Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion announces OS 3.1 update  (Read 31515 times)

Description:

Offline kreciu

Re: Hyperion announces OS 3.1 update
« on: November 13, 2017, 07:09:27 PM »
Great, but I just installed OS3.9 with all possible updates ;). How much more someone can update 060.library?

I think people would be happy to have new chip rom with "official" updates so we don't need to restart Amiga's multiple times.

We need new OS3.95 :D.

What about OS3.9 update...
Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD

Offline kreciu

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 08:23:30 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;833083
Not quite sure what you mean. The 68060.library you better take from your Turbo board vendor. Or, failing that, directly from me. (-;

I think I'm using yours (for sure not the original). I have to start remembering names of people involved in Amiga in more direct way... :). Due to Internet (any "me" learning English), I actually can talk to people who made software I used 20+ years ago :).

The situation is complicated... Some of the 3.9 sources have been lost because H&P never checked them back into the repository. Some of the 3.9 rights were lost because authors can no longer be reached.

I was on "sabbatical" for some time as far as Amiga, so I missed like 10 years (or more) of various type of issues..., so I'm still learning. I know for sure that there was plenty of issues.

What I'm trying is to find the latest possible version of all tools I can get hold of, provided that we can use it. Which is sometimes less than 3.9 (so the HDToolBox is based on the 3.1 version, just in a working condition), and sometimes more than 3.9 (like asl, diskfont, layers and the shell).

However, before this complete package will be released, there will be a "Museum version" which will be a very very minor update. Probably just the FFS and the HDToolBox.

It would be nice to have updated OS3.1 as much as possible and officially.
Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD

Offline kreciu

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 08:01:43 PM »
I would say that adding basic functionality of OS3.1 recognizing larger HDD "out of the box" is a OK choice, but spending more time/resources on it is like asking MS to make updates for Win 3.0 so I can use my USB printer. Considering that MS has BILLIONS and hundred of thousands of people working for them and they made STRATEGIC decision to "move on", why in Amiga environment we have so much resources do continue prolonging dead or... already dead system. There is community of people who is making patches to it and that is great. The same is happening eg. in case of Win 98 with "Service Pack 3" type of ideas.

I would rather see new working network driver/FPU for Tabor (IF people really have to have PPC under the hood for some reason?!), that it is taking like 2 YEARS to develop.

There is plenty of third party updates for OS3.1/3.9 and lately people can buy original ROMs and floppies with OS3.1, to install it on their Amiga. Small update to make life easier (but at the same time 4gb CF card is amazing size for anything Amiga related. I could not use 100Mb of HDD space...

Overall, from my perspective I don't see DIRECTION in development of "Amiga" overall. Scattered projects as far as HW as software goes. Diluting resources, man power will not lead to anything with exception of more frustrations and division of already quite divided environment.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:07:10 PM by kreciu »

Offline kreciu

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 10:54:33 PM »
Initially I was quite happy with idea of some updates for OS3.1, the more I think about it I really don't see much reason for it.

I did not even bother to install OS3.1, went straight to OS3.9+BB 1, 2, 3 and 4. I really think there is plenty of updates floating around for OS3.1 and OS3.9 (updates? Take AmiKit!? - this is AMAZING what can be done)

It is not like new updates add new functionality to my system... such as Office 98 ;).

Every-time I use my Amiga's there is this time I "hit the wall" meaning, miraculously everything works and... nothing more can be done. Sure, I can check email, listen to mp3... etc. watch Warp3D cow animation for about 3h a day or in near future move Warp3D logo on the second screen...

I'm going to sell all this Amiga stuff and play Angry Birds on my phone with 4GB ram.

My point is (?) that we (I'm just a customer!) don't have much of productivity software that is up to date. Sure, updates for system are good, but we have plenty stable OS3.1/OS3.9 and what next?

