Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another (old) newbie !  (Read 1979 times)

Description:

Offline willblokeTopic starter

• Show all replies
Another (old) newbie !
« on: June 18, 2011, 01:59:45 PM »
Well !

Where to start ?
I had an original A500 back in the day ( in fact I think it's still in the loft )
Was an absolute rabid Amigan , but eventually faced the inevitable and turned to Mr Gates finest whilst doing an Engineering Degree .
I did build an A1200 into a tower case many moons ago , I still have it , but I fear it probably won't startup after about 10 years of storage.

I should add that I work in a University and support about 30 PCs and 25 Macs with 5 Pro-tools equipped recording studios .
That's half the reason I started looking on the web yesterday for Amiga stuff.
Back in the day I used Music-X with various synths and a sampler to make a racket and I was wondering if it would be possible to run WinUAE with MIDI software ?

But then I started looking as to what hardware was still available .

I'm kinda stuck now as to how to proceed , I think first task is to see if my A1200 will spinup its HD and go from there .

Anyway , hello , I'm sure I will have loads of stupid questions as I'm so rusty !

Will

Offline willblokeTopic starter

• Show all replies
Re: Another (old) newbie !
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 04:18:22 PM »
Right , well it's more a nostalgia trip really .
I have a Pro-tools 9 rig on a Mac Pro ( don't hurt me!) , for all my music noodleings .

I'm going up in the loft later and drag down the A1200 I put in a tower and see if it'll play ball.
It's got a MIDI interface in the case .
Now , I've found Bars and Pipes available on the net , but haven't found Music-X , I'm guessing it's still owned by someone.
I should , in theory , still have the install disc for Music-X , but I really don't know if it will still be readable .

The other thing is , I fancy having a crack at some of the old games , Carvup , SWIV , Lotus Turbo, Turrican  and 4 player Bomberman was the absolute mutts nuts !

Since posting my intro I have been mooching around the web and found the "new" Commodore 64 !?

This has got me thinking .
I still have a CDTV somewhere , I could strip the guts and install a mini-itx mobo .
I'm sure this will be considered heresy , but the CD drive doesn't work so the CDTV isn't really much use as it is .

Hmmmmm  ...