Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Do you think this video is fake?  (Read 2922 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaClassicRuleTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
Do you think this video is fake?
« on: November 19, 2012, 02:36:44 AM »
This guy in youtube showed he can play video using AGA only http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAerBN60VQc here is the link shown.

Can you guys tell me how he did it? What software and hardware configuration I need to be able to do exactly what is shown in youtube? Do you think it is fake?

Thanks in advance.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Do you think this video is fake?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 02:49:42 AM »
I expect that most of the trick lies in the parameters. That's a very small video, even if he's running in a higher resolution. The YouTube clip is also not high-quality enough for us to get a good look at it and look for any tell-tale compression artifacts, so we don't know that he isn't using an older, low-speed-friendly codec like Cinepak. Same goes for the audio.

Video isn't really as intensive as people think it is, until you start cranking up the resolution and compression quality. Heck, Myst used larger videos than that and could run on a 16MHz 68020 or a 33MHz 386, according to the system requirements. This should be pretty easily within the 1200's capabilities.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 02:51:01 AM »
There is another video in youtube showing Amiga 1200 running a complete movie in full screen with HAM quality and audio and the Amiga 1200 specs are 64 MB of RAM with 68030 CPU running at 33 Mhz. It is playing the video as a normal PC, I refused to p[ost the link of the video running due to the content of the video is not suitable for this website.

The name of the program is HAMP tool. He said in the video HAMP is a tool that allows the amiga to play AVI files converted to a compatible CODEC in full screen, 12 bit per pixels at 12 frame per second on as stock amiga 500/600.

Does that mean before I use any movie in AVI I download from the internet I nered to convert it to work HAMP? If so, can you guys tell me what i need convert before I use AVI or can it be used directly with HAMP on Amiga 1200?

Thanks in advance.

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 02:51:23 AM »
There is no way to know if that video is fake or not.  All that matters is, can a real AGA Amiga do that?  Yes of course.  Why not?  It can do things much more amazing than that.  That was a really really tiny window.

Can anyone tell me what resolution his workbench is running in?

I can't tell because Adobe is a worthless company that completely trashed out Flash so I can only kinda sorta view youtube in 240p on my 1500 Mhz pc.  By kinda sorta I mean loads of skipping and popping and horrible noises and just complete garbage.  And the picture is really fuzzy at 240p.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 02:55:10 AM »
Video isn't all that great, so yes of course it would be possible to play it... Played videos on my 68030/50mhz.  Forget the player named, but the files were an AVI kind, but low quality just like in that video.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline ChaosLord

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 02:57:10 AM »
Amigas have been showing videos way way way better than that for decades.  One popular tool to use is called ClariSSA.  The SSA stands for Super Smooth Animations.  Get that software, read the instructions and you are good to go. :)

There are also other softwarez that do essentially the same thing.  The Amiga is a hardcore video machine.  Lots and lots of ways of showing videos on Amiga.

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 03:00:12 AM »
What about HAMP then? Can I just download any normal video from the internet in AVI format and type HAMP.RUN videoname.avi and bang it goes full screen on my Amiga 1200 AGA playing in HAM color with audio or I need to convert the video from HD quality in AVI to a format that Amiga 1200 can handle and HAMP play it? If i need to convert the quality of the image what type of resolution or downgrade I need to go so HAMP can play it without losing so much quality that is noticeable to the eyes?

Also what software in Windows I can use? You see if guys help me on this, I can FINALLY PLAY MP3 and movies in my A1200...FINALLY..with getting the internet working...getting the expansion card I can almost smell the use on my A1200 in ways I cannot even image all in it's original keyboard case.

I want to be able to watch family guys, futurama, all my favorite movies and tv shows on my A1200....WAY FUNNER and cooler than PC. Oh guys help me on this please!!

I would feel then my A1200 has more use then OS 4.1 would ever do....erm..excuse me, no offense to OS 4.1 users out there.

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 03:05:23 AM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;715615
Amigas have been showing videos way way way better than that for decades.  One popular tool to use is called ClariSSA.  The SSA stands for Super Smooth Animations.  Get that software, read the instructions and you are good to go. :)

There are also other softwarez that do essentially the same thing.  The Amiga is a hardcore video machine.  Lots and lots of ways of showing videos on Amiga.

That is all nice, but ClariSSA is as rare as Commodore 65. There is HAMP, can you tell me more about it. That video in youtube showing HAMP playing a video sold it for me. But I just need advice and information about HAMP with AVI and what I need to do with the AVI file before using HAMP on it.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 03:09:26 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;715618
That is all nice, but ClariSSA is as rare as Commodore 65.

No it isn't. :)

Offline ChaosLord

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 03:12:54 AM »
If you want to play a .avi file on your Amiga without converting it then there is a program on Aminet that does it.  It was written by Cobra.  I can't remember the name... I am sure other ppl remember.  It will play a lores .avi file on your AGA Amiga in a good quality for cartoons if you have an 060.

You can get much better quality though if you convert the .avi to Amiga format first.  Then you don't need an 060 to watch it and it will look awesome.

I agree it would be a LOT of fun to connect a couple of 2TB drives to the Amiga and fill it with Family Guy and South Park episodes.  AGA HAM8 FTW!

A big limit to your video playback quality will be the horribly slow IDE hard drive controller that is built into the A1200 and A4000.  If you buy a faster harddrive controller you can get way better video quality.

Another thing you should do is use PFS3 as your filesystem instead of the default FFS.

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 03:22:40 AM »
I am going to be having a 68040. So with HAMP I can run on 68040 easily. The movies are not going to be on my IDE AMiga 1200 Hard drive. It is just damn too slow for that.

