Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Clear Thinking?  (Read 1393 times)

Description:

Offline RassilonTopic starter

• Show only replies by Rassilon
    • http://www.lewisbrunton.co.uk
Clear Thinking?
« on: October 02, 2003, 09:44:02 AM »
Having read Dave Haynie's interview and the comments posted after it I had a quick think about the whole MorphOS / AOS4 situation. (Please note I am not referring to Genesi / Amiga Inc)

Seeing as everyone is being calm and reasonable perhaps they would like to consider this:

When MorphOS was originally shown on a pegasos in its beta state it was a little unstable. Though it was to be expected as it was a new OS on new hardware. At the time it came under criticism for this. (I am as guilty as anyone elseof this)

With hindsight its clear that to comment wholeasale on a new product in a beta state is not useful, as we can see MorphOS has now matured into a stable, useful and exciting system.

With this rather more mature and adult approach in  mind I think it would better to consider AOS4 in the same way, ie its beta now, but things (as shown by MorphOS) will get better.

By that I mean that any comments on  lack of speed and reliability should be held back until the product is actually released.

Something to think on perhaps?

Rassilon
Yes it is a dodgy picture, but what do you expect from a mobile phone camera!!

Oh yeah and I own an A1200T/060 with Mediator etc and an A1G3SE

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
Re: Clear Thinking?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 10:14:07 AM »
i agree and i never aimed thoose comments to this , i aimed it to the attempt of putting os3.9 in a black spot.

i have been able to test pegasos for more than a short period and it aint like he say , and that goes for many, i wish "he" was telling it from a wider aspect as all people who have problems now keeps thinnking is, WHAT AM I DOOING wrong and my os3.9 aint crashing like he is referring to.

just my opinion + the people i talk to everyday, beyond that sure mos is getting its SEAL more and more everyday and i aint saying its crap, i am saying its not perfect and it is STILL crashing due to stuff missing , emulation aint 100% (like amithlon etc) .

i have a friend who has an identical amiga system to me , we have totally diffrent problems , so i installed my system from a backup to his setup and it still was UNSTABLE while mine was stable,
and this is the same problems we see on pegasos*mos today even , the hw came in diffrent working states and it is almost like the a1200's atm , some aint crashing..other is all the time.

but sure , pegasos is new so we must say its perfect and put the amiga's in the closet because its better they claim, but then when u look back 2 years ago, with amithlon...the same people + many more attacked amithlon for not beeing amiga and sure they are right , but it also uses emulation like mos/pegasos does and so will os4, have we met our doom? ... i think not.

anyway i always stayed on amiga for the classic reasons, i am very retro and i like the quality within, i am one of thoose who wont bend over and put my a1200 in the closet or whatever UNTIL we see proper emulation and as for that UAE for ppc is really lame and i mean REALLY , even WINuae is lame but atleast its closer to an working emu than anything else.

people said 2-3 years ago , i love my amiga.. and then not too long after they bought a pc and still claimed amiga rules etc ..bla bla .. well its rather "double morale" if u ask me, but sure you ca use both systems without me jumping in and get ready to kill ya, the point is i am here for the reason that i use my amiga fulltime and i dont use other systems, not anymore atleast (did for a short period some years ago (using a pc).

people are so protective about what they like until they find anything better and thats what is so weird, another thing is that it seems about everyone here atm (almost anyway) has a pc/mac/linux net to an amiga if any, kinda sad really.

as a last note to rassilion, i know what u meant but i atleast tried to show what i was reffering to in my post in "THAT" thread.

cheers
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 11:26:55 AM »

lempkee wrote:
but sure , pegasos is new so we must say its perfect and put the amiga's in the closet because its better they claim, but then when u look back 2 years ago, with amithlon...the same people + many more attacked amithlon for not beeing amiga and sure they are right , but it also uses emulation like mos/pegasos does and so will os4, have we met our doom? ... i think not.
You'd have to work to hate Amithlon.  Really, the debate then was about whether or not it was worthwhile to base a *platform* on when we didn't know if a 4 was even coming or if MorphOS would prove more useful than, well, AROS. ;-)  People just dragged it out to the encompassing declarations of 'good,' 'bad' or 'evil' because, y'know, it's fun, I guess.  (Hey, the whole reason I turned up in the Amiga scene a few years ago was because everything else sucked, and things were so nuts that I could pass for collected in comparison!)

