliers of PowerPC CPU are bankrupt / stop its productions?