Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two New Full Systems Based on Sam440ep-Flex  (Read 11585 times)

Description:

Offline spirantho

Re: Two New Full Systems Based on Sam440ep-Flex
« Reply #14 from previous page: September 29, 2012, 07:28:04 AM »
What happened when you played the same video on a similar specced PC using the same software?
You really can't compare open source software on an 800MHZ machine against a dedicated h264 hardware decoder (which phones have).

Decoding modern video compression is a MUCH harder process than people realise, you just don't notice because PCs have so much CPU speed and phones have dedicated hardware.

If your friend bought a Sam expecting it to run videos he would have been disappointed with an 800Mhz anything.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline spirantho

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 01:50:39 PM »
Yes, and it's all true. It has to be if it's on the internet. The internet does not lie.
--
Ian Gledhill
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline spirantho

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 06:36:07 PM »
I don't think the problem is actually as bad as it seems.

Yes - there are "camps" but most people are actually more than willing to appreciate the others - it's the vocal minority that make it seems like the "war" is much larger than it is.

Certainly most people I know are AmigaOS 4 users because I hang around AW.net and Amigans.net as well, but overall I'd say that most of the people I've come across have been genuinely happy when progress is made on AROS or MorphOS - I imagine that most people on MorphZone.net are also genuinely pleased when AmigaOS 4 shows progess (at least I hope so).
Of course there are some OS4 users who will yell at MorphOS users, but luckily I think they're the minority in the same way as the anti-OS4 brigade are a minority of MorphOS users - there's always going to be someone.

So don't give up - just realise most of the people are keeping quiet because they don't care about the bickering! The only reason I took any part in the thread was because I get so fed up of people yelling about the Sam is unusable, when I know it's not true because I use one regularly.

On the plus side, this argument has kept the news about there being two new full systems at the top spot of the forums. :) All good publicity - and I for one wish to support the few remaining companies supplying us with what we need for our hobby to survive.
--
Ian Gledhill