Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OctaMed sound studio  (Read 18674 times)

Description:

Offline minator

• Show only replies by minator
    • http://www.blachford.info
Re: OctaMed sound studio
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2011, 09:55:26 PM »
Any chance you could put the TI and MUG discs on-line somewhere?  I've never been able to find them anywhere.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2011, 10:02:57 PM »
Anyone got any links to 8bit DnB/Breakbeat/House sample packs?

I don't fancy converting decades of 16 and 24 bit samples unless I really have to. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline sperrett

• Show only replies by sperrett
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 10:09:23 PM »
Quote from: minator;618795
Any chance you could put the TI and MUG discs on-line somewhere?  I've never been able to find them anywhere.

My Amiga is in pieces at present! Awaiting an IDE splitter and scan doubler, but when I am up and running I can certainly upload them! I also have the  MUG Presents Disks. Rudi Samborski, Steven Gane and Ben Thomas.

Incidently, if anyone is interested? Amiga mods play perfectly in the PC version of Soundstudio.
Steve.

---------------------

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.Douglas Adams

Offline minator

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 10:16:43 PM »
I never did start writing the iPad app (BTW it was to be based on the Aural Synthetica sound engine).  I did do a lot of research and started learning Objective C though.

As part of the research I downloaded a load of iPad synths, some of which are very good.  As I played with them I got more and more interested in the playing of the synths rather than coding them.  I've since set up a home studio and plan to start recording - once I've got my head around a few multi-hundred page manuals!

It's amazing what you can get now.  In my PC days I used to look at the capabilities of different sound cards but now I don't even need one.  I just got a mixer that has a firewire port, I just plug in and import directly from the mixer.

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 10:17:37 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;618585
Hooligan

Why do you prefer octamed4? Which one has the built in synth and drum machines?

V4 was by far the best tool if you wanted to be productive. The user interface is easy to learn, its simple and quick. Even after years and a couple dozen finished songs on SoundStudio I still didn't feel at home with it. It certainly wasn't a bad tracker, quite the opposite.. but I (and I know many many others) preferred V4 over Soundstudio even if we missed important features.

V4 has Synthsounds, I very rarely used them but some lead and bass-instruments were pretty cool sounding.

I also want to add that I have used Med since V1 .. and ALL of the versions ever released... I have great respect for the program, I spit on Protracker ;)

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2011, 10:31:02 PM »
Sperret

That would be cool if you uploaded them many ppl here would be greatful for cool 8bit samples!

@ minator

Cool. Fun to make music again eh?

Hooligan

Cool, i'm going to try octamed 4 and 5.. 4 is prolly want I want since it has the built in synth.. my set up will be an a1200 030 32mb with octamed and a midi box (pyramid midi) connected to my turntables and vestax mixer, and the MIDI hooked up to an external drum machine.

I want to combine octamed with samples ( i have a dss8+ that works from octamed to sample with? ) and synth sounds and time it to the midi drum machine (boss dr groove 202) is this all feasible? any tips from u guys?
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2011, 10:13:38 PM »
Quote from: sperrett;618786
Here's a link to some of my mods I posted up on Soundclick.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1148969

How did you do 'haunted house' ? Is that just a regular sax sample?

I like the mods, not the usual stuff. Do you use midi at all or all punched in?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 02:49:47 AM by TheGoose »
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2011, 10:32:19 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;618798
Anyone got any links to 8bit DnB/Breakbeat/House sample packs?

I don't fancy converting decades of 16 and 24 bit samples unless I really have to. :)

No need, really. OctaMED SS will happily load 16-bit samples, though there are some restrictions on their playback compared to 8-bit ones.
int p; // A

Offline nicholas

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2011, 10:37:41 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;619872
No need, really. OctaMED SS will happily load 16-bit samples, though there are some restrictions on their playback compared to 8-bit ones.

Me no likes SS, Octamed Pro V4 is much nicer.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline sperrett

• Show only replies by sperrett
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2011, 09:50:49 AM »
Quote from: TheGoose;619870
How did you do 'haunted house' ? Is that just a regular sax sample?

I like the mods, not the usual stuff. Do you use midi at all or all punched in?

Thanks. :) It was in fact two sax samples if I recall? I did start to use midi with soundstudio. I had it conected into a Yamaha MU10. Which I still have and that is now attached to my PC.
Having troubles with My Miggy! Just ordered a new (other) internal disk drive! That, and my external drive decided to crap out on me at the same time!. I will upload some mods somewhere pretty soon. I have a mod here by a guy name Mick Hunt. It's called 'A Very British Tragedy' It's an astonishing 4 track mod. You have to see it to appreciate it! A thing of beauty to watch as well as listen to!  I'll get it p[osted somewhere and put a link up later.
Steve.

---------------------

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.Douglas Adams

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2011, 06:05:42 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;619874
Me no likes SS, Octamed Pro V4 is much nicer.

I guess we'll have to differ on that one. I've nothing against older versions of OctaMED, but for me V6 and subsequently SS represented a shift from the "regular" tracker to a proper application. When I went RTG, seeing my first 32-channel mixmode track (and more importantly being able to edit it) in a 1600x1200 display was a revelation.
int p; // A

Offline nicholas

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2011, 06:59:13 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;623308
I guess we'll have to differ on that one. I've nothing against older versions of OctaMED, but for me V6 and subsequently SS represented a shift from the "regular" tracker to a proper application. When I went RTG, seeing my first 32-channel mixmode track (and more importantly being able to edit it) in a 1600x1200 display was a revelation.

That's what Logic and Ableton are for! ;)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2011, 07:23:36 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;623319
That's what Logic and Ableton are for! ;)

No, they're for girls. OctaMED SS is a proper tracker, but designed for grown-ups.
int p; // A

Offline nicholas

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2011, 07:32:04 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;623323
No, they're for girls. OctaMED SS is a proper tracker, but designed for grown-ups.

No such thing as a "proper" tracker, they are all just kids toys.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2011, 07:44:52 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;623326
No such thing as a "proper" tracker, they are all just kids toys.

Nah, kids toys are things like Garage Band, where any halfwit can string tunes together with minimal effort. I'm not saying a talented musician can't create a decent track in it, but it's aimed at the "instant gratification" generation.

A tracker, any tracker, requires patience to work with. In some respects, it's like an instrument in it's own right, insofar as it takes a significant amount of practise and learning it's nuances to get decent results out of. Of course that analogy breaks down when you consider that it's not an instrument you can play a live performance on.

In short, you need at least some talent to use one.
int p; // A

Offline minator

« Reply #44 from previous page: March 20, 2011, 08:07:20 PM »
Can you trigger OctaMED (or even MED) via MIDI?