Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two New Full Systems Based on Sam440ep-Flex  (Read 11594 times)

Description:

Offline Britelite

• Show all replies
    • http://www.dekadence64.org
Re: Two New Full Systems Based on Sam440ep-Flex
« on: September 28, 2012, 08:05:23 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;709643

You can tell the Sam users how underpowered it is all you like, but it doesn't change the fact that it's not.

I beg to disagree, it IS underpowered for quite a lot of tasks (just like most other PPC-hardware), especially considering the price. Amiga-users are just too used to tweaking their own habits around what the machine is (in)capable of doing, but it's 2012 and a "new" machine should be able to perform tasks that PC's have been doing for the past 10 years.

But that doesn't change the fact that using the machine can be fun, because it is fun. But trying to convince yourself that the machine isn't underpowered (compared to anything else on the market today) and somehow arguing that the price isn't crazy high is just silly. Hobbies are expensive and they don't need to be sane :)

Offline Britelite

• Show all replies
    • http://www.dekadence64.org
Re: Two New Full Systems Based on Sam440ep-Flex
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 08:38:14 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;709646

As for the price... seriously, these guys have to eat. They have families to feed. How can they be expected to produce low volume hardware at much cheaper prices?  There's a lot of work gone into the R&D of the boards, of the production of the boards, of the investment risk in the first place. These guys deserve money, and really 550 Euros for a complete system is a bargain when you factor in all the costs. We're not talking about big companies with huge economies of scale here.

Except that the price ISN'T 550 euros when you add taxes and the cost of the OS. And I know WHY the price is high, but it doesn't make it any less crazy high though for me as a potential buyer. I might actually consider buying the machine if it was 500e for a complete system, with OS and taxes included. But paying nearly 1000e for it just isn't an option, and it most likely won't attract anyone not already using AOS4 to buy one.