Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A570 cd-rom drive - do I want one?  (Read 1392 times)

Description:

A570 cd-rom drive - do I want one?
« on: December 16, 2002, 07:41:47 AM »
I may be able to get my hands on an A570 cd-rom drive. Question is - what would I be able to use it for? I mean I have no software on CD and I suspect it isn't possible to burn CDs on my PC and use them in my amiga CD-rom drive. So what do you think - should I buy it, and if so - what would I use it for? :-)

I've read something about this turning the A500 into a CD32, what's that all about?

Offline Damion

Re: A570 cd-rom drive - do I want one?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2002, 07:52:00 AM »
I would get it if the price is right, if anything
for novelty. They're somewhat rare too it seems.

You can use all of the CDTV software, but I'm not
sure about CD32...maybe CD32 titles that don't
require AGA.

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2002, 08:04:59 AM »
Yes, sorry, I meant CDTV instead of CD32. :-)

Offline Rob

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2002, 08:17:44 AM »
There is no way to add AGA compatability to an A500.  However many
CD32 games were ECS titles re-published on CD, so they should run on
an A570 equipped system.

I don't see why discs burned using your PC should't work.  If you do
encounter problems try burning them at double speed instead of your
normal settings.

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2002, 08:20:24 AM »
So the Amiga can read the filesystem created by the PC on the CD? It may be possible to transfer files from the PC to the Amiga this way then?

Offline Rob

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2002, 08:34:11 AM »
Assuming you are using your own PC to come here, you could also try
using Akiko from Airsoft.  It costs 15 euro and there is a trial
version available for download from their site.

Offline Oli_hd

• Show only replies by Oli_hd
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2002, 10:38:17 AM »
Hi,

I may be able to get my hands on an A570 cd-rom drive. Question is - what would I be able to use it for? I mean I have no software on CD and I suspect it isn't possible to burn CDs on my PC and use them in my amiga CD-rom drive.

The A570 is a nice little unit, It turns your A500 into a Commodore CDTV, You can play almost all CDTV titles which are much better than the A500 versions (Simcity & Lemmings are great CDTV titles).
You can also play audio CD`s, Read PC CD-Roms (But not boot from them!), You can burn CDTV titles using a PC if you get the ISO image (IE: download off the net) but you cant just copy folders to the CD and get it to boot without using an Amiga or Amiga emulator.
The A570 can also be expanded to have a full SCSI interface for adding a harddrive, This interface can be bought from Vesalia very cheap.

[quote} So what do you think - should I buy it, and if so - what would I use it for? [/quote]
Yes you should, I have an A570 and its a nice peace of kit.
What should you use it for? Playing lots of CDTV games, listening to audio CD`s, CD+G`s, CD+Midi`s etc..

sharpshooter wrote:
I may be able to get my hands on an A570 cd-rom drive. Question is - what would I be able to use it for? I mean I have no software on CD and I suspect it isn't possible to burn CDs on my PC and use them in my amiga CD-rom drive. So what do you think - should I buy it, and if so - what would I use it for? :-)

I've read something about this turning the A500 into a CD32, what's that all about?