Since VP is arguably faster and more portable than the Amithlon monolith, and paring it down to a 'native mode' leaves you with Linux, it was obvious that we'd have to pick a (hardware) platform if we ever wanted to get native-mode-OS traction again.  And hey, it's paying off - we've already brought Apple-unencumbered PowerPC boards back to market, and while we're otherwise back where we started (MorphOS in current incarnation/practice turning out to be a pretty faithful rework of the original principles, OS4 getting to that point), we've got foundations again.  4.0 is already  pointing towards VM, memory protection, and that AG2 business if you want to believe in it; MorphOS does need to clarify its position technically (though we can respect the value of making no promises as savvy marketing at this point), but hey, they *have* scooped up a rough half of the community, looks like they're starting down the road to being a better* Apple than Apple, and a working PegII should give them the chance to start courting Linux fans and the 'public' rather than trying to cut their losses among us nuts.

Now let's get this stupid lawsuit out of the way, see if AInc. reboots itself with a Chapter 11 if it needs to (worked for Mandrakesoft?), and keep what momentum both sides have got going!  If the Amithlon/Umilator(?) property ever detangles, it'll still have a niche as the best emulator ever written.

---

*Umm.. Maybe "more indie" is the phrase?  Apple's starting to look a little PBR these days...

[I'm disappointed I know what "Looking a little PBR" means.   Blogs will be the death of us all.]

Offline RassilonTopic starter

• Show only replies by Rassilon
    • http://www.lewisbrunton.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 11:26:56 AM »
Here I am replying to my own post, about to make an observation -

No one apart from lempkee has replied to my post, did I make a good point, perhaps as it has not lead to a flame war.

I am hoping that the lack of replies is due to people considering and agreeing with what I wrote. (Crossing fingures as we speek!!!!)

Rassilon
Yes it is a dodgy picture, but what do you expect from a mobile phone camera!!

Oh yeah and I own an A1200T/060 with Mediator etc and an A1G3SE

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 11:31:11 AM »
@ Rassilon

I certainly think you made a good point.

I'm sure there are plenty of people, like me. Who have not passed judgement on a Beta version (probably because they haven't see one, lol), and are waiting for OS4 to actuall come out before passing any kind of judgement.
I like Amigas

Offline Cravan

• Show only replies by Cravan
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 12:18:39 PM »
@Rassilon
I've only read the Haynie document briefly, but they way I understand it, he wasn't interested in MOS, if it is only a copy of AmigaOS. What MOS-user should do, is to tell people like myself, that has not followed the MOS-discussions, or tried it out, what exactly is it that makes morphOS than AmigaOS? I am sure there must be many things, otherwise I don't understand the appeal for MorphOS.

@Cyberus
I understand russian! he he

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2003, 12:30:47 PM »
When MorphOS was originally shown on a pegasos in its beta state it was a little unstable. Though it was to be expected as it was a new OS on new hardware. At the time it came under criticism for this. (I am as guilty as anyone elseof this)

However annoying, I think it's just neutral. When MorphOS was demonstrated, and there were photographs taken of different apps running, and whatever, the single picture showing graphical glitches got picked up and carried like a flag to show how crap MorphOS was.

We will always have those finding some primitive joy in tearing every effort apart. I could ask "where were you when", but it's simply pointless. I understand that OS4 is close to your heart, and it's true that I am still waiting with forming an opinion about the final product.

Yet, reason will have little effect on those I've mentioned above.

Offline xaccrocheur

• Show only replies by xaccrocheur
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2003, 12:35:01 PM »
By that I mean that any comments on lack of speed and reliability should be held back until the product is actually released.

Well around here we have a saying "you stealed those words from my mouth" that is suited.

This exactly how I and my friends feels : Release betas. then tweak it. Get feedback. Then release IT. DamnIT :)

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2003, 12:43:20 PM »
it's impossible to Fish with Troll's , you need worms for that ... LOL
Whats up with all the hate!