Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Android  (Read 8747 times)

Description:

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
Re: Android
« Reply #44 from previous page: July 02, 2012, 05:02:34 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;698746
Interestingly enough I'm currently trying to get FS-UAE to compile on my Raspberry Pi...
Kind of like this:
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?p=327101&highlight=raspberry+uae#post327101

;-)

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline Bif

• Show only replies by Bif
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2012, 09:08:26 PM »
Had an Acer A100 tablet for about a year, a Galaxy Nexus for several months, and just got a Samsung SII for my wife a couple of days ago. We both have used iPhones and iPods as well for several years.

The thing that drove me a bit nuts was how I could hardly figure out how to use my Wife's SII. Both the Nexus and it are running Ice Cream Sandwich. Yet the UI, behaviour, and features are quite different. This is insane. And the Acer tablet also on ICS is a bit different too. I bought the Nexus because I heard it was the raw Android experience without some other UI crap put on it. Now I understand why that was important. That TouchWiz stuff is just useless ugly annoying crap. I think manufacturers need a reality check here that the stuff they are adding to tick of feature boxes is just dragging them down.

And yes, it can be very annoying waiting for updates. I bought the Nexus with the understanding that the latest Android would most likely be available for it. It's still stuck on 4.0.1 while the SII I could updated to 4.0.3. I wouldn't normally mind this but the Nexus has been very unstable, it's lucky to go a couple of days without spontaneously rebooting, I'm hoping an update might fix this.

And hearing that Flash is not going to be supported in Android 4.1 is disappointing. Half of my time using Android is watching local TV stream presented in flash. I have no love for flash and wish the world would move on from it but if there is no way to do this going forward I will not be pleased, and I'll just try to stick on 4.0.x.

Now with all that griping I'll still take Android over iOS any day. Couldn't stand being told what I was allowed to do and not do with my iOS device. My iPod apps crap out even more than my Android apps, and the iOS app store never wants to work.

I have no problem at all with the usability of Android other than the fact every device seems to make it look different.

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2012, 09:25:05 PM »
I don't hate it, but I'm kindof disappointed.

Surfing the web is frustrating as nearly every website wants to go into mobile mode. Some are hard if not impossible to use normally. While the youtube app works great, trying to watch flash based webinars in a webpage has been les than fantastic. Some don't work at all. They don't forbid screenblanking which is annoying, and they tend to restart from beginning when I get the screen lit back up again. Very annoying. I can't edit my wikipages wikis. The few games I've tried seem to work OK, but I didn't get my phone for games. Some apps annoy me with filesystem layout restrictions that conflict with where I want to put things, such as some PCB gerber viewer insisting all gerbers go into internal storage, not on the sdcard. Dumb... Didn't work with the gerber I threw at it anyway. Input gets weird at times, such as most apps auto-capitalizing for me but others not. one app somehow ate shifts so I could not do capitals at all. Weird... It feels like I have to use one web browser for this site, a different browser for that site, and a third browser for some other site. I should not have all possible browsers installed just to get to 80% of the web.

Very much looking forward to Ice Cream Sandwich for my Droid4, maybe that will improve things... Maybe not.
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline specialK

• Show only replies by specialK
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2012, 11:37:20 PM »
Quote from: tone007;698703
Yes, I have a bunch of Android devices to play with (and a couple of iOS ones as well) and generally the iOS ones collect dust.

Forgive me for laughing.

what are you laughing at?

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2012, 11:41:21 PM »
Quote from: Colani1200;698702
I hope you have some decent arguments for this? Or are you just parroting Apple propaganda?
If you can't see where android copies iOS then that's your problem, the similarities are obvious!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline djos

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2012, 11:46:02 PM »
Quote from: JJ;698718
never thought I would say this, and I have had enough "discussions" with bloodline over the years, but I live my iPhone 4.  I think iOS is a really good polished OS.  I always thought everyhting being lockes down and uniform would be an issue, its not.

It means everyhting does just work , the same and as expected.  I have got to a stage in life, Im not that old, where I cant be bothered to install loads of thirdparty hacks and widegets etc etc.  I just want to use something.  

A lot of people I work with have android phones and there does not seem to be any rules about UI desgin or standard functionality. This needs to change.

RIM do not make good phones/OS.  If it was not for every compnay in the world giving them to their staff to check emails, they would have long gone.
+1

I manage a team of 12 server admins and after having android for 6 months and installing plenty of Roms (arhd was the best on sensation IMO) I just wanted something that was properly supported by the oem that I didn't have frig with to get the latest OS release onto and bought an iPhone 4s and it's brilliant!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2012, 11:56:06 PM »
Quote from: djos;698785
If you can't see where android copies iOS then that's your problem, the similarities are obvious!
Similarity != copying..

That being said, I think everyone copies everyone else...

iOS is fairly nice..

Android should be better..

