Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Back in the game - User from Lacona, NY USA  (Read 865 times)

Description:

Offline NlandasTopic starter

• Show only replies by Nlandas
Back in the game - User from Lacona, NY USA
« on: February 04, 2008, 06:48:43 PM »
I started using Amigas at the release of the Commodore A2000 way back in the day.(end of 1997) I of course had been a big Commodore fan since my first Vic 20. I went Vic 20, C64, watched the C128 and read everything that I could find on the Amiga 1000. (Dreamed about one for what seemed like forever.)

I added an 8088 bridgecard to handle my CIS assignments when I went to college.(1989) I used the same machine from 1987 until 1993 when I sold it to buy an Amiga 4000/030. I got one of the first ones released to the US at the Commodore show in NYC that year. Scary walking with thousands of $$$ in your shoes. I also picked up a new 386 Bridgeboard to replace the 8088.

I carried the machine and bridgeboard down the streets of NYC on my shoulder to Grand Central. With pan handlers asking me for change, like I'm going to stop and put down the box. :-)

I stupidly sold her in 1996 thinking that I'd just wait until something new was released. :-?  Well with nothing new on the horizon and my 4 year old son getting into computers I picked up an A4000 and my cousin gave me his A1200.

I decided to jump back in full guns and upgrade the units as much as I could and install later versions of the OS. I of course was rusty so I came to the forums to see if the original spirit of helpfulness was still there. Well let me tell you, it's alive and well. I needed help getting my CDROM going to install AOS 3.5 and A4000_Mad hooked me right up. I had the standard problem with over 4-8GB HD support and again A4000_Mad and Thomas helped me fix that. Many others have helped me with information and I've read a lot of excellent posts here to get additional information. :-D

I wanted to thank everyone at Amiga.org. As long as the community continues to help each other out like this - Amiga will truely never die. ;-)

-Nyle      
I think, Therefore - Amiga....

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: Back in the game - User from Lacona, NY USA
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 07:00:39 PM »
I have been visitin this site since 2000, before the big hack  :-)

There has never been anywhere on the net I visit as much as this site.  Few times a day in work, and a few times a night at home if im in.

There are a lot of helpful and kind people on this site.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"