You are saying buying faster IDE controller. Does that mean I need to tower my Amiga 1200 all together for that? If not, I can get it from AmigaKit? Can it fit on Amiga 1200 original keyboard case and can I use my 2.5" HD for that. My HD is 4000 RPM is that slow for playing videos even after upgrading my IDE controller?

Now HAMP plays AVI, but I am sure it can play Amiga formatted video. If I was to convert AVI to Amiga format what i need to do to achieve this task?

Concerning the file system PFS3 that is easy to do and I am on it completely. But I just need to clear all the issues above first, the file system is the last thing to do and is very easy to achieve.

Thanks in advance.

@Matt_H

I would like to thank you for showing me the link. I just want to ask a question about this software? Does this software just play video directly regardless of the quality or it simply converts the images into an Amiga format that can be played by any Amiga player easily? If it converts the images what about the audio? Would I lose the audio in the process or would it convert the entire movie for me so that I can run it on my Amiga without any problems?

Thanks in advance.

@ChaosLord

I would like to register the latest total chaos game you have with the executable and the entire game data. Where do I go to achieve this? Thanks in advance.

Offline ChaosLord

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 03:43:53 AM »
I don't really know what you should do about your hard drive controller.  I am not an expert on A1200 hard drive solutions.  I just know that my friends with other controllers (mostly SCSI) can load stuff WAY faster than me because in Team Chaos we sometimes do timing tests and we race our machines against each other for fun.  We even race against WinUAE on 3000Mhz multicore pc. hahaha.  Its hilarious.

Anyway maybe some hardware guy can tell you if you should use FastATA controller or SCSI controller.  I assume SCSI controller is waaay faster because it uses DMA.  But its going to be hard for you to find a big SCSI drive, I think.  I donno.  You need advice from ppl who know more than me.

A lot of ppl know about hard drive controllers such as som99, Thomas, Rogerio and many others.

Right now my Amiga is not operable.  I am about to embark on a major overhaul of my Amiga, both my real one and my virtual one.  Once that is done (probably will take me a few weeks since I have no idea what I am doing, I am a software guy not a hardware guy) then I can resume producing Total Chaos AGA, Worlds Best Strategy Game(tm) yah000!!!! :D
You can send me an email to the address in the Aminet readme.

I coded Total Chaos to do very good full screen animations in 640x512 on an 040.  Its even faster framerate on 060 but 040 is pretty good and I am very happy that u r feeding your Amiga some 040 love :)

040 has dual 4K L1 caches, which is real nice, but 4K only can hold 3 tiles inside at once and many times the game gfx will have more than 3 layers.  This is why 060, with dual 8K caches r0x AGA hard.  8k holds 7 tiles so I can mix 7 layers real fast!

Which 040 card are you getting?  How much RAM?

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 03:49:05 AM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;715628
I don't really know what you should do about your hard drive controller.  I am not an expert on A1200 hard drive solutions.  I just know that my friends with other controllers (mostly SCSI) can load stuff WAY faster than me because in Team Chaos we sometimes do timing tests and we race our machines against each other for fun.  We even race against WinUAE on 3000Mhz multicore pc. hahaha.  Its hilarious.

Anyway maybe some hardware guy can tell you if you should use FastATA controller or SCSI controller.  I assume SCSI controller is waaay faster because it uses DMA.  But its going to be hard for you to find a big SCSI drive, I think.  I donno.  You need advice from ppl who know more than me.

A lot of ppl know about hard drive controllers such as som99, Thomas, Rogerio and many others.

Right now my Amiga is not operable.  I am about to embark on a major overhaul of my Amiga, both my real one and my virtual one.  Once that is done (probably will take me a few weeks since I have no idea what I am doing, I am a software guy not a hardware guy) then I can resume producing Total Chaos AGA, Worlds Best Strategy Game(tm) yah000!!!! :D
You can send me an email to the address in the Aminet readme.

I coded Total Chaos to do very good full screen animations in 640x512 on an 040.  Its even faster framerate on 060 but 040 is pretty good and I am very happy that u r feeding your Amiga some 040 love :)

040 has dual 4K L1 caches, which is real nice, but 4K only can hold 3 tiles inside at once and many times the game gfx will have more than 3 layers.  This is why 060, with dual 8K caches r0x AGA hard.  8k holds 7 tiles so I can mix 7 layers real fast!

Which 040 card are you getting?  How much RAM?

Well, I want to get the Blizzard one but I am not so sure if this is what the guy is selling in eBay. He is selling the card that with a certain upgrade I can make it become 68060...so I doubt that is Blizzard. It is the other kind, maybe Apollo I have not confirmed with him, but his card says if I change the voltage and other little things on the card I can upgrade it from 040 to 060 if I wanted. Now can that card see more than 32 MB of RAM?

I am going to try to max out the RAM as much as I can, so if it can only see 32 MB that is what I will have. If it can see 128 MB of RAM then this is what I will buy as RAM expansion.

Offline ChaosLord

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 03:59:24 AM »
Please be aware that 50Mhz 060s are very cool (4.9 Watts)  but  25Mhz 040s get very hot. Ouch!

So if you get an 040 for ur desktop A1200 then you need to leave the trapdoor off and raise up your A1200.  You can buy some "feet" for your A1200 for a couple of bucks at the computer store/hardware store/whereever.

If you get an 040 card they can be upgraded to 060 but you should have a professional do it and it will cost quite a bit of $$$.  Be aware.

How much are you looking to spend on your Accellerator card?

What country are you in?

Offline ChaosLord

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 04:02:55 AM »
The link u posted does not show me any Amiga products.  Just some generic Ebay page trying to sell me a keyboard.