I think I'm not alone in this, but "pimping my Workbench" become main use of AmigaOS, new clock, calendar, new icon set, new background, another picture viewer, DVD recorder etc. etc. and that IS OK, and it still can be in future, but...

In some way I would like to have AmigaOS that... my wife could use for her business. How many people HATES MS, APPLE, GOOGLE etc. etc. digesting all your personalities and treating your personal lives as product?

Personally I see AmigaOS as system that is "SECURE, light, fast, virus free, don't track every single click on your keyboard and reads all your emails, and downloads ALL user info. etc.". This type of system would become some sort of alternative to main stream today. There is plenty angry users of NOKIA phones ;).

Main "base" is there, AmigaOS rights are protected and this system IS distinct from everything else is there. It is actually good that is not developed for 20 years, it can avoid all this "20gb size after installation + 4GB ram + ... " thing. KEEP it small, simple, one CD installation (MAX). People don't need all this features they never use.

Offline kreciu

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 05:12:46 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;833148
@kreciu

Secure? Surely you jest? AmigaOS is anything but secure.
It's design almost screams "invade me, look around, do whatever you like, not only will I put up no fight I'll actually help you"  :-)

I did not say it IS secure, I'm saying that should be one if possible direction of development.

Right now even I know it is everything BUT secure :-)

Offline kreciu

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 01:59:27 PM »
Quote from: olsen;833169
A more secure Amiga operating system is guaranteed not to work with the vast majority of currently available software.

I thinks AmigaOS4.1 don't work with most available software and I don't think it is more secure then older version?

Offline kreciu

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 02:04:25 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;833153
Look, if you don't want it, don't buy it.

Yes, it is VERY true.

Offline kreciu

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 02:10:16 PM »
Quote from: olsen;833169
The security aspects have been discussed before, but the Amiga operating system architecture is not designed with security in mind. If anything, the focus was on making the most of very little available RAM and squeeze as much performance out of the CPU as possible.

Security measures are built from layers of isolation which limit what a program or operating system function may accomplish. These are completely absent in the Amiga operating system. Compare this to the then (1985) contemporary Macintosh or Atari TOS designs which use "software interrupts" to call operating system functions. There is at least a context change implied, which could be leveraged to enforce permissions to perform an action. Nothing comparable exists on the Amiga, except perhaps the Envoy server which has a single point of entry (authentication) to either grant or deny access to a resource.

Retrofitting operating system designs not intended to offer security measures typically produce compromises which end in tears.

You could redesign the system, of course, but then you'll invariably have to "triage" the software that is expected to still work with it. A more secure Amiga operating system is guaranteed not to work with the vast majority of currently available software.

So, you tell me that AmigaOS4.x will never be secure?

Offline kreciu

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 05:15:12 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;833178
On an unrelated thought, where's that troll who used to always say you should never upgrade your Amiga to 3.1? Haven't heard from him in a while. Wonder how he feels about all this? :laughing:

Don't tempt me, I'm thinking to become troll... Just for the sake of argument ;-).

...Few months ago I got fresh, new AmigaOS3.1 floppies and NOW I hear about update! Can we finally stop this updates I can't keep up. Now I will have outdated system.

Offline kreciu

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 06:07:33 AM »
OS3.1 Update? As you can see there is plenty of people that would like to have update "here and there" etc. Like I wrote before, leave it as is. That way it stays as a retro system with all it limitations etc. Most of those limitations can be overcome in some way and is actually part of "retro experience".

If someone have to much time in their hands why not to fix AmigaOS4.1 FE for Classics? This system can't be installed on "supported" HW without many issues, Update 1 is useless and Enhancer Package for classics is configured by default not for classics but for way more powerful Amiga. Why not to add support for some other HW?

Offline kreciu

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 09:52:49 PM »
I would rather see work progress on AmigaOS4.2 and finished AmigaOS4.1 for looooooooooooooooooooooong  awaited A1222.

How long it takes to make a network driver? 3 years?