Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Macworld: Turn your G4-era Mac into a next-gen Amiga  (Read 17073 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: Macworld: Turn your G4-era Mac into a next-gen Amiga
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 21, 2014, 06:28:58 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;767262
Ya... it sucks, they should have went with the Deskmate look instead.

im also not so sure why does the morphos screenshot get so much flak. but then its a little a question of fashion, and when it comes to fashion its easy (and cruel) to fall behind. at least excessive use of gradients isnt probably what is considered up to date, and i must say win8 with its lack of all that questionable eye candy has met my approval.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2014, 06:39:09 PM »
Personally I think MorphOS is the most beautiful OS I have ever laid eyes upon. Next to it I always liked the look (and behavoir, most certainly the behavior) of BeOS/Haiku.

Windows 8 actually reminds me of DeskMate ironically enough, but with more color and sharper images.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2014, 06:58:01 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;767264
probably not. and im not saying morphos is in vain or should now reconsider the course. still reding the comments directed towards morphos i accidentaly kind of got reassured that anything closer aligned with the genuine system (be it some new software or fpga hardware) would probably gain a warmer welcome, less bait and less doubt.

What you mean is some kind of Amiga 3200. 68k compatible, OCS/AGA compatible system with modernized operating system.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2014, 07:01:12 PM »
Quote from: itix;767270
What you mean is some kind of Amiga 3200. 68k compatible, OCS/AGA compatible system with modernized operating system.

sort of.. ;) i must admit i just started to work on aro68k 8 color planar icon theme bound to magicwb palette. and i enjoy the limitations!

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2014, 07:07:36 PM »
I always felt that having something like Puh Der Baer or Nalle Puh for MorphOS would have gone a long way. Mind you I was told about a month ago by one of the developers (I forget which one) that he planned on starting work on it just as soon as he finished his other pile of work.  He said it shouldn't be too hard.

On the one hand, we still lage ECS/AGA compatability, but for the most part, many of our desktop apps work, all except those needing Paula, which again is where Nalle Puh would come in. Like with Amithlon, all audio would go through AHI, thus leaving us with an even better Amiga clone...

...though I wonder why this wasn't done in the VERY beginning, seeing as MorphOS was supposed to be the future of Amiga OS/Work Bench back in the day.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2014, 08:24:10 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;767258
3. in comparison to genuine amiga its better to get  the real thing
and so on..

it looks like in the outside world no ng solution can beat the genuine amiga till this day, no matter how much you would argue with people. vox populi vox dei. guess, it is some food for thought, especially for those who want to reach the wider audience with their solution of choice.

Well, some people don't get it.
But "better to get the real thing"?
Only if games are your focus.

I use a MorphOS system every day and rarely fire up my real Amiga.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;767275
Well, some people don't get it.
But "better to get the real thing"?
Only if games are your focus.

I use a MorphOS system every day and rarely fire up my real Amiga.

Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2014, 09:36:58 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;767276
Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Right! A real camp classic. I was waiting for someone to recognize that.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2014, 10:13:35 PM »
I think most ppl have the wrong perspective of what MorphOS is. Their thinking is too much trapped in benchmarks and higher, better, #?.
No, MorphOS is just an alternative offer. It doesn't need to be better for all. It's not there to conquer Windows or OS X. It's an alternative. It does things different. And you can actuylly use it productively. Some ppl really like that approach (e.g. me), most ppl probably not. Fine with that. But I guess more ppl _could_ get the appeal of MorphOS if they only knew about it or - even better - actually tried it out.  If only 0.001% (1 in 100.000) instead of current 0.0001% (1 in a million) of all computers would run MorphOS (given there are about 2*10^9 computers out there) it would be a great success.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2014, 10:36:33 PM »
remembering that it was piru who posted benchmarks a lot i would assume being interested in benchmarks also apply to morphos people, at least as long as benchmarks suit the purpose.

still im not talking about benchmarks here, just about the reaction and the expectations of wider audience. thanks to the articles in question morphos is currently experiencing some for amiga-like systems considerable and exceptional media coverage. i think it is worth to take the oportunity and validate the feedback, and take it seriously, because however misleading and uninformed the articles themselves may be, this is what might be potential target audience and this might be indications where the yet open opportunities are. if not for morphos then maybe for others.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2014, 10:56:49 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;767280
Right! A real camp classic. I was waiting for someone to recognize that.

I don't imagine a movie as great as that will ever hit theaters again. :/

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2014, 12:30:59 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;767285
remembering that it was piru who posted benchmarks a lot i would assume being interested in benchmarks also apply to morphos people, at least as long as benchmarks suit the purpose.

Indeed (kind of). Benchmarks usually carry some (intended or uninteded) agenda.
but they can be helpful though. It's nice to get some basic numbers and to see what a system actually does. It's cool that MorphOS can replay hd videos on hardware where OS X struggles on them. But then again, computing is not only watching videos and an i7 is way, way faster anyway. But a benchmark can reveal a few things.

The only way to get a real impression though it to actually use and test the system. Dunno why exactly, but I just feel home on MorphOS (probably it's because I am used to it). That feeling compensates for other shortcomings.

For example one of the things I especially like about MorphOS (AOS, AROS) is the default window management/behaviour. Particularly that active windows don't jump to front automatically but only on a double click (default on MorphOS, click2front on 68k). For me it makes the workflow pretty different and more controlable.

IMHO things like that make the difference to other mainstream OSes. Having Mplayer or a good browser are no pro arguments, but neccessarities (unfortunately a few neccessarities are still lacking).

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2014, 08:25:33 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;767285

still im not talking about benchmarks here, just about the reaction and the expectations of wider audience. thanks to the articles in question morphos is currently experiencing some for amiga-like systems considerable and exceptional media coverage. i think it is worth to take the oportunity and validate the feedback, and take it seriously, because however misleading and uninformed the articles themselves may be, this is what might be potential target audience and this might be indications where the yet open opportunities are. if not for morphos then maybe for others.

Any new opportunities to expand the awareness of Amiga & NG systems is always a good thing and should be taken advantage of in any way possible.  Most MorphOS users and Developers have refrained from promoting MorphOS to the Mac community in past years, because they realized that there were still too many things missing, or too many applications that were too far behind the Mac alternatives.  They did not want too much negative publicity, even though some people think that any publicity is better than nothing.

I think the progress on the OWB/Odyssey web browser over the last year or two has been one of the most important improvements in changing some users minds about promoting MorphOS to owners of old PPC Mac models.

As for Piru's benchmarks, most of the time I saw them presented as rebuttals to other people posting inaccurate information or claims about MorphOS, specially when comparing it to other platforms.  But then my perception of Piru's posts are most likely skewed by my preference for using MorphOS as my favorite AmigaNG platform (even though I also own, use and like my X1000 running AmigaOS4.1.6).:)
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)