And what the world needs now, is love sweet love...

;-)

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline cameng

• Show only replies by cameng
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2012, 12:56:39 AM »
Quote from: desiv;698787
Similarity != copying..

That being said, I think everyone copies everyone else...

iOS is fairly nice..

And what the world needs now, is love sweet love...

;-)

desiv

Well Said

The ultimate question of the universe and everthing shouln't be "Android or iOS?" it should be "rum or bourban?":pint:
:drink:

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2012, 01:04:43 AM »
Quote from: cameng;698793
bourban

noooo!

*pours another islay single malt*

Offline cameng

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2012, 01:21:20 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;698711
Why is that a worry? It makes perfect sense. The cpu in your phone is doing less work and your laptop is faster. Would you be happier if they artificially slowed everything down when the phone was used as a hotspot?

Most routers run linux, installing a web browser on one and using xterm to connect to it wouldn't give you a great experience either.

I'm not saying that android is brilliant, but for the cost of a mid range phone it's good enough for what I need. An iphone wouldn't be a better phone for me and it's alot more expensive.

Edit: actually mentioning hotspot was a my bad. I was compairing phones using my home wifi network. Old phone Slower than netbook, New phone about same speed as i7 Laptop. Yes prob Just Faster Processor in New phone, but maybe Android software update, hard to put things on an even playing feild sometimes. The web experience is getting better and after all it is just a phone, pretty amazing though!

Offline djos

« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2012, 01:34:03 AM »
Quote from: desiv;698787

desiv

Yeah android should be a LOT better, so much for being an "open" system and therefore better:

• the phones come with Carrier bloatware
  • and OEM bloatware
  • they have different crappy UI's (Sense, Touchwiz etc) when the stock UI is really quite nice
  • when you install custom roms there is always something broken
  • if you stick with stock roms you'll more than likely end up with a peice of abandonware because the carriers want you to buy the latest handset and wont update your OS (see Sensation as example, still no official ICS update in Aus yet I was running ICS on it within weeks of it being released for other HTC phones).
  • the UI quality in apps varies wildly as there are no real standards (unlike iOS)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:37:05 AM by djos »

Offline cameng

« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2012, 02:04:46 AM »
Quote from: JJ;698718
never thought I would say this, and I have had enough "discussions" with bloodline over the years, but I live my iPhone 4.  I think iOS is a really good polished OS.  I always thought everyhting being lockes down and uniform would be an issue, its not.

It means everyhting does just work , the same and as expected.  I have got to a stage in life, Im not that old, where I cant be bothered to install loads of thirdparty hacks and widegets etc etc.  I just want to use something.  

A lot of people I work with have android phones and there does not seem to be any rules about UI desgin or standard functionality. This needs to change.

RIM do not make good phones/OS.  If it was not for every compnay in the world giving them to their staff to check emails, they would have long gone.

I used to work for a privately owned company that gave all the relevant people Iphones. I would say for those same reasons. Hard enough to train people at the best of times, standardization makes it easier.

The only complaint they had was that they felt like they never left work, with bosses expecting every one to answer emails out side of work hours.

When the new iphone was advertised I thought it could clean the house and put out the washing, but the opposite happened, the missus plays with her new iphone so much now I'm always cleaning the house and putting out the washing:laugh1:

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2012, 02:29:03 AM »
I dont care about android on a phone... but reading some posts, ios seems to be perfect, maybe too many apple fans here.
a1200 060

Offline KimmoK

• Show only replies by KimmoK
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2012, 07:19:15 AM »
I've been using my first Andoid phone for a year or so.
Every phone platform has it's own issues, but I'm positively surpriced, so far.

+I got a new Symbian phone and also it is good. Better than any other Nokia I have had since some 6110 series phone 10+ years ago.

I think Android devices should be a lot easier to support by our niche than any other.
I would like to see apps that enable me to use Android devices as keyboard/drawing pad for Amiga etc...
It would be nice to see Amigalikes to be the ones that are the best to work with Android...
- KimmoK
// Windows will never catch us now.
// The multicolor AmigaFUTURE IS NOW !! :crazy:

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2012, 07:33:46 AM »
Quote from: Piru;698794
noooo!

*pours another islay single malt*

Now that is something to agree with. :D

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2012, 08:29:52 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;698802
I dont care about android on a phone... but reading some posts, ios seems to be perfect, maybe too many apple fans here.
Android is actually pretty good, and both iOS and Android have their various limitations. I don't use Android enough anymore to really comment on it though... But one thing that I still really don't like on Android is the graphical user interface has a very slight lag (it can only be a few milliseconds), but it's very jarring for me... I understand that the next release will addresses this issue by moving the graphics stack to a higher CPU priority (didn't they say that last time?).

Also, as Amiga users we are used to tight Hardware/Software integration... Which the various Android vendors can't provide.