Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New user says hi!  (Read 5112 times)

Description:

Offline OrgueTopic starter

• Show only replies by Orgue
New user says hi!
« on: April 04, 2004, 11:04:51 AM »
Hi there!

I'm quite the newbie, despite I've owned an Amiga for nearly a decade. Back in the days when State of the Art was Redefined I never owned an Amiga but I was fascinated by the ones my friends had. In 1996 I bought my first Amiga, a 2000, to do animations and some music. After music became my main interest I bought a Amiga 600 which I took on the road for live gigs and ater the 600 died (it's burried in the studio, I still think it can raise from the death) I bought a 1200, which I'm using for 3 years now.
Like I said, I only use my Amiga for music, so I'm afraid I won't be the most valuable and contributing user on this forum but I do hope I'll be able to awnser some questions on occassion. I do have plenty of questions myself, I wil post them in the appropriate forums soon :)

For those who care, here's a picture of my studio, with the Amiga as it's pounding heart:

{edit by admin : image too large}

Offline Rob

Re: New user says hi!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 11:20:34 AM »
Nice to see so much proffessional gear centered around one little
A1200.  Welcome to Amiga.org.

Offline shIva

• Show only replies by shIva
    • http://preshi.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 11:32:50 AM »
have a nice stay here :-)

seems you are a professional musician ... lets hear some tunes :-D
shIva
the answer is [color=CC3300]42[/color] Support  Distributed Amiga - moo ;)

Offline Housey

• Show only replies by Housey
    • http://amiga.org/modules/mylinks/visit.php?lid=33
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 11:48:44 AM »
Hi there Orgue,

I was just wondering what software you use and have you had anything mastered?

btw, Welcome! :-)

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 12:10:40 PM »
Orgue wrote:
{edit by admin: image too large}

Coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool... :-)

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 12:12:29 PM »
:pint: Welcome to Amiga.org, Orgue.  The first one's on me.

;-) That's a nice setup you've got there.  I'll bet that it took a bit of time and effort to knock together.

Offline lordnicon

• Show only replies by lordnicon
    • http://www.hardmodders.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 01:11:08 PM »
nice how do you do music on a little 1200 :-o what ports do you use

Offline Zero

• Show only replies by Zero
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2004, 02:50:31 PM »
@>Orgue

Welcome and hi, thats a cool setup you have there, what music software do you use? :-)
MorphOS G4 Quicksilver MDD

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2004, 06:04:15 PM »
Thank you all for your welcomes :)

The program is use is the infamous Octamed Pro 4.0. I tried different programs (amongst wich Octamed 6 and Octamed for PC) but I keep turning back to this one, altho lately it gets very tempting to switch to a laptop for live gigs (which is actually the reason I signed up here...) I like Octamed because it's the program I started with and well... why learn something new if what you know is good already? Despite Octamed is a tracker I hardly do audio with the Amiga anymore, except for some percussion sounds or some sampled effect sounds. Because of the low sample rate Amiga's are really good for beats. Most of what I do with the Amiga is midi sequencing, I have a Vector Midi Plus midi interface and a sampler of unkown origine.

I have had stuff mastered, altho I'm quite lazy with keeping track of releasing. In 8 years I did 3 solo EP's, the last one is due to be released next month. I contributed to some compilations in the meantime and I hooked up with a friend on 4 or 5 albums (he's also an Octamed / Amiga user).
If you want you can listen to some mp3 files on my website, but most of them are only short previews:
http://www.bunker-records.com/orgue-electronique

Offline restore2003

• Show only replies by restore2003
    • http://www.contrazt.no/records.html
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2004, 07:09:23 PM »
Hi Orgue!

Nice to meet a fellow musician!  :-)

Nice looking studio you got, is that a dx7 i see on the right?
My previous studio consisted on these gadgets:

24 channel digital behringer mixer
Korg Z1
Roland Tb303
Yamaha CS6X
Roland SH-1
Korg ElecTribe ER-1 and EA-1
AKAI SH-2000 sampler
Novation DrumStation & Bass Station
PC using Cubase SX and Amiga 2000 using octamed

Now my studio is all digital:

Pc using xp and cubase sx & buzz 1.5
Various VST`s & VSTi`s
Genelec 1030A studio monitors

I aswell has released 4 singles, and an EP

checkout www.galaxee.no

The music styles im into is Electronica, Trance, House, and some Dance when i get asked to do that.

