Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What hardware is at 0x01000010 ?  (Read 1248 times)

Description:

Offline DoobreyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
What hardware is at 0x01000010 ?
« on: January 04, 2006, 08:41:08 PM »
I've been trying to figure out what the 'unused' exec is for in the 3.9bb2 romupdate.
 As far as I can tell, it has flags that don't meet any of the tests that Setpatch does (for identifying /matching  the correct residents to update for the machine it's running on).
 Now for nerdy stuff..
 It appears to be identical to the A1200 version of exec v45.20 with one exception.
 Right after it does the flash/debug rom check and PCMCIA bootrom check, it writes to 0x01000010 and 0x01001010 before carrying on with the normal execbase checks etc.

My initial thoughts were maybe disabling maprom on a turbo card, but I didn't see anything in Piru's Blizkick sources that matched the address.
It just seems strange, writing to ZIII space before expansion has configured anything, so it's gotta be for a specific card.

Any clues to what machine it's for, or what lies at that address?
On schedule, and suing

Offline lurkist

• Show only replies by lurkist
Re: What hardware is at 0x01000010 ?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 10:53:03 PM »
Out Depth Persons' Shot In The Dark (includes free BUMP)

Checking for ram on accelerator boards?
A1200 Power Tower, Blizzard 1260 66 +32MB, OS3.9, 2.5\\" HD, IDEfix97 + DVD-RW + Zip, SD/FF + 15\\" CRT, Ioblix1200P + scanner, PCMCIA LAN + router

Offline DoobreyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 12:56:50 AM »

Checking for ram on accelerator boards?

That was one of my first thoughts too, but it only writes to those addresses and doesn't read anything back..plus exec never normally checks for fast ram, that's expansion.library's job...my poor ickle brain hurts.
On schedule, and suing

Offline umisef

• Show only replies by umisef
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 02:19:31 AM »
If it is the same thing I ran into (which I believe it is), then the routine that does it is one which supposedly works out whether certain memory spaces are mirrored (which is why you don't see any reads --- the reads are at the unmirrored position); IIRC correctly, the routine had always been there, but for BB2, H&P made it go just a bit further than before.

Now, the question of "why" is interesting. While I am of course not party to any decision making at H&P, I have a suspicion. Before releasing BB2 on the unsuspecting public, H&P had just screwed up the whole Amithlon thing in an impressive manner. They were aware that a successor product was in the pipeline, and that they would not be involved in it. In fact, as a matter of courtesy, I had made an early version of the successor product available to them, with the request to please check and tell me about any specific IP of theirs they considered to be present in it.

When BB2 came out, it broke what later was dubbed "Umilator". The reason being that Umilator, unlike Amithlon or any real hardware Amiga, used that space to map RAM into it. And it so happened that some of the updates got loaded into it, then got corrupted (because the silly routine did its tests destructively). Uh-oh!

I would prefer to think of this as an innocent mistake, rather than an (ultimately futile, of course) act of sabotage --- but in order to think so, it would be very helpful to find even a single piece of hardware that the changed test has any use on. So far, no dice.