Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hyperion announces OS 3.1 update  (Read 31515 times)

Description:

Offline BozzerBigD

Re: Hyperion announces OS 3.1 update
« on: November 14, 2017, 10:48:13 AM »
As I recall I had issues getting the OS3.9 Boing Bag 2 installed (I had to find a missing library first or something), and so I was cautious about installing Boing Bags 3 & 4. As long as my software works I really not bothered that OS3.9 is no longer developed. I definitely not going back to Workbench 3.1, that would be insane! My only guess is that this Workbench 3.1 development is so that Hyperion can negotiate a bundling deal with the Apollo Team for the upcoming Vampire V4 standalone machine otherwise what's the point?
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 01:54:15 PM »
But why? Is it to allow the exotic features of the Vampire boards to be fully supported by Workbench 3.1.x developers? I fail to see how the ability to develop for 3.1 going forwards is going to be better for the casual end user than just dusting off 3.9. If you want something up to date then you'd look at OS4.x not this crusty old grey and blue relic surely?

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 03:45:01 PM »
I look forward to Hyperion striking a deal with the Apollo Team to get this bundled with the stand alone Vampire V4. If not then I cease to be interested. My current OS 3.9 setup works fine. Why mess with it?

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 04:41:16 PM »
@gizmo350

That's a great idea! Hyperion should include an install option to update current OS3.5 or OS3.9 systems in addition to fresh installs. That way it could double as a Vampire V4 install disc or a Classic machine library update disk :cool:

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 10:10:41 PM »
He seems to be assuming we'll happily do a clean install of Workbench 3.1.4 and then copy over some OS3.9 files however the way I see it the new bits of Workbench 3.1.4 could be added to OS3.9. Why would the average user 'downgrade' to an uglier system just to allow the devs to keep pushing out the equivalent of Atari 2600 games?

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 11:37:50 AM »
Just use TurboPrint with the best supported printer you can find on eBay and don't let it break down! IrseeSoft will issue more updates one day if we wait long enough and maybe new DENEB USB boards will be given away with breakfast cereal :laugh1:

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 08:58:12 AM »
@kreciu

That way it stays as a retro system with all it limitations etc. Most of  those limitations can be overcome in some way and is actually part of  "retro experience".

So struggling to get a 4Gb+ hard drive to work is "part of the retro experience" is it? Or are hard drives voodoo too because you think an unexpanded A500 was the only 'true' Amiga? There is nothing wrong with removing bugs but it is a shame we can't use the OS3.9 code base after all these years :-(