Welcome to Amiga.org! And hope we may have some interesting conversations!
 :-)
If you need music for games, demos or are in a need of a studio mastering engineer, just contact me :-)
Check out my project homepages: www.galaxee.no   www.restore.no

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2004, 07:17:57 PM »

that_punk_guy wrote:

Coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool... :-)

Chris, wipe the drool off your chin.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2004, 09:15:51 PM »
Thanks Restore :) Yes, that is a DX7 you see there. I recently got it because my DX100 died on me... You had quite a nice kit yourselve! I can't blame you for getting rid of it tho, it all takes a lot of room and with todays technology there's hardly any reason to keep all those big synths in a small house... Except for sentimental reasons :) I have to say, I love old sounds, I love old chicago house and italo disco and so on... I checked your music, it sounds very professional. Did you do that all with software? Rather impressive... Sounds like hit song material to me :) I don't think I'll ever reach that level of production, but I guess the kind of music I like to make can get away with little and gritty production skills. Atleast that's what I tell myself ;)

Offline restore2003

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2004, 10:32:04 PM »
@Orgue:

Yes, that was made only by software synths, i still have my Korg Z1, but i dont know what i should use it for  :-)

The one thing wrong about your studio, is infact the Amiga using octamed. I really hate to say that but its true, i`ve been there, done that, found out that Cubase SX was a million times better, more professional, you suddenly dont have any limitations anymore  :-) (i also tried bars `n` pipes but didnt like it that much)

You have all this amazing gear, and you cant use the power of it with octamed!

My tip for you:

www.buzzmachines.com

Its a VSTi modular tracker for winblows, if you want a software only solution.

Or Cubase SX if you want a combined software hardware solution, but much more difficult song editing.

If you need music for games, demos or are in a need of a studio mastering engineer, just contact me :-)

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2004, 11:50:19 PM »
Well, to be honest... I know what you mean... When I hear music like yours, made with VSTi's I'm always impressed by the power of it all. The guy I bought the DX7 from was also using SX and software and it was very, very impressive. It is really very good, even the analog emulating software like VAZ and Pro53 and Auturion Moog are really convincing... So indeed, I really have no good reason at all to stick to the way I'm working now, except that it actually works and I like it this way... I trust my Amiga and I trust my synths. When I hook up my Amiga it works. No latency, no processor that's too slow... I'm too attached to my Amiga and Octamed. I bought Cubase SX and I don't like it that much... Despite all it's features I can't seem to learn the program. I have no patience for it, I keep switching to Octamed. I also bought Renoise for my laptop, which is a fastracker like tracker that supports VSTi (it's really very good and very cheap), but when I found out I could emulate an Amiga on my laptop I figured I'd go that way. If it fails, I'll get along with Renoise for sure.

To be honest, the thing is... I'm a romantic. I like older electronic dance music, I like older synthesizers and I like the older production methods. Octamed 4 fits into that romantic picture... It's silly, but that's the way it is right now. Maybe when I get further and learn more, like you have, I'll see the limitations of Octamed. But right now I think it's a bless. I like limitations actually, they make me more creative. I have to work around the limitations to get done what I want, it's kinda feeding me, if you know what I mean. (sounds hippy, I know ;))

So how did you get started? You must have been at it for quite a while now, no?

Offline restore2003

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2004, 12:09:10 AM »
I started in the amiga demo scene back in late 1989, making music for intros etc...i wasnt older than 11 years.

I was amazed the first time i saw soundtracker(a version from late 1988, think it was D.O.C`s version), and loaded up a rock song that was included on the disk(i wish i could find it, i want to listen to it again after all these years)

I stayed on the scene until late 1992, when the scene was beginning to decrease. My group "Deadline" split up, some joined Crusaders, others Cryptoburners(I dont remember 100% where they went)

After that i bought a midibox and a cheap synth for my a2000, started to experiment with octamed, bought another synth after that, and more later.

Got a pc in 1999 and installed cubase, almost got a record deal with some songs i made, but talk about bad luck, the record label went bankrupt :lol:

The following year, i started to replace the hardware with software synths, got hold of an early version of "buzz modular tracker"

Since then things really have started to roll :-)
Got a record deal in 2001, released 4 singles, and an album, 3 of those singles were also released on compilation cd`s in both Norway & Sweden.

And a funny story, in 2002, some friends of mine went on a vacation to Bali in asia, they called me from one of the nightclubs there and said: "Dude! theyre playing your single here! wtf! you havent released it here?!?"

Well thats the good side of mp3`s, ur music gets spread all over the world, so im both positive and negative about mp3`s
;-)

Now my nr.1 goal is to get my music released in germany/holland

You should give "Buzz" a try:

http://avdl1064.oli.tudelft.nl/buzzmachines/Buzzmachines_Massive_Pack_Feb2004.exe

Its an excellent vsti tracker, it`s modular, which is quite retro enough for me :-)

You will like it, trust me, it brings back the fun of making music  :-)
And its got good midi support, so you can use your gear. :lol: